'Essential batto & Kenjutsu: Killing Arts Of the Japanese Sword'

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Dead_pool, Oct 21, 2012.

1. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

But it's almost impossible to avoid. A student is always, to some extent, a reflection of his teacher. If a long-time student has horrible technique, people will naturally wonder what is wrong with his teacher that he wasn't properly taught. Likewise, if a long-time student has a poor attitude or poor manners, it is only natural to wonder why the teacher has not taught the student how they are expected to act. I've known people to be banished from a ryu for reflecting poorly on said ryu. Since their school is supposed to preserve traditional ways, I would expect them to be aware of that aspect of traditional ryuha.

2. SASchofield

SASchofield Valued Member

You tried to destroy the respect I have for my sensei,
    You only managed to destroy what little respect I had left for myself.

3. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Cue violin.

Stop being so overly dramatic.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

This looked like it was going to end so happily too!

5. ScottUK

I still hope it will. I have received a lengthy PM on Facebook from Ash McKee (the founder of Junsei-ryu) which confirmed a lot of my thoughts on the matter, and I have two testimonies about Taran's character and attitude towards budo that gives me hope that he will do the right thing.

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

That's a rather ego centric view.

What on earth makes you think any of this has been directly about you?

Take a break while your teacher deals with this, you aren't doing either of you any favours.

Unless of course that is your intent?

7. SASchofield

I've thought long and hard about this decision and haven't taken it lightly.

I won't be studying martial arts for the foreseeable future. I've developed a negative attitude and know that with negative thoughts come negative results.
    JuJutsu is all I know, I have had what I know questioned and it pinched the wrong nerve.

I need to know I have other skills so will take the time out to discover them. Hopefully I'll be happier for it.

Recently I've taken the time to begin study of the japanese language, this I will continue to do, it has been the only thing I've really smiled about in awhile.

I hope to return to martial arts when I view them differently. Whether it be weeks, months or years in the future.

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Been there. It's no biggy, you are young. Go chase some girls and drink a few beers. It will still be waiting if you want to come back.

The Bear.

9. Dean Winchester

I have to admit I find this a little odd in a number of ways.

Considering your previous posts this is something of a turn around, on top of that it has been pointed out by a few people, yourself included, that your teacher is looking to improve his knowledge base and skills, this can only be a good thing.

Questioning things is a part of study and you will come across negativity in your training in one way or another, it's part of what you do when learning. "Is my system right for me?" "Do I understand these points as I should" "Am I good enough" are going to be things you encounter, it's how we deal with our doubts in training that is important not the fact we have doubts.

Also why the need to make a big exit on here? If this is as personal as you are trying to make it sound then I would have thought it is something to discuss with your teacher and friends, not a bunch of people you don't know and have very little regard for.

I think that along with your recent posts I would question your intentions behind the above post.

However if they are sincere then good luck with your future and I hope you find what you want.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  10. ScottUK

That's a shame as this could in an interesting time as your teacher (from PMs with me) is not being stubborn, and is in fact, receptive to change. It could be an exciting and interesting time for all involved, and your teacher will need his genuine students around him to help, facilitate and support.

Or you could just walk away, not a common trait in people who use tough physical training to forge their character.

11. SASchofield

Reading my previous post, I admit it does sound like i'm leaving because of what you have all said.
    This was not my intention, I was letting you know i'm going away to assess my own thoughts and actions. Junsei really is the best place for me but with my current circumstances (which needn't be mentioned here) i've found myself losing my temper or behaving irrationally. [i mean seriously, read my posts, they're the words of a mad man]

I will not learn while in this state, I must come back fresh, with new optimism.

12. ScottUK

Good luck, fella. Go sort your head out and resume when you're ready.

13. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Sometimes it must be done. Good luck and I hope you return soon with newfound enthusiasm.

14. Dean Winchester

Well all the best with it bloke.

15. ScottUK

Quite a cool reaction, considering you thought we all hate you.

16. Dave Thatcher

Dave Thatcher New Member

Hello gents my name is Dave Thatcher, I am a student of Ju-Jitsu and Iai.

Reading over this thread I feel the following.

Anyone can make up a system these days. I have no issue with this as long as it's not passed off as being authentic. If people want to dress up and play samurai let them.

Tarun is like most long term students, loyal to his teachers. And at times this loyalty creates a blindness and naivety towards things.

I knew Brain Wrightson before I begun my study in Iaido, he never in my view was an accomplished swordsman. The forum has exposed that there has been some hoodwinking going on with his claims. If that truth hurts people, tuff, about time.

From meeting Tarun he appears to have an incredible passion for Japanese Bujitsu. With this recent chain of events he now has the opportunity to discard the past, connect with the right people and obtain something of value.

There are many frauds out there, they can easily ignore the koryu keyboarders and stick two fingers up at the community, Tarun has not done this, and that is credible to his character. Now, like anyone who joins a dojo we need to leave him alone and let him pursue his own path. We have no rights over his future study.

the outcome is a win for both sides.

As to the Ju-Jitsu. Well back in the 70' Richard Morris and Bob Clarke really marketed a mis-mash system that went viral. We like to refer to it as British JuJitsu in the very same ways the Brazilians have used BJJ.

There is very little that ties British Ju-Jitsu to any traditional ryu. I started my training at the London JuJitsu Center from the age of eight as a personal student of Richard Morris. It wasn't until I was 25 and in Japan that the awful truth about what we did become crystal clear.

Modern JuJitsu for me has been very effective as a combatives platform, this foundation has supported my career over the years where I have been able to deliver training to the Law Enforcement and Military community. Only the deluded would harp on that its traditional.

As JuJitsu is unregulated it is open to abuse. There are plenty of lowly skilled 10th Soke emerging every month, with only a few years of study under their belt.

I started the "lets drop our grade" as a message to all that the belt means very little these days. I'm aware that the forum has slurred this, but to be straight with you all, I don't care what you think as I only promote myself openly.

The sword abuse came directly from Bob Clarke. There was a scandal over the falsification of menjo and sale from a made up entity called Nippon Dai Budo Kai as the aim was to introduce traditional arts. I believe the crew got together and copied techniques from the Deity and the Sword by Otake. Its very amusing to see the interpretation that emerged from this still being instructed in JJ dojo. Total bollocks sword dancing.

So to end with I hope this will continue to a positive outcome.

Great work!

17. ScottUK

Hiya Dave, welcome to MAP. Behave yourself. :D
    Seconded. After my meeting with Mr McCarnun tomorrow, I will post a statement on here for interested parties, and if he chooses to change paths, I will probably petition the mods to delete this thread, or at least have all references to his name taken out.

No point in having your past float around to cause problems when you've made efforts to correct it.

18. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Ahhhhh ... that feels almost like a breath of fresh air.

The Bear.

19. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

That's not going to happen Scott.

The Bear.

20. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

But our pasts are what define us. We've all made mistakes. I know I've made more than my share. :) It's how you go forward from those mistakes that define a person. Denying the mistakes that you've made is non-productive. Embracing our mistakes and learning from them is what causes us to grow.

I've been in his shoes Scott, it won't hurt him as long as he's sincere.