Eskrima interactive lessons?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Saved_in_Blood, May 12, 2013.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I was surprised how cheap baston are in the UK, certainly when compared to bokuto and my other training equipment for the Japanese arts. I can't imagine the pricing being that different over there.

Don't worry about having to "earn the right", they are training kit that's all.

It's not like jumping into using a live blade or something.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I agree and the stick used in the video is one I've had for probably 15 years.
    I use an extremely light stick for twirling practice and at this stage I suggest you do the same, especially if you're feeling it in the wrists.

It's about control, fluidity, correct angles and repetition, not power, so leave the heavy sticks for another day/drill.

I use Apex Supplies and they sell "ugly sticks" for just £2.00, so starting FMA can be really cheap.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Awesome. Cheers for the link, I'll have a good look later.

I've been using Eskrimador Supplies for my sticks and the service has been top notch.

4. Simon

That's run by Pat O'Malley's wife, Lucy.
    I've always had good service from them and prompt delivery.

5. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I am actually using some other dowels made of poplar... not to soft, but a bit stronger than pine. I didn't mean it actually hurt my wrists, but yes, I can feel it. I wrapped the whole stick in the Gorilla tape.

My reasoning for getting the oak is that I wanted to do some wood burning on it as I went a long with training with it. My oak ones I actually put some tung oil on last night. I love a natural looking finish, so i'm interested to see how it comes out. I have a few more hours i'm supposed to wait before I buff the oil off.

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Re: tape.

Do you use the tape for grip or to save your baston?

7. Saved_in_Blood

Well I practice in the house, so I do use it for grip, but I can hold onto it without issue... with my little one and Wife in the room i'm not gonna take the risk. The tape also keeps it from breaking and flying off :)

8. Saved_in_Blood

Man I'm having a hard time with that ebineto (sp? My wrists are flexible, but the turning of the hips for some reason is not easy to focus on. During this move could one pivot on the ball of the feet such if I were throwing a straight right, left hook combo? I only could see you moving at the waist, couldn't see the feet as much. I practiced tonight for 20-30 minutes, but we're at my mothers and all I had was the smaller end of a pool stick, still was about 20" or more though. I got my first blister, does that mean I'm moving up? Lol

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  9. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Yes, I certainly pivot on the ball of the feet for the 'full' body mechanic in almost all strikes, especially with "abaniko" (the way our system has it spelt) which accentuates wrist and shoulder turning and, consequently, hip leg and foot turning. Without the foot turning, I find it applies a lot of undesirable torque to my knees.

Also, don't worry too much about the spelling, as long as you and your partner/instructor can communicate, it doesn't really matter what it's called :)

10. Saved_in_Blood

Hey thanks man, yeah I found myself trying to hard to turn at the waist and got that same strain on the knees

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Abaniko. It means "fan." EDIT: Harry beat me to it. But yeah, blisters mean you're advancing. Soon they'll become callouses, then you'll be legit. :)

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Here is a solo drill to try out - it's demonstrated by an old instructor of mine and Simons, Guro Lee Banda

See how the slow progression moves into a great flow

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1TzayTXa0Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1TzayTXa0Q[/ame]

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Also note how he's able to do it while standing on a vertical wall!

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Spider-Banda!

Thankfully I can say I did NOT film that!

15. Saved_in_Blood

ok guys... back from a ban, though i'm still not completely sure which of my posts it was... I guess I get offensive from time to time lol. Anyway, I've been working on this for 20-30 minutes at night, sometimes a few times a day as well. I can only do so much because of my bad shoulder. One thing I noticed is that doing it all with my right hand which is my strong hand that it sort of helped my brain doing it enough because I was trying it left handed and it was actually going pretty well. Would it be a good idea to do the single stick with the weaker hand to be able to use the strong hand for straight, more powerful strikes or just practice each hand equally?

16. Saved_in_Blood

By the way Simon.... time to post another vid :) I got the last one lol

17. Saved_in_Blood

I like this one too... it will be hard to learn while laying on my side though :D

18. Saved_in_Blood

I like that drill, but that last move i'm having a hard time getting... the downstrike, rotate and low strike and then the backhand strike, and from there i'm not seeing quite what he's doing.

19. Simon

This is a two way street.

I'm happy to help where I can, but I'm not posting video after video for free.
    Many would charge for this.

You post a video of what you can do and we'll help from there.

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

I dunno how you guys are gonna do his without seeing the flow up close or feeling the whack or being in a timing drill together.