Ever wonder what's posted on Chinese martial arts forums?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by slipthejab, Aug 13, 2010.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Ever wonder what topics get discussed on Chinese language martial arts forums? China has one of the largest and most active online communities in the world and it's not showing any signs of slowing. So... what type of threads are getting made on Chinese martial arts forums? What problems do Chinese martial artist worry about... What topics are they interested in? Do they have the same doubts/curiosities and prejudices that we do? Let's find out! :D

Below is a quick transliteration of the topics. Hmmm. not really all that much different from what we have here at MAP minus a Ninja or two! MMA is also rather absent as well.

:hat: and yes the transliteration makes some of it quite amusing!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Taebe honest didnae see to much squidgy init. Slip

3. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Yes i would imagine those Chinese woman are wildcats,when out of the public eye.

From what this guy was asking>>>>> What to do with my girlfriend ah gangster strong demand we help ah

4. slipthejab

ah I took that one to mean that a guy and his girl we being asked to 'help' a gangster... eg. blackmailed or coerced into something. Not all that uncommon in China. :p

5. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Nice slip. Did you do the translation yourself? If so much obliged nice to see another perspective!

6. slipthejab

Actually, I just ran it through Google. My head is aching from the stone lock thread translations. The transliteration of this done by Google does give it a bit of humor. :p
    I was amused by how similar the types of questions and concerns are even though it's from the other side of the world! :hat:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I love bad translations from Chinese to English...then again we giggle at the vice versa :p

8. slipthejab

Yes the same happens in the other direction as well. :p

Also just to point out that is the difference between an actual translation and merely a transliteration. Spending more and more time doing even the most rudimentary translations from Chinese to English I now see the role and craft of the translator in a very different light.

One example that hits me every day is how the person who translates Haruki Murakami's books from Japanese to English can hit many of the subtleties and manage to get that feeling of strangeness that Murakami is known for. It's got be incredibly hard!

9. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

Wow, almost as bad as the english subtitles for Ip Man! lol

Love this one: Exaggerate the role of martial arts with the neglect of the role of martial arts is the same mistake

hahaha

10. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Years ago we had to deal with books and articles which often had less than satisfying translation.It does require extreme fluency in both languages.Very hard work.

As a former Nationalist general was translated in the last line of his book on T'ai Chi-

"Let us go to sweat for success!"

Always liked the look on new student's faces when i used that one on 'em.

11. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I remember being told "When you see an opening enter magnificently."

Boldly would have been enough for me at the time.

12. Suhosthe

Suhosthe A dwarf! A dwarf!

"- I talk about my ideas, do not spray ah"

Definitely my favourite. :D

13. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I hate Chinese ppl.

14. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

HuH? how do you cheat on Martial arts??? or does this guy have a girlfriend call kungfu?
    or is is girlfriend too much kungfu? ie. needing too much hard work?
    o_O

15. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

HuH? how do you cheat on Martial arts??? or does this guy have a girlfriend call kungfu?
    or is is girlfriend too much kungfu? ie. needing too much hard work?
    o_O

16. -Harlequin-

-Harlequin- Valued Member

Lol :)