Episode IX

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Travess, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Just gonna leave this here...

...and say that I hope that it makes up for the wrongs of The Last Jedi (Yes, I loved The Force Awakens!)

Travess

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I've got goose bumps already!

axelb, Morik and Travess like this.
  3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mixed feelings. Looks interesting, but I find myself less than enthused after the way I think they butchered Luke's character. His story arc in the newer films were most unsatisfying and it leaves me less interested in future films. That said, I am sure I will see it.

Thomas and axelb like this.
  4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I don't like the flip over the Tie Fighter...but am excited for this.
    Sure TLJ was fun to watch (then in my opinion, got worse as I slowly analysed it post viewing), so will see.

Also, wonder who they are referring to re the title? Will it be Luke or Ben? I really hope it's not Rey.

axelb likes this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Yeah the title and trailer certainly makes a lot of questions.
    Including the familiar laugh at the end.

On face value of the trailer I do feel excited to watch it, mostly because my daughter is incredibly excited watching the trailer and already has her theories :D

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Ermmmm, did anybody actually watch the recent films? Rogue One was a decent film. If it hadn't had Star Wars in the title, it would have stood as worth watching.

Before that, if you remove Star Wars from the title, when was the last time the franchise produced a good film?

I get the nostalgia, the original was the first film I saw at the cinema, I loved it. Empire was good, Return enjoyable too.

But almost everything since then has just been poor. I don't care about canon etc, I just want to see good films that aren't remakes. Years of disappointment turning to indifference have followed.

Rogue One was the first one to actually be a good film. Acting was decent, story good, I almost started to care again.

Last Jedi put paid to any notions of a recovery. Seriously, try watching it with your Star Wars head turned off. It's risible. I have no dog in the fight, but it's just a bad film.

Still, let's hope, you never know. But I don't have much faith..

Bozza Bostik, Frodocious and Mushroom like this.
  7. Mushroom

That's the problem. The franchise is completely relying on nostalgia of 4 5 and 6. (we shall never discuss 1,2,3) But it is hard to "have nostalgia", when the SW world has been non stop sending out video games, books, cartoons etc...
    My main issue with Force Awakens was that it was a beat for beat (nearly) remake of New Hope. And then Rocky: Creed 1 and 2 is basically following the same formula. A remake/sequel - "remakquel" (wanna copyright that term)

axelb likes this.
  8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Return was good, but would have been tons better without the cutesy Ewoks. I hear they were originally supposed to be Wookiee's but settled for the cheaper production costs of Ewoks. Bad choice that. Would have been better with Wookiee's.

I actually thought Rogue One was pretty great! The best Star Wars movie in a very long time. I liked Force Awakens, even though it was just basically a remake.

I liked a lot about the Last Jedi. But the Luke angle ruined my enjoyment of a lot of it. I am in good company. Mark Hamill didn't think that Luke would have been like that in the last movie either.

I had a similar experience as Mushroom.

Enjoyed it, but the more I thought about it, the more I disliked what they did with Luke. Made me totally disinterested in seeing the Solo movie, although I hear it was good.

axelb likes this.
  9. Dead_pool

Wierdly I only started watching star wars a few years ago with episode 3, which was terrible (with some great ideas in it) , I then watched 1 and 2, still thought them overall terrible (again with some great ideas in them) , then watched the originals, which were truly great, so when I watched TFA it was amazing, rogue one was really good, TLJ wasn't as good, and the pacing/story seemed a little off, but it was still a good film, but didn't seem to live up to "true fans" expectations.

I've just recieved Solo in the post, I'll be attempting to watch that this week somepoint, wierdly I've read the book, and the story is great, hopefully the film will also be that.

So cut to the end, if you just like scifi, new Sw is great, if you've spent 40 years being a super fan, it will be different then your own very personal (over) expectations. But if you don't go to see it, they won't make any more. And that would be a shame, A bit like the new ST films.

Edit for anyone who hasnt seen it:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    axelb and Travess like this.
  10. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I think if it wasn't for my daughter getting into it (10 years old now) I would not have bothered with the recent films.
    I really enjoyed TLJ in the cinema with my daughter dressed up as Rey, her excited energy was what made it so much more enjoyable.

I agree that post viewing TLJ made it worse and I haven't watched it since. Funnily a friend who is a director had the same experience, came back after watching and gave it a positive rating, then thought about it and ended up all the way to the bottom of the rating scale :D

I recall feeling the same after watching episode one, some great cinematics, Darth Maul really made it for me. Post viewing analysis destroyed it.
    It feels like they are fickle films, great on face value, made for watching in the cinema, enjoyment expires when the credits roll.

