EU referendum

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cloudz, Feb 23, 2016.

1. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

My guess is if nothing happens by the end of summer we could face riots.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Nah, there's no sense of urgency from anyone in the leave side.

Plus, the reasons most people voted leave have no tangible effect on their lives, so there's no motivation to riot. So long as the politicians keep on saying we are going to leave as soon as is sensible, people will be content to wait.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I think as its mostly the well off, the middle aged and the elderly who voted out, They'll be no actual physical riots, But they'll be a rise in every day racism, and more of our hard working friends from the EU will leave.

Im hoping Teresa May might start funding the NHS and schools properly in order to both stimulate the economy, and quieten down the worried outers who voted in order to save 350 million a week for the NHS.

But considering Hunt has stayed as health secretary, and hes going ahead with the Drs contract (upto 50% of training places not filled this year due to it), that's not going to happen.

4. Dead_pool

The leave group played on peoples fears, Ignorant peoples fears - and as we all well know -

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate(crimes). Hate(crimes) leads to (economic, and social) suffering.” – Yoda

5. holyheadjch

How does funding the nhs and education system stimulate the economy?

6. Dead_pool

Teachers and nurses (and cleaners, support assistants etc) spend their wages direct into the economy, they also help prepare the next generation of workers, or patch up the current generation of workers so they can keep producing and consuming.

Tax breaks for millionaires dont nessasarily have the same effect.

7. holyheadjch

That's not a particularly cost effective way of doing it. For every pound you put into the health service, only a fraction finds its way into paychecks.

You fund the NHS because you want a healthy population. If you want to stimulate the economy with taxpayers money, you fund big infrastructure projects.

8. Dead_pool

Your confusing staffing costs, with general nhs funding.
    staffing is approx 60% of costs

nhs staffing costs immediately go back into circulation.

its not the main aim, but it certainly doesnt hurt.

9. holyheadjch

How do you justify giving some public sector workers pay rises and not others?

10. Dead_pool

Who said pay rises (although inflation would be nice) we desperatly just need more staff.

11. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I would expect something similar, though I've also seen David Davis has postured that he would look to trigger Article 50 by the end of the year, which is already doing the rounds on social media. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...david-davis-declares-article-50-should-be-tr/

Of course he has no real say in it really and Theresa seems to be hinting at a different possibility, but lo and behold a lot of Brexit voters are already taking this as law.

I would expect to see protests in the new year if it's not triggered by then, too. Maybe not big ones, but angry ones.

12. holyheadjch

You can't just produce new medics and nurses, you need to train them (which takes years/decades) or, ironically, bring them in from overseas. The UK just became a significantly less attractive place for foreign medical personnel to work.

13. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Sorry I haven't read the rest of this. I don't have the intelligence to understand the politics/economics.

Anyone considering leaving the UK because of this? Where would you go to?

14. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I overheard some taxi drivers talking about the same thing. And I heard one say the Philippines :thinking:

15. Dead_pool

[Holyheadjch;1074994601]You can't just produce new medics and nurses, you need to train them (which takes years/decades) or, ironically, bring them in from overseas. The UK just became a significantly less attractive place for foreign medical personnel to work.[/QUOTE]

A) yes you are correct, which is why cutting bursaries for nurses is so short sighted.

b) many people work for agencys as working conditions in the NHS have gone from bad to worse, and the nhs isnt filling the places of people who leave.

c) many drs (50% after FY2 years) leave the UK because of the poor working conditions.
    D) getting rid of the EWT directive is about to make everything worse.

16. holyheadjch

I think we're doing that thing where we're arguing about something we completely agree on.

17. holyheadjch

Yep, I've looked into opportunities in Canada, New Zealand and Ireland.

18. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Thanks

I'll consider those. What are the pros/cons of those choices?

My Dad has bought a house in Slovakia so he is in despair.

19. Dead_pool

20. Dead_pool

Irish passport is going to be applied for, and i fit the requirements for nz.
    and I've found a way to be accepted by canada too!