Erle Montaigue

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Battleaxer, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Battleaxer

Battleaxer Valued Member

Does anybody train or has trained his Taiji?
    Any experiences?

2. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

Search and ye shall find... there have been many, many threads about him and those who train using his system... too many...

3. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

Infamous

4. SiAiS

SiAiS Moved on

I've touched hands with one of his students. He was very high level. What I noticed most predominantly in his movement was his ability to change angles very quickly, a bit like a spinning ball.

5. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Um..that means nothing in regard to Earle.

My current teacher freely admits that some of my skills come from my previous teacher and have nothing to do with him... :p

Personally, I would love to have a lesson with him. I don't care what people's opinion of him are...I want to find out for myself. One thing is certain, I would learn a lot. :Angel:

6. SiAiS

SiAiS Moved on

Why doesn't it?

Oh, he'd trained with some Chinese grand master too, Ba Gua, Hsing Y and Sun style Tai Chi. But I thought that Earle had been the most predominant senior in his career, certainly the one mentioned... hmm, bad memory perhaps.

7. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

He comes across as crazy. Watch his fajing video, its a good laugh.

8. MonkeysUncle

MonkeysUncle Shakin' like Bacon

If you consider him credible, only worry about his Taiji. He only trained in Bagua for I believe two years, which, even if you're great at another art, isn't enough to become a master or even effective teacher.

9. SiAiS

SiAiS Moved on

I'm pretty sure it was, although he had 10 years on him, pretty good sticking hands, brilliant power removal and awesome short power.

10. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

People say lots of things but at least erle can use tai chi, yes I said use, because today there are many people who call themselves experts or even masters but don’t know the martial art of tai chi, it’s a laughable situation.

I once went to a Chinese herb shop, I was told that the woman there was a tai chi master. So we meet and others working there tell me that she has won several medals in china. She must be good I think. She’s eager to tell me how many years she has been studying for, she says it proudly. I take a class with her, just me and her.
    She shows me some forms, they look nice. I stop her and say “what’s that movement for”. She slows it down and gives me the names of each movement. I say “I did not ask you what the names were, I asked you how it is used”. She looked at me as though I had asked her a strange question. Anyway to make a long story short she had no clue, yet she’s a master right :D

11. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

From what I understand the question with Erle isn't whether or not he can use "it;" it's whether or not "it" is taiji.

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Right,Narrue.I know about some of those "Gold Medal" winners.

As to Erle, regardless of his interpretation, could he really have gotten nothing of substance from Chu?

13. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Does Mr. Montaigue still have his hairstyle that he had in the 1990s?

That haircut would certainly strike fear into any martial artist, far more mightily than any command of kung fu could.

14. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

Hah. That's true.

15. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

He's just some old crank the hippies who secretly want to believe they are bad-asses buy into.

16. Battleaxer

Battleaxer Valued Member

Very interesting comment.
    Do you know him? Or you maybe met him? Do you know anything about his practice?

17. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

I've talked to Erle by e-mail a couple of times. I really like some of his articles.

While I have a different perspective to him on how a few things should be done, and maybe one or two different emphases in outlook (who doesn't?), I think he has done some good stuff and made some important contributions. It bugs me when people just jump in and say insulting things about people, that are not really based on any knowledge.

I reckon the phrase "no investigation, no right to speak" is generally a good rule. If anyone is unsure about the guy, maybe they should go and train with him - find out what he's like - find out how effective his techniques are. In the meantime, maybe they should not say anything unless they have something positive to say. Sound good?

18. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

If refer the honourable lady to:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2ZuNMPON9Y&mode=related&search="]MTG21: Tai Chi Secrets and Tai Chi Dim Mak - YouTube[/ame]

So no I won't shut up and not shine the light on another numpty selling snake oil.

The Bear.

19. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

As you like, PB, but what I'm objecting to is comments about hairstyles and stuff like that - silly personal stuff. If you feel that you have a legitimate comment or criticism to make about the content of the clip you posted, obviously you can do so. Maybe you could also e-mail him or visit a class or seminar he was running, that's all I was driving at. I don't go in for death points, either, but I wasn't referring to that sort of thing when I said he'd made some good contributions.

20. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I think his hair and beard combo is the best thing about him.