Escrima Kills?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by nicolo, Jul 21, 2003.

1. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Has anyone read or heard of the fatal club stabbing in NY several months ago? Kids were celebrating at a night club and this Chinese kid lit up a cig. Because of the anti-smoking laws, the club bouncer came over to tell him to put it out. Words were exchanged and the bouncer tried to drag him out by the neck. People jumped in and when it was over, the bouncer laid on the ground bleeding from a fatal stab wound to his femoral artery. The kids involved were asian but the lone killer was caught and charged with manslaughter. The guy was filipino and claims to have studied Kali/Escrima at a studio in NY. When he heard about the bouncer's death, he tried to commit suicide but was caught. They assume he may have ditched the knife used in the attack.

Granted this didn't make a big stink over national news, it still put Escrima and Asians in the spotlight - that asians are volatile martial art killers and this escrima or kali is a deadly art that should be banned.

See articles, editorials:

http://www.newsflash.org/2003/04/hl/hl017828.htm
    http://www.realfighting.com/0503/editorial.html

Your thoughts and comments please...I'll give mine later:)

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

*Sigh

When are they gonna realise that STYLES don't kill people. People kill people.

What if he'd waited outside for the bouncer & ran him over in his car? Ban driving schools?

3. Cain

Cain New Member

Heeeheehee!!! Good point!!! :D

Just because the guy stabbed the bouncer and happens to be practicing kali/escrima does'nt mean it's a violent art!

|Cain|

4. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

This was discussed in another community when it was all over the press. I think it's a blow to FMA; most non-MA people have a very myopic idea of MA in general and it's incidents like this that get all the attention. Before you know it, all FMA people will be painted as potential killers. :(

This will only fuel the drive to ban knife carrying in public. And of course the public will be entertained with stories of how FMA is a style for killers and assasins (this was exactly how one paper described FMA).

Yes FMA is deadly and serious about how blades are used. But that doesn't mean the styles are breeding cold blooded killers.

5. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Right this is the act of a lone individual...this was a punk who for whatever reason wanted to pose and strut for other punks. I have mixed feelings about this to tell you the truth. It happened because of circumstance. It was just waiting to happen...

I have no idea who the bouncer was or how he was like but they said he was a "gentle" giant. Maybe to his folks...In some ways I kind of scoff at that. No "gentle" person works as a bouncer...for the most part guys who have a mean streak and an attitude work as bouncers. Their purpose is in the guise of "security" but it's really to beat you senseless when you don't listen. I've been to clubs and over 95% of them are jerks. You take that with the combination of some asian punks...two of the involved were offspring of the now-jailed former head of the notorious Chinatown Ghost Shadows gang. It's a disaster waiting to happen...two sides with huge ego's and a fiery temper to match. Nobody knows what transpired but the fact that the bouncer started to drag the Chinese guy out by the neck infuriated the knife-happy pinoy.
    This is where my feelings are divided. Being the fact that I'm a smaller asian guy, I can more or less imagine the anger that may have went through the Chinese guy or the filipino's head. I've gotten push around a lot and faced racial slurs. For the most part, smaller guys HATE big bullies. You know how they say the smaller guy is more dangerous because he fights for pride and dignity as well. This couldn't have been a more perfect example of that. It's 50 times more humiliating to be dragged out by your neck because you're a little chinese guy. I mention chinese because it is a HUGE thing for asians - PRIDE. And when your dad's a former godfather of Chinatown, you DON'T EVER back down. Perhaps racial words were exchanged...nobody knows for sure but I can say with almost certainty that in their minds, the bouncer looked down on the "little weak" asian guy, and the asian guy looked down on the "big black and dumb" bouncer. No one backed down that night.

If there's one thing good, I applaud the fact that the asian guy, even though he was a psychotic punk, stood up to the big bully. Perhaps this will create second thoughts in other people's minds before they start picking on the "weak" asian from now on.

It was a costly lesson and someone had to be sacrificed. The good name of FMA was smeared for a moment. In the end we all get justice one way or another.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2003
  6. Clumsy Ninja

Clumsy Ninja New Member

You applaud the Asian guy?

