exercise equipment

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Smitfire, May 7, 2014.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Anyone got any recommendations for good quality cardio equipment that's not going to break the bank?
    A stationary bike or maybe a cross trainer?
    Just something to hop on in front of the telly or whack a quick HIIT session out.
    I've read a few reviews and the same piece of kit can get a 1 star and then a 5 star so personal experience would be great.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Do you have a push bike?

If so why no go for a [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adjustable-Magnetic-Handlebar-Adjuster-Exercise/dp/B00B32P4HI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1399491431&sr=8-4&keywords=turbo+trainers+for+bikes"]turbo trainer?[/ame]

That way you get something that isn't confined to just working out inside, but also something that makes use of what you already have.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That looks interesting but I can't see me lugging my crappy mountain bike in and out every time I want a blitz on it.
    My missus wants to use it too and there's no way she'd be faffing about with that kit.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Kettle bells. Skipping Rope. Sandbag. :)

Mitch

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

skipping rope

7. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Are you looking for something that works with you (non strenuous) and not so large/cumbersome?

You can always purchase something used, and if it isn't what you need, re-sell, at least you will not have too much invested.

Are you really looking for a machine or a routine?

Are you looking for a fast cardio or medium speed type just to get the heart rate a little high?

8. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Bulgarian sand bag thingey (the sand bags you swing around that you can make with a general sports bag packed with stuff).

Kettlebells.

Generic sand bag.

Skipping rope.

Adult channels and a box of tissues. :p.

If it wasn't for the "pop it in front of the tele" bit, I would have said a battle rope. Those things are beastly.

Hmm, have you thought about anything with resistance bands?

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Can't beat the exercise bike when it comes to value-for-money kit capable of providing low impact, high intensity work.

10 mph @ 30-40% resistance for aerobic conditioning, 20 mph sprints @ 70-80% resistance for HIIT.

I switched from running and skipping to the exercise bike for my basic cardio needs because sore joints were interfering with my other training.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You guys...I've got a kettlebell (OK for me but too heavy for the wife) and skipping rope (not enough space to use indoors).
    I'm after something my missus and me can use a couple of times a week when we get a spare half hour. Something that doesn't need technique to learn or much thought to use. Something that can be used slow and steady and for tabatas.
    I want an exercise bike dammit and was looking for recommendations or experience of a good one. :)

11. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

I bought a cheap (less than £100) exercise bike as cycling was recommended by my physio for a dodgy knee and I knew I wouldn't in all honesty go out cycling practically every day. I've found it great for rehab and building my cardio back up. The highest resistance setting isn't that resistive and if it's a steady pace for 30mins, it gets me sweating but not out of breath. However if I try to keep a speed up for a count or more tabata (if I could actually survive that) style then I get really our of breath. I was concerned it would end up just a clothes horse but it certainly gets used, my only caveat is that it's been my drive to get back to training and rehabbing my knee that has kept me focused on using it.

12. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I like the old style exercise bikes.

My mother has one..very rugged...

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/vintage-schwinn-exercise-bike

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

The heart is a dumb muscle it really doesn’t care what you do to it just that you exercise it, I brought a 1950s era old exercise bike from a charity shop for £5, its got manual resistance and a clock timer lol, but my heart rate still hits the desired range just the same as when using the expensive spin bike in my MMA gym, granted there are some things I cant do on it such as HICT but there are lots of different exercise protocals to chose from out there which I can do
    Honestly if you can buy a spin bike, but otherwise any standard piece of equipment will work its what you do with it that matters not what you have

And tabatas…please no!

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You know what I mean...just some timed intervals, fartlek kind of stuff.

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

lol yep i know, seriously any old bike will probably do, just make sure the seat is comfortable lol :cool:

16. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Ain't nothing wrong with Tabatas, damn it :p