Eskrima interactive lessons?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Saved_in_Blood, May 12, 2013.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I don't think you can.

I've always said online or distance courses don't work and I'm certainly not about to provide a video course here on MAP.

Videos for discussion are one thing, videos to help out or aid explanation are okay, but you need an instructor.

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Exactly!

How on earth? Especially FMA!

3. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

fair enough, let me get all of my stuff straight and then I can get my wife to help me out. My shoulder takes a little while to warm up as well. I have to run some errands, but will try to post it by tonight.

By the way, that wasn't meant as some demand... I re-read it and it didn't like how it looked, so sorry about that.

4. Saved_in_Blood

If there were classes close to me... I would take them. I stopped taking my combat hapkido for instance because we had a baby 2 months ago and while my Wife is back working, we are also lower on money than we were before because of the baby, but she really has a good work ethic and based on her mother and father always working when she was young... she just learned it that way. They are Korean and I don't know if all Koreans are like that, but all 3 of them sure are. I think she tends to do to much and have to ask her to just slow down or stop and go relax for herself for a while, and for me it's hard to find certain things with a bad back and shoulder.... but I've been looking quite a bit.

Anyway, the whole point was to say that I don't want things that I do that are for "fun" to take away from our ability to pay the bills.

Sorry, I just got up and can't think real clearly in the morning at times.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  5. Saved_in_Blood

sorry guys... I will get a video up. It's just been a rough night for me.

6. shootodog

Hey man, it's all good. Just understand what it is you are doing. You have your eyes wide open and you know in your heart and in your mind that this is just a fun experiment and not meant to replace learningnder a teacher. I had to stop martial arts several times, too. I know where you're coming from.

7. Saved_in_Blood

Yeah, it's disappointing

8. Saved_in_Blood

9. shootodog

It's interesting. Very basic. But notice in the videos he needs a training partner that he feeds and he does the "flow time" or the tinikling beats. I guess that is the obstacle you will have to face.

I mean the basic strikes and it's mirror are the blocks (or you could use the "bahay kubo" model for blocking). That much is easy. It is correcting form and grip and movement and timing that will have to be addressed.

10. Saved_in_Blood

Sure... I don't expect to become an expert from watching DVD's or anything.

11. Saved_in_Blood

Been doing a lot of speaking to Pete Kautz about what I am looking for and he's been helping me to figure it out. At his suggestion, i'm going to order the Modern Knives #8. He said it really covers a lot of stuff, especially with self defense.

12. shootodog

SiB,

How to use strikes as blocks. For example the opponent does a 1 strike (diagonal slash from temple to kidney), you can use exactly the same strike to counter it. That is mirroring.

"Bahay Kubo" or "Hut" makes use of dedicated blocks. Two types of roof blocks (in fencing known as parry "5 and 6" but is not horizontal to the ground but slightly angled downward to deflect the strike). The walls and the legs are just that. Except that you use your forearm to reinforce your stick.

Use this saber fencing diagram to understand

[​IMG]

13. Saved_in_Blood

Ahhh, very good info man, thank you. I will study it over.

And don't worry guys.. I am still going to put the video up to let you all critique it. My son seems to have very bad reflux and he is having quite a difficult time. I know he's really uncomfortable (as I have it myself). He's going to the hospital tomorrow to get a whole G.I. scan done.

14. shootodog

FMA's footwork (and some other aspects) revolve around triangles. The basics are the triangle and the inverted triangle.

It works something like Thibaust except in triangles only (or Xs).

15. Saved_in_Blood

yeah, I remember you all talking about that earlier. I will have to try to understand that after moving through a few drills I guess.

16. shootodog

On blocking. You are not suppose to take the fill brunt of the strike on the block. The block is not static. You have to move with you block and deflect the strike after contact with your stick/ sword. You use your live hand to tap the attacking hand to give you an open path to a strike. This is typical of blocking. Here are other variations on the use of the live hand but this is typical after a block deflection.

17. Saved_in_Blood

In combat Hapkido, you are taught to use the hands open ... like a shield as the Grandmaster calls it... can this be incorporated with single stick use with the live hand as well?

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Be careful when you employ the live hand.

At long range you don't have the live hand in range.

Take a look at this Paul Vunak video. It's on the subject of the knife, but from 2.25 you can see why the live hand isn't employed at long range.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk-EVLyIpts"]Paul Vunak Knife Philosophy - YouTube[/ame]

19. Saved_in_Blood

As promised Gentlemen... hopefully most of it is correct.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX3jc6gn9y0"]To be reviewed by martialartsplanet - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2013
  20. shootodog

Nice! Good first attempt!

Basics:

1) Usually (in static drills), weapon hand's leg leads. Until you change via triangular footwork (but let's stick to weapon hand lead leg for now).

2) Elbows should be tighter to the body. Even when you chamber the stick.

3) Treat the stick like it has an edge. That way you swing properly.

4) Your witik and redonda are pretty cool. Just remember that the body should not torque with the swing. The flick comes from the wrist but the power comes from the torque generated by the flick.

5) Body english: to start, try not moving your body. Let the weapon swing. If you notice other GOOD videos, the body doesn't move so much when the stick is swung.

6) Try a n upward X also.