Evaluating a school

Discussion in 'Judo' started by binski20, May 24, 2003.

1. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

I am interested in starting Judo and am able to watch some classes before I would start. My question is, what should I look for? I know I should get a view on how sport/self defense oriented they are. How the teacher works with the students etc. But artwise, are there any keys I can look for to see if the techniques and ideas they teach are true to Judo?

2. Jim

Jim New Member

Hard question to answer (I know because Andy asked me the other day...).

It all comes down to what it is that you want out of a martial art. The things to watch for would be the way the instructor behaves in class and out and the way the students behave in class and out. Technique wise I would watch for exertion (as in does it look like there is a lot of strength being used to 'lift' each other and throw), safety (hard to guage when you don't know what to look for - but mainly when people are messing around/talking/laughing while throwing), use of class time to good effect (too much/too little of warm ups/warm downs, talking rather than doing) and other concerns (I'll elaborate later - running out of time).