Escrima sticks that are indestructible.

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by MaxG, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

US$40.00? for something that looks like an old man's walking can?

what's the matter with plain jane rattan? it'll set you back all of US$5.00 a pair maybe (depends on who you buy from and the quality).

besides, if it were truly indestructable, it should come with a lifetime warranty. the limited warranty tells me that they're probably not so indestructable.

3. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

Actually they're 29.95 but yeah they are a little expensive but if they last for years then it would be a good investment. That's why I'm asking if anyone has experience with them. Where do you go to buy $5 a pair rattan sticks?

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

What's a jogging stick?

5. Adam Willington

Adam Willington Valued Member

I assume it's like a walking cane but you move a bit faster... :p

6. Peter

Peter Valued Member

7. shax

shax Valued Member

shouldnt that be 'a modern solution for ancient problems'?

8. shootodog

i live in the philippines. US$29.95 can get me a pair of rattan bastons plus a pair of bahi bastons plus a bahi training knife plus a pair of padded sticks plus a padded knife plus a balisong...and 2 beers ;)

how often and how hard do you practice? a good pair of rattan bastons will last about two years of daily beatings. tape them up with duct tape and they'll probably last another year or so.

where do you live? maybe i can help you find a good supplier.

9. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

Ah. On average in the US it's around $15-20 a pair. At least that's what most websites sell for. You can get cheaper ones for around $10 but they fall apart in a couple of months. We usually go through a pair every 6 months or so. Not full force but we like to bang sticks. So I figure if these sticks last a few years then they'll be a good investment. Otherwise I'll just stick with the regular rattan and taping them up.

10. Arvino_Logarta

Arvino_Logarta Valued Member

A good bahi stick will last you a long long while :)

11. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

I agree with Shooto about good ol' rattan bastones. If it's been good enough for our lolos, then...!

I've never had to order rattan from MA sites. I'm lucky to get them locally at a rattan/bamboo furniture maker that sells me poles according to my choice of dimensions (7/8", 1" diam., 26", 28", 30" lengths, etc.). They even cut them and sand down the ends. Just treat them on your own afterwards (i.e. fire-hardening) & tape accordingly (I like using ice-hockey tape, personally).

If you can, I suggest that you do the same. Or, if you have to outsource, then try finding a rattan supplier or something similar in a large city closest to you. It might be (no guarantee) cheaper than purchasing ready-made bastones from MA sites.

Even though eskrima teaches you to use almost anything as a weapon or training tool, still, nothing beats the feel & scent of clashing rattan bastones (as opposed to those comprised of non-organic, synthetic materials)!

That's just been my experience. Good luck! :)

P.S. Sorry...back to your original question...no experience with those synthetic bastones...no desire to, anyway...sorry again :eek:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  12. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

endangered

HI,
    Is bahi an endangered species of wood?
    I hear kamagong isnt so plentiful anymore, and that its illegal to ship it out of the rp.
    Just asking.
    Gord :confused:

13. shootodog

bahi isn't endangered. narra and kamagong are. unless you can certify that they are farmed...shame on you to cut down virgin forrest for it.

14. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

It looks pretty much like something that if you pressed a button an umbrella would pop out, good for a challenge match if your in a monsoon:)

Cant beat the traditional old rattan, you cant mimick the feel, weight and sound, but I suppose you can jog to a taxi with it and keep dry:D

Made by Eskrimadors for Eskrimadors that stand out in the rain me thinks, hence the need for jogging.;)

Never expearianced it and probably never will.

Best regards

Pat

15. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Indestructible...

"it is made from a space age, composite material that is backed by a limited warranty against breakage." :eek:

EDIT - Realised someone already mentioned this!

16. plusone

plusone Valued Member

i've actually used one of those got stick things before.. the handle felt like a golf club rap, and it was flimsy(although i did use the thin one). It wouldnt be good for training either, i dont think, since it felt like a whip when i got hit with it.. rattan is muuuuch better

17. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

I like the sound of the Got Stick thingy but the half incha diameter and super low weight really puts me off.

Shootodog I'd love you to introduce me to a pair of sticks that would last a couple of years. The last sticks I bought Cast me about US$30 (£16 or so) and lasted 35 minutes. I dont mean tape up in 35 minutes I mean totally destroyed (well one of em was anyway).

The longest any pair of sticks has lasted me is about 4 weeks before tape up and 9 weeks till replacement.

18. oosh

oosh Valued Member

wow pretty quick man !

19. shootodog

4 weeks? what do you do with them? destroy buildings? good rattan is "flexible" enough to be really durable.

why not ask lucy o'malley or visit eskrimador supplies for the good stuff.

20. oosh

oosh Valued Member

Yeh I got my first two pairs from ES, I managed to break one...that was because I thought it would be a good idea to practice on a metal girder..DURR springs to mind :D Since then I've stopped hitting metal things with them and they're fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.