EU referendum

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cloudz, Feb 23, 2016.

1. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I have family in Ireland so I could probably persuade my parents to move. But house prices are just as insane as they are here. :topic:

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If youve got family, you should be able to get their passport, (dual nationality) which means you get to keep eu status!

3. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

4. JamesChurch75

JamesChurch75 Banned Banned

I hope that Teresa May invokes article 50 soon!!

5. Dead_pool

Because?

Why sooner then later? Why give us less time to negotiate what deal we'll get.
    as soon as its triggered by an act of parliament, theres a limit of 2 years for negotiations.

Since the UK hasnt got any negotiators, and we'll have to get in outsiders to do this (irony or what) isnt it best to do things when were ready, instead of acting like a teenager with their first girlfriend.

6. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Keep in mind that apparently, she cannot legally do so without a majority vote in parliament according to some 1000+ UK lawyers.

Other than your gut feeling, what exactly do you think this will improve? What will article 50 change for you?

You will still need access to the EU market so you are going to have to allow freedom of movement. You will want to trade with the single market, exchange intelligence data and cooperate with Interpol. So you will basically have to implement most if not all EU regulations.

The only practical change I see is that the UK will no longer get rebates, and has no voice anymore in the decision making process.

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Delaying tactic is delaying tactic, but I'm still hoping the Government loses the case & is forced to put it to a Parliamentary vote and/or legislative process. That will take time.

8. Dead_pool

9. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Invoking article 50 now or later does not give you less or more time. Negotiations with the UE do not start until it is activated.

10. Dead_pool

Official negotiations yes, unofficial ones definitely are starting now.

Theresa May's is currently on her way to Germany as we speak.

11. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Aye. And the EU have said that there will be no informal pre-negotiations. There is a reason why it's written that way: leaving the EU will be done with a comfortable safety net.

To make an analogy: invoking article 50 is like jumping out of an airplane without a parachute, and you have until you hit the ground to complete negotiation. It should be obvious that the power balance during the negotiation whilst falling is different than when you're both still on the airplane.

12. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Just because you can't have informal pre-negotiations doesn't mean you can't set groundwork. Theresa May's relationships with the key players will impact the way those players deal with the UK during the negotiating period.

13. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

It’s a glorified meet and greet. There will be no substantive talks, formal or informal. Still thank your elders for getting you out of this undemocratic quagmire and vortex of self-determination.

14. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

*gasp* You mean...we're divorcing our Government?!

*jumps for joy*

:p

15. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

That's how high level politics works. Personal relationships between leaders matter. Merkel will be heavily involved in setting the tone for formal negotiations - it's crazy to think her personal relationship with British officials wont play some role in that - we went to war with Iraq almost entirely on the basis of Bush and Blair's friendship.

16. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

That's how any relationship works. all I'm saying is there will be no nitty gritty. It's a meet and greet. One that matters in laying out a good foundation for future talks, but a meet and greet nonetheless. if I'd have to guess I'd say May will try but Merkel will shut it down.

17. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

A good reason not to pile up one on top of another. At least people get to vote part of their governments into office at a national level. Well, the people who turn up at the booth, that is. The Europe of nations was an excellent idea as far as I’m concerned. It all went downhill from there.

18. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I mean we elected 2 out of 3 parts of the European government too

19. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

That's 33% more democratic than the United Kingdom.

Good job we're all living in Gove's post-fact world now. We don't need no steenkin' experts :p

20. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter