Eskrima interactive lessons?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Saved_in_Blood, May 12, 2013.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

so on the last section I asked if those two moves (the downstroke on the X and the other move) could be done together... would that be ok to do and does the stick on the back swing go around the head as I did it or is it done another way?

2. Saved_in_Blood

sort of confusing because with boxing (or in my case just doing a lot of punch drills) you obviously turn with the punches... such as my Hapkdio where the hips and such are what gives much of the leverage with a lot of moves.

So you are saying the snap of the stick (basically just using a joint that is conditioned well) is what should be used for power?

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Boxing is a good mix for FMA. In fact it is the most common traditional mixer for arnis on the Islands. But, body english is used much later on when you have your static movement drills down pat. In fact, even during basic partner drills it is discouraged. When the topic gets to knife work and empty hands, body english plays a bigger role.

Yes. Wrist conditioning and flexibility is key to good swinging.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Good on you for posting this.

Think about widening your stance. Once you get the footwork going, you'll have less of a stance and more movement. But conveying the nuances of footwork would be tricky. For now, I'd just say this:

You're swinging a weapon. So you've got more weight and length than you're used to from empty hand. The momentum of that is going to carry you off balance if you keep your feet too narrow. If you can feel yourself rocking from one edge of your foot to the other as you swing, you're off balance. Open your feet up a bit.

Once you're comfortable with that, think about stepping into each strike a bit. Not a big step. Just think about getting the momentum of your body going in the direction of the strike. If your feet come along for the ride, you're never off balance. If not, you tend to lean, wobble, or stifle your own force.

5. shootodog

In FMA, the Sayaw makes use of the moves you know, in no particular order. Just make it work. Make it flow. Go with the flow.

6. shootodog

Re footwork, look for the thread on empty hands. I posted vids of my friend Guro Gani Abon doing empty hands. The second vid shows basic footwork in relation to striking and angling.

Or you can refer to this

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ONsdf3vYJM]triagles pekiti[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  7. Saved_in_Blood

well my balance honestly has never been that great lol. Either way, I will work on widening my stance though... makes sense of course to do.

8. shootodog

Re stance. The usual is put your feet together. take a step and a half forward. Center (or as my old teacher would say, "as if your nuts are as huge as coconuts")

9. Saved_in_Blood

Pete sent me his #8 modern knives DVD today, I decided on that one because he said:

"Based on everything you’ve told me I would suggest you start with Modern Knives #8. Like every issue of MK it features Jim Keating, myself, and a special guest (Ed Lawson on this issue)...and we cover a TON of Filipino arts on that one. Jim deals with solo drills for locking / disarming, Ed covers Pikiti Tersia basics (single and double stick, knife), and I cover the Figure 8 method of stick fighting. The Figure 8 method is something you can learn in a couple of afternoons and have a solid skill for self defense – no flash just effectiveness."

Any extra instruction is good as far as i'm concerned no?

10. shootodog

SiB, please do not attempt knifework. Watch it for entertainment only.

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I have to agree.

Some of your movements in the stick video are pretty good since you are a beginner and distance learning.

The flow of the stick though is different when it gets hit/blocked by an opponent's stick and unless you can get a training partner this part of your training will always be lacking.

The worst that can happen is you find a partner and take some hits because you don't have the tactile training.

The knife though is very different. it cannot be taught by a DVD and shame on any instructor who tells you otherwise.

I have a set of DVD's by GM Danny Guba. Single stick, double stick, bankaw and knife.
    These videos though are an aide memoir for those who have been through the training.

12. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I agree with both of these. I use videos of my instructor and I working on drills in order to trigger my memory of me actually being there. Likewise, a video can be useful if it is from another instructor in your system, but only if you know a bit about what you are doing first - I have the Ron Balicki Filipino Boxing set, they're broadly the same techniques and drills, but there are still some differences, so it's a point of reference as well as source of motivation to actually go and train with my partners, but by no means the primary source of my instruction (much as Ron is great, it's just not the same as 'feeling' it :)).

SiB, I can see that you are very keen, and it's great that you have started with a little stick swinging to get used to the mechanics.
    But swishing your stick through the air with no feedback other than us commenting on your video (although nice one for posting) is a far cry from proper instruction, IN PERSON, from someone who knows what they are doing already. Sorry to repeat what others have said, but it was said because it is true!

Even using our feedback to your video is difficult to do as we can't see you from all angles, and you can't necessarily see (or 'feel') what we might mean, and we might all give conflicting advice.

Anyway, Shootodog seems to have most of it covered.

When I first teach beginners the first angles and strike types (done in the air, like in your video), I get them to use a training sword (single hand, same length as the stick), and to chamber before their hit (this is not necessary for true bladed application, but for this purpose, it is) to understand 'hitting with the edge' in downward X, plansa, upward X and redondo ("redondo"="redonda", although in Simon's video, he hits with the flat of the blade - don't worry, both are correct ;)), and 'hitting with the flat' in abaniko. These help maintain the alignment between your hand and forearm without the tendency for hyper extension at the wrist, and therefore (should) reduce the risk of injury.

Starting with the sword allows an emphasis on drawing through the target (cutting with the edge) using correct 'full' body mechanics (twisting happening at the feet not the knees, and staying in balance). You should be able to do this with static feet (you are allowed to turn them, but not step), smoothly, and without wobbling off balance before attempting it while moving the feet around, otherwise a fundamental weakness (like balance) can be hidden and ignored until you need it one day and it's not there.

So, once the sword work (still in the air) is reasonably smooth, switch to the stick, ideally the heaviest available that your grip can endure (so you are cued to keep hitting/drawing 'through' the target), and start hitting things.

The difficulties of starting with the stick only hitting the air include:
    • Using a light stick, so you can 'cheat' on your body mechanics by primarily using the wrist without proper understanding of swinging a heavier weapon. This can lead to both wrist injuries and sub-optimal power generation. Don't get me wrong though, hitting with the wrist only has it's time and place (power/fluidity balance), but only once you understand and can demonstrate the 'full' mechanic (feet, hips, shoulders all turn, arm extends, elbow and wrist add a little snap), and each breakdown (feet and hips don't turn, shoulders don't turn, arm only, forearm only, wrist only. In that order.)
    • Not actually contacting with a passive target (tyre dummy, thick rope, other stick held still, at one end, by willing and trusting partner) to get the feedback of hitting power and rebound.
    • Not actually contacting with an active target - like Simon said: hitting at someone, them actively blocking your strike (kind of like they are hitting your stick), you recovering your flow before they've hit you back.

So yeah, find a training partner, hit each other with the sticks a bit, see how it goes, find an instructor, especially for knife. Good luck :)

PS: re-reading it seems like I'm telling you off; I'm not, only cautioning a little and trying to give you ideas of what to think about ;)

13. shootodog

SiB do you have a punching bag or a spare tyre that you can hang from a tree? You can work the strike angles on it. It's a start.

Bro, I am wishing that things turn out well. I hope this experiment gets you on the road to FMA.

14. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I use sinawali and numerada, and as the people progress move on to sumbrada and sinawali chain principles.

15. Saved_in_Blood

Yes, I do have one. I will have to find a place to hang it up though.

16. Saved_in_Blood

Pete did not at any time encourage me to use real knives, only fake plastic ones

17. shootodog

SiB, please do not do it even with fake knives. There is a reason why knife is not readily taught to beginners.

18. Saved_in_Blood

No, it's no big deal, I understand. The stick i'm using is a 26" oak stick 1" in diameter, so it's pretty heavy and gives my wrists a good workout. I consistently use 195lb grippers to help with strength and such.. I feel like it will be helpful with this though.

Right now i'm just trying to go slowly and get some of the moves down from some of the videos that have been posted and then start to apply them to a punching bag, tire, whatever I can.

19. Saved_in_Blood

BTW, I still want to learn that Floreti :)

20. shootodog

Lastiko, witik, redonda, and florete.