This being the Asian guy who went into a business establishment, violated the law, refused to comply with the law to the point that he had to be physically removed from the business and instigated the event that resulted in another person's death?

Thats the guy you applaud?

Why does everyone have to reduce everything to race these days. The "big bully" picked on the "weak" Asian. I suppose there were probably 10 whites in the night club smoking, but the bouncer singled out just the Asian guy right?

No, what happened was some punk (who cares what race) decided that he had the right to do what ever the F he wanted to do, despite the state / local laws or rules established by the business. As a result a man died over a stupid cigarette.

7. AikiSamurai

AikiSamurai New Member

I don't understand why you would applaud that guy either. I'm asian and I thnk what he did was wrong.

8. Peaceful_John

Peaceful_John New Member

I agree. This wasn't an "asian" thing. It was just a crime. I don't think this is going to give asians a bad name and make people think that asians are "volatile martial art killers". People will more likely relate it to gang violence. Also guns are the weopon of choice for Americans, and those are still legal and "necessary" - <sarcasm>and your unpatriotic to think otherwise</sarcasm> - I think MAs are safe for the time being. Here in America we need guns to kill animals and protect Uncle Daddy and Aunt Sister. :)

9. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

Yes, I fail to see why anyone would side with the suspect, merely on the idea of race.

I'm asian but based on the fact presented, I didn't think for a second that the knife attack was justified. The only time use of lethal force is justified, both morally and legally, is when lethal force is applied or about to be applied on you.

A bouncer enforcing club rules doesn't justify killing him.

Nicolo, I think it's best that you keep race and any previous experience with bullies out of your assessment of the incident.

The press kept harping on about FMA being used by the suspect. And I'm sure this will somehow affect the image of these style. The last thing we need are some people cheering for the "absued" asian.

10. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

[​IMG]

Is this about Asians, or the Martial Arts?

Seems to me it's more about sensationalism in the media.
    This from the links posted;

Kali, also called escrima or arnis, is a martial art without a mystical
    side, according to its teachers. It was developed over hundreds of years in
    the Philippines, where it sometimes was forbidden and had to be practiced
    in secret. It was designed, teachers said, to help the underdog against a
    more powerful enemy.

"It's based on this principle: Do unto others before they do unto you,"
    said Frank Ortega, a kali guro, or teacher, in Queens. "It's an aggressive
    art. You don't learn kali to show off or break watermelons, you learn kali
    to survive. It is more of a street art."

:rolleyes:

Say's it all really.

11. moromoro

moromoro New Member

??????????????.... nicolo your a ******

a man died DOING HIS JOB and you applaude the killer, (because hes a little p of s shouldnt matter he is a killer) do you applaude the guy in jail for cold blooded murder??????? if you do, can i suggest counseling.......
    i have and still occasionaly BOUNCE i have dealt with these assholes........ and they are not heroes.... usually they are high on drugs before going in to the club........

terry

12. krys

krys Valued Member

Insane people shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinion on this forum. :woo:
    You are smearing the good name of fmas.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2003
  13. Cain

Cain New Member

Going with nicolo's point, almost all the cold blooded killers are school dropouts, therefore whoever's a school dropout is a cold blooded killer - There goes the majority of hollywood and half of the politicians, and 40 percent of the world's population! :rolleyes:

I really think it's outright silly that FMA is getting so much attention because of a half a$$ed moron who behaved the wrong way!!!!!

If the journalist who wrote that s**t makes an appearance I can imagine flaming him to hell!!!!

|Cain|

14. johndoch

johndoch upurs

We'll never know what really happened so why dont we let it go.

Nicolo try not to glorify someone for doing something you know nothing about. You dont know if the killer was your nutcase or just a normal guy. You also dont know anything about the guy that died so I would suggest that when you are critisizing him for doing his job, DONT.

15. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Absolutely no point going against bouncers, you won't win, other bouncers will turn up, if you beat all them then the police, and whats the piont. You have no right to be in a place if the management don't want you. Best thing is just to leave quietly so they don't remember you next time!

This whole pride thing is BS, but they're doing a job and your trying to have a good night, take it easy ;)

16. johndoch

johndoch upurs

"Best thing is just to leave quietly so they don't remember you next time!"

LOL, Damn so thats the secret
    :D