Exam timetables to accomadate Ramadan

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by CrowZer0, Jan 7, 2016.

1. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35244444

Why is this seen as an issue with some people? I've been hearing this debated since yesterday on radio. I still don't get the issue.

I do though have an issue with younger kids fasting and wonder what impact it would have on their long term health.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It's an issue because stupid people think they will automatically become a Muslim (which wouldn't be a bad thing, considering the lifestyles of some individuals).

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

We don't have exams during Christian religious festivals either.

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

"because this is a christian country with judeo-christian values"
    "because we shouldnt bend to the will of minorities"
    "becuase we simply dont care about young people who on the whole are the children of decent contributing citizens and will one day themselves be contributing citizens"

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

There's nothing really to debate, they've noticed a potential issue and made a sensible small change to reduce that problem.

If your against sensible, small changes, then your a small minded bigot who in all likelihood failed these exams the first time around.

PS that wasn't aimed at anyone here!

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

No its not, although I would be in favour of more jebus type behaviour by the government

A) throw out the money lenders
    B) make the rich give to the poor
    C) judge people on their actions, not there words.
    D) see if Tory's can walk on water, via practical experimentation.

7. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

In recent polls, the majority do not see themselves as Christians in the UK.

8. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I am not a christian but I do strongly hold British protestant christian values.

While I greatly admire the cunning of any religion that builds a month of self imposed starvation, sleep deprivation, and brain washing into its observances, on balance I think the practice is perverse.

9. Mangosteen

I think the conclusion around those polls are - Many people identify as christian but dont attend church for anything except special events (weddings etc) and are only christian by label.

Personally another issue bothers me more - the high reports of sexual harassment in germany this new years blamed again on religion (islam) and migrants (brown people)

it scares the crap out of me cos i care for the safety of people, especially the female folk in my life but also cos the resentment towards a brown guy with an islamic surname and heritage is suuuuper high right now

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  10. Mangosteen

we are a christian country - head of state is head of church much like iran

11. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Tell that to the Mail.

I would have a problem if there were special circumstances being made to accomodate it for just muslims. Like if they were given an extra week before they had to take the exams because that's unfair. But as its being applied across the board and everyone's still on equal footing, I'm cool with it.

The idea that we're a christian countries and protecting our oh so important values (that no one gives a toss about before the terrible scary muslamics come knocking :rolleyes:) is more important than giving kids a chance to take exams that effect their future when they're in the best shape to do so is stupid. There are a lot of stupid people.

Ultimately if you click this trending story on facebook all my first results are the Mail, the Mirror, UKIP and a number of local "protect this or that" groups. Tells me all I need to know really.

12. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

As Southpaw says, it's not as though certain groups are getting extra time before the exams, it applies to everyone taking them so there's basically no issue apart from it being a sign that the powers that be have realised that the make-up of the country is changing. That being said, I do remember around the Olympics people were talking about them being in the middle of ramadan and it affecting the performance of some athletes and (I think it was) Mo Farah said that they could perform the fast later in the year or make a donation after talking to their religious leaders if there were certain circumstances. I don't think parents of muslim kids would like that approach though, with it being at the time of their lives when they're supposed to be acting like good adults (regardless of denomination).

From another point of view though, I suppose it's a good thing - I always used to curse the exam boards for having the exams when I was either full of cold and snotting everywhere or full of hayfever and snotting everywhere. If they're going to change the exam period it would have suited me some 12-15 years ago!

13. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

doing ones best not to judge others christian value, a sense of fairness christian value, a sense of obligation to society a British Christian value but not so much an american one. These ideas have been important for centuries.

it should be noted however that Christan values are not exclusive to Christians - many values are shared not just by the Judaeo christian faiths but across a wide range of unrelated faiths and by secular ideology's.

14. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Ehh, I think those values are shaped by the same evolution of morality that says "How about no bear baiting and not tying cats together and lighting their tails on fire?" more than they are distinctly Christian.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If memory serves (memory of the subject rather than memory of actually being there when animals were tortured) the cat burning had a christian facet to it because animals were deemed to have no soul and so couldn't truly feel pain. Or somesuch other sort of theological self arguing rational.

16. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Yeah no idea - a lack of moral obligation towards animals seems to be pretty cross cultural though. Heck, even today you can see people slicing up live octopus, dousing them with vinegar then eating them in Japan. I haven't really done enough research on it, but I know what I'll be reading about this weekend :]

17. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I have had fun reading messages from angry people spitting into their breakfast about whether we would do this for lent. One point is I don't know if that's already taken into account by tradition at this point, and another is that I've met maybe 2 people in my entire life who actually observe lent. I've met a large number of muslims who observe ramadan.

I'm just really bored of the muslim thing in the news now. Can we go back to stories about man holes being changed to people holes or the EU moaning about our bananas being too bendy? I know both of those stories were made up so at least this one actually has some vague form of journalistic integrity in that its actually happened so that's a step forward, but I want to see the pitchfork crowd go after something other than this week's thing islam is doing to take over the country. Its been years now. Surely there's someone else in the world I'm meant to be scared of by this point?

18. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Most Christians seem to have forgotten about the whole sacrifice and fasting bits that they're supposed to be doing though. And the usury, that's gone clean out of their heads.

Muslims, on the whole, follow the teachings of Christ far more closely than Christians.

Apart from the boozing, 'cos Christ did love a tipple.

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

To be fair, any of us would get wasted at our final meal if we were about to get nailed to a giant cross.

20. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

That really does become a problem with some people again.

And the worst, if I remember correctly: If the mayor wouldn't have said pretty much right away: "no, it wasn't an asylum seeker or refugee" made it even worse, because the police wasn't nearly done with their work.

So, now there are those racists, who would blame it on refugees either way, who actually can make arguments now about how refugees get "protected" here, because this mayor said right away "no way it were one of them" - even though, nobody knew who did it.

I mean, in honesty, some of the refugees and asylum seekers do commit crimes here - no one can deny that, unfortunately.
    The real problem that comes out of that is, that they cast a poor light on all of the, who do nothing at all :(
    Because, it's the bad guys that get in the news, and hardly the good guys :(

The funny thing is - as someone, who actually goes to church all now and then (more out of habit and because I'm still an altar servant and like the people; I don't like the big institution, but our perish), I should know tons of people that really "observe lent" (I'm stealing your words here, so I hope their correct ;) ).
    I'm pretty sure nearly no one actually does that.

I know a young man, very devoted - I think, even he didn't do it all the time, but only for a few days.

I know, I don't do it but I eat just like I usually do.