'Essential batto & Kenjutsu: Killing Arts Of the Japanese Sword'

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Dead_pool, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

It's not who we are on the Internet, but what we do that defines us.

:yeleyes:

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I obsess over zombies and hate elves...what's my prize?

3. Dean Winchester

More DLC in December.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

WOOT!!!!

As long as its before the 22nd which is both my wife's birthday AND the Mayan end on the world (which I have hijacked for Z Day prep - more blades and guns!!!)

5. Dean Winchester

I'm putting in for an N7 jacket just so I can go all Shepard on them, world needs a saviour right?

6. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

I'm not saying that it isn't the best place for you but how do you really know?

Please don't take this the wrong way; however you are a young man and for all intents and purposes this is the only training you have known.

After you take some time off, it may be a good thing for you to try some different things and experience some new training.

IMO you have nothing to lose and at the least it may help you to gain a better perspective and you may ultimately still feel this is the best place for you.

Good luck

7. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Will Scott be covering the "hunchback shuffle" AKA the "Noto-moonwalk"? I think I've seen this type of movement elsewhere (backwards)..just not like this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P9vILr6qfI"]Taran demonstrating sword - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry, couldn't help it!

Something I can't quite place...but something made me think of TSKSR. No disrespect! Not sure what though. Hmmmm.

Good luck tomorrow Scott. I've been really wondering if he means what he says. I also wondered if he may have fact been posting here...already.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOMQmw0-fsE"]difference between martial and spiritual sword - YouTube[/ame]

He seems to almost maim himself here too (see 00:52 ish). If that was a shinken he'd be in trouble. Grip looks wrong throughout, he loos like he's holding it like a baseball bat. Maybe it's my eyes though? Maybe lineage is unimportant too....

[/Negativity]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  8. Dave Thatcher

Dave Thatcher New Member

Bit of mish-mash. That twirling Adalia bipunctata is too ninja movie for me. And again we see some "inspired" TSKSR. Awful stuff thanks to the WJJF mob.

The backwards shuffle is from the Batto-Ho section of the MJER, but it done running forwards. I first did this with Yamaguchi Katsuo sensei in his tiny home dojo, we had to do a silly walk as there wasn't enough room to run without hitting a wall.

Anyway ENOUGH picking, the guy has taken a beating now which would reduce most of you lot to tears.

Hope your meeting goes well today Scott with Tarun.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2012
  9. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

I didn't see any TSKSR in the clips at all, honestly.... but I'm really just seconding Dave's comments. No need to continue to point out issues in the material if Taran is actively seeking proper education in the subject.

All the best with the meeting, Scott... and, if you're still taking question suggestions, I'd ask exactly what Taran is wanting out of training in traditional Japanese arts, specifically Koryu... the realities may conflict with his ideas and aims of continuing Junsei Ryu, and I feel he should be aware of that.

10. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Unfortunately, Mr McCarnun cannot make today's meeting and has also had to cancel his travel from Hampshire (where he lives) to his dojo where he teaches on Saturday in Shropshire.

We plan to reschedule for another date.

11. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

That is unfortunate and hopefully he does have an opportunity to meet in the future.

Good luck

12. gapjumper

You do. But does he?

I remain sceptical.

13. Dave Thatcher

Dave Thatcher New Member

TSKSR

Second part of the vid, he uses the tuska hammerfist routine. I've seen someone do this to the mune before lol :hat:

14. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

I said WE plan to reschedule.
    AKA Kaiten Chiburi.

15. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Hmm, well, he only uses the strike to the tsuka once on the second clip, not in the first one, and that part is not really emphasized, nor is it exclusive to Katori Shinto Ryu. It's also found in Takeuchi Ryu, and, I believe, a couple of others. Additionally, the "Kaiten" part of that Chiburi would be the rotation of the blade, which is missing from the clips, if we're going to get technical. I have seen Ash McKee use a form of Kaiten Chiburi in clips demonstrating sword, but he gets it backwards... hitting the tsuka then rotating the blade. The actual sword methods shown in the clips of Taran showed no resemblance to any Katori Shinto Ryu methods I've seen, instead being more like a standing variation of Shohatto/Mae (as found in MSR, MJER, and Seitei Gata), with some other odd things thrown in.

16. gapjumper

The clumsy twirl that Taran tries, and appears to fumble and risk some finger loss if done with shinken, looks a bit like 2:00 in this clip.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ht5y1rX2zk"]Samurai Fight Scene - YouTube[/ame]

Not saying he or his teacher learned it from this movie though :)

The bit about Ash McKee doing kaiten chiburi in the wrong order is funny/scary.

Teaching such pap and writing a book about it could put alot of people at serious risk of injury. As we have seen he himself would be maimed if he had used a shinken.

17. ludde

ludde Valued Member

Why are we still beating the horse?

18. gapjumper

I find it hard to believe he will actually swallow his pride and meet up with Scott. He would have to: withdraw book, tell his students he mislead them, admit he endangered them, give up (at least some) of his instructor status.

IME...doesn't happen.

I will be very happy to be proved wrong.

19. Dave Thatcher

Dave Thatcher New Member

Thank you for the insight and correction, yes the TSKSR has the rotation first, then the wham. I loved watching Otake doing his thing.

BTW, whats with the Ninja stuff? You seem to be very knowledgeable in koryu and intelligent, but Ninjutsu, that's just made up BS right? No offensive intended, but every time I've met and trained with a Ninja I've fell on the floor laughing. Maybe it's different in Oz?

I visited a dojo back in the 80's, there was no one there, spooky or what.:eek:

20. gapjumper

Or you trained with/saw pure frauds?

Not everyone who claims to represent an art has any right to.

Especially in the 80's!!!!!

Maybe you would indulge us with who you trained "ninjutsu" with?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012