Euro Strength!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Brian R. VanCis, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Okay I am curious as to how the strong Euro is playing with all the Europeans here on Martial Arts Planet. Are businesses booming and people enjoying the overall strength that the Euro is exhibiting? As someone who sells books, dvd's, etc. to many people in Europe I have definately noticed an upswing in sales to Europe in general. (particularly the UK and the Netherlands)

So how is this affecting you?

2. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

It is interesting that you see an upswing in the UK...we still use Sterling...which is doing badly against the strong Euro!!

I guess we are committed shoppers. :D

(I hope your business continues to thrive in the New Year.)

Carys.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Weak dollar = cheap products from America for us.

4. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

:D :D

I source most of my stuff from the US because of this!!

5. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

But it also means the goods and services we export to America will appear more expensive to them. Good thing I'm firmly on the importing side :D

6. Brian R. VanCis

How about food in general is it cheaper now in Europe?

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

No, the average consumer wont necessarily feel it.

8. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Not at christmas time! :D

9. Brian R. VanCis

I can only imagine because everybody tries to make a killing during the Holiday's!

10. JEEPEE

JEEPEE Valued Member

The day is close when oil will be payed in Euros,instad of Dollars,my friends.
    Whe will see who will be on the laughing side then !!!
    You don't seem to realise what is gooing on in this world,but if this go's on,the EURO will become the dominant factor on a worldscale !!!

11. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

What are the exchange rate between the Dollar and Pound and the Euro?
    http://www.bloomberg.com/invest/calculators/currency.html

1.00 EURO (EUR) = 1.4724 US DOLLAR (USD)
    1.00 EURO (EUR) = 0.7375 BRITISH POUND (GBP)
    1.00 US DOLLAR (USD) = 0.5009 BRITISH POUND (GBP)

Yea, we have another year before anyone does something about the internal fiscal policy in this country the United States, I am American after all. Wonder what would happen if United States went into complete depression there would possibly be a change in government than. If it went on to long the country would ...

Is that a current calculation on exchange rate or has it changed again?

12. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Apparently, the Pound recently hit an all time low against the Euro.

Food prices are always going to be affected by other issues, I believe dairy produce is at an all time high, and of course the high cost of oil and feed contributes to everything.

13. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

What do you mean by complete depression

14. nready

Yea I figured someone would ask. I should have been more specific.

I am thinking if ever there was around unemployment of more than 40%, with the dollar being worth so little that you could not buy hardly anything. One not even being able to buy the necessary things,food/clothing.

I doubt there would be much change for America if that happened because we ain't stood up yet we wont ever with what I see now.

15. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

Not being able to buy food/cloths is not really anything to do with the value of a single dollar but the relationship between wages and prices (or to be more accurate wages / savings and prices, although wages are the far bigger factor).

Whilst for a country that imports lots of goods it is true a drop in the value of the currency will make imported goods more expensive in the short term, some of the damge is offset by boosts to exporters and home grown industries and this rise in import prices is often only temporary as a floating currency will adjust the value of an individual dollar (assuming the fed is not run by complete idiots) to match the dollar’s purchasing power inside the US closer to it’s value outside the states, although this will have an adverse effect on savings not invested and some pensions.

If oil was traded in Euro’s the Sharpe fall in demand for the dollar would be a one time external shock to the US economy and this alone will have many effects but what they will be in the long and medium term is very debatable and uncertain. Whether such a shock would be strong enough to cause such extreme unemployment as you described I doubt (mainly because monetary policy can mop up a lot of the damage in real terms but an individual dollar would end up loosing a lot of it’s value).
    What do you mean by this?

Confucius said (and I find this o be very true) that for a successful state; in the long term you need 3 things:

1. food
    2. weapons
    3. a certain amount of trust in the state

Whilst there may be many things wrong with the US but I’d wager the majority of the people still trust institutions like the police to enforce the law, the army to defend them, democracy to ensure people who’ve been really really bad too get kicked out of office, ect.

16. nready

The democracy that once existed in this country that made me believe enough to join the military no longer exists. I no longer believe in my country so much so I will never vote again.
    Just my opinion.

17. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

That'll show them.

18. soyez efficaces

soyez efficaces Valued Member

can we blame Tony Blair??

funny..my mom was just ranting at me about that on the phone recently :D

paul

19. nready

Well of course it does. The thing is I am with out power in anyway in America, there is nothing I can do that would change how thing are going. Well with out using a weapon.

20. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

I did a lot of shopping when the CND $ was worth more than the USD :D