European Swordfighting

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Freeform, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

This article may be of interest regarding Spanish - Filipino MA
    http://www.thearma.org/essays/influence.htm

I practice/use the training equivelent of the broadsword which is Single-stick, a 3ft Ash wood stick with a leather or whicker basket guard to protect the hand. Much of the guards/cuts are similar to FMA.
    It's interesting to note that some early pictures of FMA have sticks with a hand guard similar to those used in Single-stick training by British & American navy of the same period.

Louie

Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  2. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I think I've posted this before on this forum, but I hope it doesn't matter if I post it again :Angel:

Rumous has it that portugese sailers that came to japan in the 16th.century had a certain influence on japanese swordplay. Acording to those rumours, the japanese were so impressed with the rapier/dagger combination in duels that they evolved a katana/wakisashi-combo to exploit the possebilities. A friend of mine has supplemented my love for this rumor by informing me that fighting with a katana/wakisashi-combination was by some scools called "To fight the barbarian way". :D

This is pure speculations, but isn't it quite realistic that where different refined combatcultures meet, they tend to compare? I think this happened wherever open minded and truely dedicated younger european officers met with local cultures in the east.