Ever been on holiday or day trips alone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by u6s68, Sep 2, 2014.

1. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

I have a week off work with no plans and wondered if anyone had got out and about in solitude? If so where did you go and what was the experience like?

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Just got back from a week's (working) holiday to the States. Was great. Went walking, driving, horseback riding, shooting, and more. Can get lonely at times, but going solo means you pick and choose your own itinerary. Depends what you're looking for really.

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I'm going to Germany tomorrow alone for a week. I've also been to Amsterdam and London. It's great, you can literally do whatever you want. I stay in hostels, people staying there are generally more friendly and open to talking and making friends, if that's what you want.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

spent a day in iceland just touristing about. it was awesome :D. didn't get to do that much, but it was pretty cool, even though i only walked about, took pics, bought stuff and trained at crossfit reykjavík (oh, and slipped on the ice every two minutes or so :p).

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Yeah, a few times. Just short weekends away in Sweden a few times, Portugal once. It's good. As VZ said, you get to do what you want to do. Portugal I went surfing, Sweden was gigs, tattoos and shopping / looking around the city.

As for day trips, all the time. Always have done. Nothing special, just wonder around a city, do a bit of record/comic/book shopping and maybe see something of interest.

I think the only time it can be a bit depressing or you might feel a bit weird is if you go to a proper restaurant. I always find eating out on my own not much fun. And I think you look a bit like a serial killer. Eating can be such a social activity.

Just do it mate. Go on a whole bunch of day trips, Stoke (You're in Stoke, right?) is pretty central, or nip up to Scotland for couple of days, Edinburgh is ace, and do a few days somewhere else. Avoid Liverpool at all costs though. You could even travel and do some training.

I'll go to gigs on my own if it's a decent band and out of town. A lot of my mates have young kids or can't be bothered to travel (getting old), and I am not going to miss a good band because of that. So I'll have a little road trip and go and see a good band. You can't talk to anyone in the gig anyway, so I just turn up 10 mins before the bands start and it's ok. I usually bump into people at some point in the night, but not always.

You can't always rely on other people to do things with you. And It's good to go out and get some time all for yourself.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  6. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

Ever had any trouble at hostels?

7. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

Do you recommend train or car for transport? Congestion v convenience?

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i go on trips by myself all the time. i love taking the wife and kids places, but you know, everyone needs a break sometimes.

last fall, i drove to columbus ohio by myself to see the usa play mexico in a world cup qualifier. it was great. made friends, we grabbed dinner, went to the game, hung out afterwards. spent the night in columbus and drove back the next day. it was only 24 hours, but had a great time. plus, the usa won 2-0.

i'm probably going to do it again in the next couple years. i think i'm going to take 3-4 days, go to london, catch arsenal and a couple other london teams games, take in the city. (which we've been to a couple times and absolutely love)

9. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

The USA's football team is getting better all the time. Looking forward to Geoff Cameron getting fit for Stoke again.

10. Kave

Kave Lunatic

I hitch-hiked around New Zealand solo. I had no plans of where to go or what to do so I was able to go wherever the road took me. I find that if you are traveling alone you meet a lot more people, when you are by yourself other people seem more inclined to approach you. I recommend staying in hostels for the social aspect.

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Try both and see which one you prefer! ;)

I used to use either, but mostly the train as it's just less hassle. I prefer the train these days as I drive around a lot for work and I find driving such a drag. Gigs or a day hike in the forest is different though. Trains help with road rage too!

Sweden and Portugal. I used a plane for those!

12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Not a bit. I try to get a female only dorm when I can though, just because. I find staying in a dorm less distant than a hotel. The shady images of hostels are very far removed from reality. Use a site like hostel world or hostel bookers and pick the top rated ones. With the internet it's almost impossible to stay in a bad hostel if you do your research first. Or you can book a premier inn far enough in advance for £30-£40.

Staying in a hostel's not for everyone, you do have to be prepared to be disturbed a bit with people coming back and forth. I use earplugs and don't hear a thing.

Where are you thinking of going? If its your first time away alone, I'd go abroad but only for a 3 day midweek break or something. If you really don't like it, its a much shorter window. Plan your activities out but leave some room for wandering about and seeing the sites. Oh, and local beer, every time.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  13. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Ever get out to the Arnold Fitness Expo?

14. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Depends where you want to go. UK trains are expensive, but so is petrol and parking and stress. Any destination in mind?

15. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Solo trips can be loads of fun. The nice thing is that you can be very selfish and do whatever it is you like...

I usually pick a city and reserve a hotel smack in the middle of a bunch of attractions. Then I can get up early, walk around a lot, have a nice lunch, nip back to the hotel for a nap before going out a bit for the night. For added fun, you can aim at places that have a martial arts studio (especially if a MAPper runs it or attends it) and get a bit of a visit in there.

You may feel 'weird' going places (esp. restaurants) alone, but really... who cares? Just have fun and enjoy the experience.

Where are you thinking about going?

(I like to go places by train or plane so I don't have to worry about a car/parking/fuel/etc)

16. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

+1. i stayed in hostels when visiting friends in sweden, finland and poland (which i didn't mention because while "alone", i spent most of my time with them :p) and had a positive experience in all three places.

17. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I pretty much don't stay anywhere else now. Last time I went to Amsterdam with my friend, we shared a twin room with a private bathroom in a hostel for £25 a night each with breakfast. A hotel would have cost twice that at least, and probably been at the cheaper end of the scale.

Poland's on my list of places to go too.

18. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

I'm thinking York and Dorset. Maybe Camb too.

19. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I went to Weymouth in Dorest a few months ago for a day trip. It's really nice, there's lots of B&B's on the seafront and nearby too.

20. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I went to San Jose by myself for a few days (from London,UK). Although I did have a friend drive me about for a bit, trained at AKA Gym.
    NYC I stayed at a friend's place but I was more just jaunting around, solo doing touristy stuff.
    I love doing touristy stuff though.

Not sure if that counts as solo travel though, as I always had friends and family about?

I been up and down the country by myself, competing in wrestling comps. My friend (a tiny little Asian girl) by herself did an entire solo hike around Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia. I'm too spoilt to do that I think. :p