Ever try a new style and return to TKD?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by franksv, Oct 26, 2006.

1. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Just wondering what anybodys exp may have been in trying a new style,only to return to tkd.I went off on a two year journey into kung fu only to realize the grass is not that much greener and returned to my long term art of taekwondo.

I am not saying that one is better,I just kept missing alot things about tkd.I would also end up practicing tkd a few times a week,even though I said I was finished with it.

No more stand up striking styles for me.If I ever find the time,or desire to add more to my plate,I ll go with a grappling style.

2. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

of course

I've done a little Aikido then then went back to TKD
    the i've done Koburyu Karate and went back to TKD
    now i'm doing Hapkido, and tying it into my TKD

people can flame tkd all they want but i still love it. :D And i think the Hapkido is perfect for the holes in my TKD training.

btw the Hapkido we do is Jointlocks, Grappling, Throws and Groundfighting with a few more kicks added in that we didn't do all that often at my TKD school.

3. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

We do that in TKD :rolleyes:

Stuart

4. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i can try this and that but TKD is the only true love :D

5. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

yes but not everyone lives in London :p

I'd come train with you in a heart beat but i can't even come close to affording a ticket out there. :eek:

6. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Where'd you train kung fu at? Remember what particular style of kung fu?

7. flammee

flammee Valued Member

Yeah,

I tried out fitness boxing (there was old olympic level boxer), got fast back to tkd,
    trained wing chun, back to tkd,
    hanmoodo, back to tkd,
    wado ryu karate, back to tkd,
    aikido, back to tkd,
    taido, feel like there's a need to crosstrain a little bit of tkd..

Well, at least I have learnt that arts that put emphasis on kicking are my thing.

8. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Backyard training with a senoir student of a big name teacher.The style was hsing-i.

If you want more info, pm me.

9. X-caliber

X-caliber New Member

well im only a yellow belt but i was thinking about doing judo also because my dojan offers it in a differnt school 1 town away(i think its judo or mabye its judjitsue well its the korean one)

10. X-caliber

X-caliber New Member

ha ya me too i jus said lol i didn notice that the first time aroind ha

11. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Ha ha...

Yes...not only myself but almost every single athletic friend of mine who has been around for a long time has experimented with other styles and come back to TKD.

You hear a lot about 'aliveness' in training. That is the current catch word in many MMA schools. TKD training is VERY alive. Our classes are ones of constant motion, sweat, cardio, etc, etc. After a good TKD class I feel like I've purified my whole system. My dobok is literally drenched.

12. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Anybody come into TKD from kickboxing or muay thai?