escrima/kali basics

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by chrischris, May 25, 2005.

1. chrischris

chrischris New Member

are there any sites on the basics of escrima or kali basics? ive used the search function but only found some links to videos that were to advanced... ive just ordered two escrima and was wondering if someone could help

thanks

2. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

you'd be better to find a good instructor to learn from.
    Its not something that you can do easily off the net or from a book or video without some training.

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

agreed. unless your willing to suffer a lot of unneccessary knocks, lumps, and bruising. do not learn from a book or a website.

there is, however, a basics video out in the market that i would recomend. mind you, this is good only to get you started, it shouldn't really replace real training.

4. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

Depending on the style of Kali Eskrima you are interested in, the books, videos etc vary as the systems are slightly different. My self, I practice Villabrille Largusa Kali as taught under the Magda Instutue banner at Impact Martial Arts and for this system I have found the Paul Vunak JKD Fillipino stick fighting video to be an excellent companion. Incidentally I see that you are based in Wales, are you by anychance near Cardiff? If so we have a school there as there is no substitute for proper training, and I thoroughly recommend Impact Martial Arts.

Check out our schools website and drop Sifu Dave Carnell a line.

www.impactjkd.co.uk

Or contact the school direct at:

Impact Martial Arts Academy, Cardiff
    Instructor: Sam Scaife
    Address: Star Centre, Splott Rd, Splott, Cardiff
    Tel: 07971859564

5. chrischris

chrischris New Member

im not too far from cardiff actaully,its about an hour away.

I use a staff in Tang Soo Do, but i've always wanted to use escrima, and its not taught in my school, which is a shame, i think their more effective than staffs.

thanks for all your help

6. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Moved to FMA

7. shootodog

chrischris,

if you're interested in the dvd, please Post it in this thread so we can all benifit :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2005
  8. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Dear Shootodawg, What oh what could the DVD be :rolleyes: ? Please share..... :D

BTW, awsome footage of GM Recto on the KDL site, and great article by Diego. Anymore footage of Maning Recto out there?

9. chrischris

chrischris New Member

i wont be buying the dvd.... im poor lol

i was justhoping that there'd be a site with some basics on....

10. old timer

Check out e bay, everyone can afford a few quid, I have purchased dozens of videos and DVD,s.

11. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

In the spirit of the above, I was wondering if there are any sites that show the short opening "ceremony" for the start of training. I've just started Kali (At Phoenix MMA, Newcastle Upon tyne) and would like to "get" this asap.

12. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

13. old timer

I am sure that the "opening ceremony" or salutation varies from club to club, our salutation is a mixture of Kung fu, Silat and Muay Thai as we are a Jun Fan JKD & Kali school. Have you thought about videoing one of the other students or the instructor so that you can get the motion down.

14. shootodog

you mean aside from handshakes and smiles? then the instructor saying: "ok guys, let's do some warm-ups"

15. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

If your doing Inosanto blend/JKD kali, you can find the Lacoste orasayon/salute by flipping through "The Spiritual Dimensions of the Martial Arts" or "Filipino Martial Culture" at your local bookstore. You can also find a Villibrillle-Largusa prayer in "The Spiritual Dimensions of the Martial Arts".

16. Go Jun Long

Go Jun Long Valued Member

The video on our site: www.komudokwan.com/escrima.html shows one way of the Tacosa salute. Where are you located?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2005
  17. SCP_Kensei

Im in NEwcastle Upon tyne in the UK.

Turns out we train in Inosanto Kali blend.

18. old timer

Do you train in JKD, Kali & Silat as well, if so your salutation may well be the same as ours as we train under the Magda Instutute and Cass Magda trained with Dan Inosanto. If you can very briefly describe the start of it I will know instantly if it is the same.

19. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Then I would have assumed your instructor would have shown you the salutation as part and parcel of the class??? Or maybe he feels he does not need one, many don't. Who you trainin with anyway?????

Best regards

Pat

20. SCP_Kensei

The instructor has run us through it, and we do it before each session, but I wanted a "photo story" style guide to allow me to rehearse it and get it right at home.