Eskrima interactive lessons?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Saved_in_Blood, May 12, 2013.

1. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

This :D

2. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

But she's Korean!!

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

I never tried to get my wife into FMA. I mean, she already can outgrapple me and outshoot me with pistols. As if my life wasn't already endangered enough.

Pat is a brave brave man.

4. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Does that make a difference?

5. Saved_in_Blood

No... I just thought it was funny :(

6. Saved_in_Blood

is the twirling of the stick and such actually effective in moving from one position to the next, or is it mainly just for show and a way to lose your weapon easier?

7. Pat OMalley

No if used correctly it has many uses. Feinting. Changing target area in mid flow. Making a clearing for a power shot etc. if you twirl it like a majorette which I see quite often it's just making pretty patterns but if you understand it properly there is a lot more going on than you first realise.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's easy to think of twirling as being one thing. It's not. I can think of at least three completely distinct tactics in FMA that might all be perceived as "twirling."

1) Hits. Many of the "twirls" are actually legitimate strikes. 'Nuff said really.
    2) Regaining position. In actual use, your weapon is going to be all over the shop, either because of your striking or your opponent's defensive actions. Twirling the stick is generally a better way to regain guard or change trajectory than stopping and reversing your motion is. The heavier the weapon, the more true that is.
    3) Again, the hand is a primary target. And a moving target is harder to hit. Twirling makes your hand a much more difficult target of opportunity.

9. Saved_in_Blood

ok great info, just wondering.

10. Saved_in_Blood

Ok, so I got the modern knives video yesterday. Overall it has a lot of good info on "snaking" and going into locks and such. Much of that I have already learned in Combat Hapkido, but always good to see it from a different perspective. Pete goes through the 8 count figure 8 with a single stick (in this case he uses what looks to be a cane length weapon. The figure 8's are from higher and then of course it just mirrors itself on the downside. Another section shows double stick drills and "X blocking", they do a bit with knives, but it's more the series that is called that rather than much of it being about knives. Most of it deals with very basic knife strikes that we actually have worked on defending against in CH as well. Either way, there are a lot of little things to learn that I think will keep me busy.

One question I do have is why do many use the knife in the standard forehand position rather than the bankhand (only way I can think of to describe it)? It seems easier to hide and maybe harder to have the weapon taken from you. Just curious.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You mean orthodox grip as opposed to an icepick grip I assume? It's a matter of personal preference but I find orthodox far more versatile. No on eis takking a knife off you without getting sliced up anyway, so grip is such a tiny factor that it is moot to really consider it. Icepick grip also reduces the range of your cut/strikes

12. Saved_in_Blood

yes, that's a much better example of grip. It just seemed like using the icepick type grip that one could use the fist first easier in case he had decided not to use a blade during a conflict.... but what do I know, i'm new to all of this stuff. With as much as I feel I can learn from this vid and others as well... of course it would be better if I could find some school, or a little old Filipino man who turned out to be an expert at this stuff lol.

13. Hannibal

The blade is LESS likely to become engaged with a punch in orthodox grip because the "follow through" kinetic does not take it to the blade. With an icepick the blade is "trailing" behind the punch and can conceivably be used.

If you have a knife out and decide to strike them you should be kicking, headbutting or using the other hand! :)

14. Saved_in_Blood

Yes, I suppose so. As bad as my back is getting, i'll have to start using a cane and then I can just walk around with it lol.

15. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Reverse grip cane is badass! We did a load of reverse grip largo stick (about leg length) a while ago which directly translates to 'old man with walking stick' :D

With regard to knife grips, you should (;)) be able to use either grip, in either hand, so you can use it no matter how you draw it/pick it up. I'm with Hannibal in that my preferred grip is orthodox for range and versatility purposes - as a general rule, once it's 'on' I want to keep the steel between me and my opponent, and why would I want to move my hand past the target in order to cut it if I had the option of being a little further away?

Also, orthodox and ice pick grip knife drills have slightly different emphases when they cross over to empty hand...

16. Hannibal

Q: What's the best type of knife?
    A: a sharp one

Q:What's the best way to hold a knife?
    A:In your hand

17. Pat OMalley

Q: What's the best way to use it?
    A: Keep the point toward your opponent.

18. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Good discussion on knifework but please seek actual instruction for how to work with a knife.

19. Saved_in_Blood

lol relax man, i'm not doing any knife work... I was only curious about the grips people use and why.

20. Saved_in_Blood

Ok, not that anyone was wetting themselves waiting for my update, but here it is anyway. I'm sticking (no pun intended) to the basic strikes that both the videos posted here and the basic figure 8 that the modern knives video goes over. For me, the more simplistic, the better. I am not going to try to be some great stick fighter and then turn out that much of it was not done correctly. At least sticking with the very basic strikes, it helps me in an SD situation which is highly unlikely... but since I can't carry my gun in my car, I can carry a stick lol.

I'm using a 26" long oak dowel that I have sanded down and tried polyurethane on one and tung oil on another, sort of looking for something that isn't slick. The oak is heavy enough that I can feel it in my wrists, but not like a bone issue, just like a good workout soreness. Without the bag being setup yet I am simply working on Simon's drills, the figure 8's from the video and slowly working on I guess shadow sticking practicing on hitting through the target and making sure my hand position is correct when hitting the waist/rib area. On that note I have a question... can you sort of duck down and do the swinging through on the would be knee area as well, or is that asking for problems because of possible balance issues?