I thought Solo was okay, it took a while to get around to watching it as my expectations were tainted by TLJ.
    Still bring in December, I wonder if my daughter will dress as Rey again.

- on a side note, if anyone wants to wear a costume to a movie, I'm ok with that, unless you are a guy going to see a marvel movie wearing a tight cheap costume like spider Man, in which case that costume didn't leave much to the imagination :eek:

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I thought Solo was the most enjoyable one of the recent batch.
    Although imho they all suffer from condensing things that should take decades, span galaxies and involve multiple people into much smaller timescales and distances.
    The best thing about these films are the red letter media videos that go along with them.

Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I get more excited about their reviews than the films.

Smitfire likes this.
  13. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I bet there are already videos up on youtube seething with rage about the tie-fighter flip.

"How can she jump over a tie-fighter when she didn't even train with Yoda? She's a Mary Sue, it's Disney's PC agenda to brainwash kids into thinking that girls can do all the cool stuff men can do, that's not realistic like Luke Skywalker was...".

I'm still baffled as to why Rogue One is commonly seen as the best of the recent bunch.

axelb likes this.
  14. Mushroom

I've not seen Solo. Many of my friends are in the film business and get invited to press screenings etc.. but they walked out of it. So I been reluctant since, even tho I do have a copy on top of the pile to watch.

axelb likes this.
  15. Dead_pool

I recently read the book of the film, (insomnia is a terrible thing) and the basic story is solid, there's some nice fan nods along the way too.

I was a big fan of the, considering the age difference, han is essentially chewys pet reference too!

axelb likes this.
  16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I like the look of it. I'm not as picky when it comes to Star Wars though.

Dead_pool likes this.
  17. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I had the opposite experience with the Last Jedi...I thought it was "pretty enjoyable" at first, then I thought about it a bit and now I believe it's a lot cleverer than it first appears.

The middle sagged a bit, Rose and Finn just weren't as fun to watch as Finn and Poe...but Luke's story was my favourite part. When you write a sequel (trilogy) to a story that was effectively wrapped, you need to damage the characters somehow, otherwise what's the point? I love that things went horribly wrong for Luke. Yea, him kicking ass and taking names would've been a bit of banal fun, but if I want banal fun I'll go watch a marvel film (I won't).

And I said this when TFA came out, I think Abrams was really clever in taking Star Wars back a bit for the first movie ie; making a remake of a New Hope. It puts you on common ground so you can then kick the thing right off course the way they did in TLJ.

I can't understand how Solo gets more love than TLJ. I literally can't remember a thing about it, other than the Darth Maul cameo, because I hated it so much. I feel you can come back after being cut in half and falling down a bottomless pit, then you're just undermining your own drama. It's fan service at the cost of storytelling. He even twirled his sabre around for no freaking reason - as if to say "remember this? Remember how cool I was in that other film?"

If you're going to watch any film without your SW hat on, watch the original trilogy...they don't stand up well (except Empire of course)*

As someone working on the seventh draft of a novel, I've got a thing for the art of storytelling, and the sequel trilogy deserves more credit for the way it's done things**

*i still love all of them

**in my humble, unpublished opinion

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

So, wait, is Rey related to Luke or not? I don't get the Skywalker reference seeing how Luke is dead.

19. Mushroom

As I've said.... Rise of the Skywalker. It could mean (Force Ghost) Luke becomes an even higher entity. We know he comes back.

It could also mean Ben Solo, who is of Skywalker lineage become the babyface. (Rising against the Sith)

Leia Organa-Skywalker may "rise to the Heavens" in an epic moment.

Rey could actually be a Skywalker. (In which i really hope not)

Or...a long lost Skywalker family member (Ace Skywalker) comes in, smashes everyone, wrecks the narrative of the past 2 movies, does a Saber(mic) drop, flips the bird and Force flies off into the Galaxy. Just in time for breakfast.

axelb likes this.
  20. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I loved episodes 4,5,6 and they have stayed with me as some of my favorite movies (and ones I re-watch over the years). I actually liked the prequels (1,2,3)... there was some stuff in them that I didn't like (like Anakin), but they stand up pretty well for me. The Force Awakens was fun... really hit the old nostalgia buttons.

Rogue One was excellent - loved the story and characters. Solo was OK... didn't really advance the story at all or add much we didn't know.

Last Jedi sucked.

I hope IX is better. I have to confess being excited for the trailer (Lando!) and will watch it when it comes out.