Excercises for entire back

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DJHalliB, Feb 22, 2004.

1. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

Are the compound lifts (deadlift, squat, chins and dips) enough to cover all of the back area or is there something thats left out? If one is doing the above, will direct back work, isolated or not (preferably not!) needed? Or any other exercises at all.

2. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Just about.

Chins pull DOWN
    Deadlifts and/or shrugs pull UP
    Rowing style moves. pull BACK

Dips push DOWN
    Bench press pushes FORWARD
    Shoulder press pushes UP

Exept for your midsection and neck this is your upper body covered- job done.

Whatever you do don't use isolation exercises for the upper back unless told by a physio, chiro etc. that you must (in the case of rehab). The back is a very strong group of muscles designed to lift heavy loads. In other words 'use it or lose it'.

3. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

I would probably add in back raises ("supermans") as a good bodyweight exercise for the back.

4. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

I do bodyweight excercises along with other body-weight exercises. I'm talking about with weights here.

5. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Combatant is right on the money here. On a basic level, you can visualize the direction of movement, and train accordingly. Horizontal pushing (bench press), Horizontal pulling (barbell or dumbbell row), Vertical pushing (overhead press), Vertical pulling (pull-up). There are of, course, variations of each exercise, but these are the primary upper-body movement patterns.

6. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

A 45 degree clean and press could probably just pull it off...
    :p