eskrima (in a real fight)

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by parrot1, Nov 2, 2005.

1. parrot1

parrot1 New Member

has anyone had a real fight using esrima on the street.does it work.never had a street fight.thats why i ask

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Parrot1,

The moderators asked you last time not to name all your threads the same generic title. Now I'm asking you again. Please title your threads something specific instead of writing three or four threads all titled "eskrima." It's common courtesy.

As for your question, I have never used it in a proper fight. But I have diffused what would have been a pretty awful situation. And I think many of the skills I learned in eskrima helped. For instance, the guys tried to surround us, and I was able to keep relatively comfortable with everyone's position because of what we referred to as "gauntlet drills" in my school. I also was able to keep my wits about me when the guy began to take a swing at me. Thanks to having my arms pinned at my side by my then girlfriend, I really only had one hand available. But the moment he went to swing, I raised it into position. He stopped, reconsidered, and walked away. His gang followed.

And I skeedaddled home.

3. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Parrot1,

Further threads with a Generic title will be locked.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Further generic titles may result in a sin binning as well. Please try to take on board what the regular FMAers are telling you.

5. Playful Giant

Playful Giant Banned Banned

Have you not seen Enter The Dragon...

Seriously, you've got to think that the likelihood of having your escrima poles to hand at the time of a streetfight is unlikely. You might be able to grab a chair and use the legs off it, but that would be it.

The empty hand escrima can be effective at defence level (depending on what version you do)

6. Stxsas

Stxsas Keep on Flowing..

True not alot of people carry sticks with them in the street, probably only when they are off to training. Some people do carry other things like knives of course, which is their own personal choice. However filipino weapons are not limited to this.
    At the last seminar Sifu Cass Magda told me several things the American Filipino's used to carry. One example was that Inosanto used to carry small sand pepper balls. They where small balls of cool sand that had been fried with oil and hot peppers and things like that, then rolled into a ball and then carried in the pocket. When needed they would throw these balls of sand at the face of the opponent.

Sticks or anything else can be considered weapons.. But still a good stick is always handy. :D

7. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

This ideology misses one of the essential aspects of many Filipino systems. In learning stick, sword, and knife (amoung other weapons), you're not just learning a weapon, but rather a weapon concept. For example, most punyo (butt of stick) and stabbing knife techniques can be executed with a pen or a pencil. Improvised weaponry is one of the things that many FMA practitioners pride themselves on.

As far as "real fights", this is a bit beyond the scope of the supposed street fight, but here's what members of Filipino Marine Force Recon units have to say about the FMA:
    http://www.rochesterkali.com/military2.htm

- Matt

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I like to think in terms of "classes" of weapon. Blunt rigid, sharp one-handed, sharp two-handed, flexible, etc.

In the altercation I described, there were four people and one baseball bat floating around. Blunt, two-handed. So while it never came to it, I felt that I understood the capabilities of that baseball bat to do me harm because I had a great deal of training with impact weapons. That's not to say it would've been an easy thing. Obviously, outnumbered and outgunned, I probably would've left on a stretcher. But it left me with a slightly better base from which to work than I'd have had with less weapons experience. My odds weren't good. But they were better.

Stuart

9. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Yes and yes. Eskrima can be applied with or without weapons, bot work nicely in the real deal.

Best regards

Pat

10. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

I know that the first thing we work on in Kali is footwork. Maybe Kali isn't identical to Eskrima, but footwork seems to be pretty universal in FMA. Actually, if there is anything universal about FMA, I think it was expressed well by my instructor. During my first class I asked my instructor something to the effect of 'what is the big secret in FMA'? His answer?

"Don't get hit"

That seems to be pretty applicable in a fight.

11. Pat OMalley

The reason many on this forum call it FMA is because Kali / Arnis / Eskrima / Escirma or what ever! is as the late great GM Presas used to say "It's all the same" it is not identical it is the same. After all with over 111 differnt dialects and thousands of personal and family styles we could well come up with 111 differnt names and thousands of family variations for the same thing. Hence the term FMA. saves arguing don't you think;) I feel a "Daninno Tribe from Santo" moment comming on here:D

Best regards

Pat

12. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

Oh, no...not again! I think you're right :eek:

Please make it stop...we'll be good! :cry: ;)

13. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

well, fma covers a lot of different aspects and embraces all scenarios that might happen. it is more of a reality-based training thus it can be used anywhere - in the streets, in the bar, with or without any weapons. that is one of the greatest pride of fma.

14. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Good golly Pat! I try to be all nice and considerate about terminology and you get all riled up about it! I understand that FMA is basically the same thing no mater which style.

The thing that I meant to stress was the eternal advice of my guru:

"Don't get hit!"

It sounds idiotically obvious, but it really is something that is important to remember. FMAers who are used to gear or people w/a Thaiboxing mentality are more apt to be willing to take a hit to give a hit. However, trading blows isn't advisable if your opponent has a knife or a pipe or a bottle. The footwork, the universality, the timing... that is what will save your cojones if you get into a right, whether you study double stick eskrima or dumog mixed w/knife work.

I'm sure you agree, right Pat? ;) :D

Edit- What is a "Daninno Tribe from Santo" moment anyway?

15. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Its a MAP FMA forum inside joke ;) . Someone will be along with a link shortly.

16. parrot1

parrot1 New Member

what are talking about i only asked a question about eskrima.you can ban me if you want.i wont be posting again.its to much hassle on this forum.what is generic.does everyone who comes on this forum have this hassle about just asking questions.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nope. Only the ones who refuse to do things for their fellow posters when they're politely asked. You expect people to take time from their busy schedules to answer your questions. But you can't even be bothered to type out a title that makes things simpler for us. So what do you expect?

18. Pat OMalley

What???? what makes you think I got riled up??? Were you reading something that was supposed to be between the lines? Calm down young man, I speak sometimes with tounge in cheek as Pokahontus use to say:eek:

I think I do but you make it sound so complicated:rolleyes:

Ah ha! now there are those who know and those who are. I am sure you will find out soon enough, just walk the path young man, all roads lead to enlightenment:eek:

Best regards

Pat

19. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

ooooo... pass the popcorn please...

20. Peacemaker

Peacemaker New Member

I don't know what's going on, but I can smell a blockbuster. So, who wants popcorn? $0.50 each.