Enshin Karate?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Mitch, Mar 17, 2010.

1. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

I have concerns over your commitment here Mitch....?

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Never sensei! Osu!

Mitch

Eeeuuw, my hand!

3. Gary - Enshin

Gary - Enshin Valued Member

LOL

Thanks for the write up Mitch, kind of you.

You'll get used to the Osu! (ing) It becomes second nature.

It's used as a sign of mutual respect rather than a simple "Yo!" The actual characters mean "push" and "endure" so when conjoined it's more to motivate than congratulate.

I'm happy to answer any (sensible) questions about Enshin should any forum users wish to post them here.

Gary C

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  4. Mitch

Nice to see you here Sensei :)

Mitch

5. Mitch

What might be interesting for folks would be a little write up on Enshin to give an idea of it, perhaps relating it Kyokushin or other Karate styles so people have some context to put it in Gary?

As a style that's less well known (at least in the UK) it would be handy to have something to point people at in the future. Just a general summary of the main points of the style and training in it.

Cheers,
    Mitch

6. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

I'd like to read your loooooong post on why.

Gary

7. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Used incorrectly, I worry that it’s a bit like the "Come-onnnn!!!!" that seems to be synonymous with many sporting event s/ athletes these days!!!

I've banned it in my dojo -I can't stand it (and the “Come-onnnn!!!” thing in sport as a whole) but that’s just my age I guess.

Budo isn't sport at the end of the day, and therefore "osu"-ing isn’t part of it imo.

Gary N (also a sensei)

8. Gary - Enshin

Gary N

Each to their own. It's mainly a 'Kyokushin and related styles' thing. In our dojo it signifies effort and respect. It's not done to be cocky or arrogant.

Mitch

Enshin is Kancho Ninomiya's style, which inevitably includes elements of all his past experience, i.e. Judo, Kyokushin and Ashihara.

My route was from Kyokushin to Enshin.

Kancho Ashihara was one of Sosai Oyama's top Kyokushin instructors and his ability was by all accounts awesome. Due to some jealousy from other instructors his position within the Organisation became untenable. He left to form Ashihara karate and reputedly immediately set about training fighters that were very relaxed and fluid, with superb footwork. One of my Instructors in Japan, Sensei Nakamura, remarked that, "Ashihara(s) fighters always got really good impact, even though they always looked relaxed. The key was moving away from the rigid techniques and working with the body, not against it" He also concentrated on Sabaki, i.e. the system of movement that allows you to gain a position of advantage against the opponent by moving to their blind spot. (For a full explanation I suggest anyone interested should read 'The Sabaki Method' - Kancho Ninomiya's book and a great addition to any fighters library) He also developed new kata, as he felt the traditional ones were no longer applicable to the current fighting style. (Kyokushin tournaments certainly showed the myth of 'one strike' finishes in 99% of the fights - so fast flowing smooth combinations became the weapon of choice and included in the kata)

Kancho Ninomiya was Kancho Ashihara's top student, and despite being comparatively small as against some of the top fighters of the time, did extremely well in the Kyokushin Tournaments, coming third in the first World Tournament in 1975, and winning the All-Japan in 1978. (This is before Kyokushin fragmented on the death of Mas. Oyama and started having several 'World' and 'All-Japan' Tournaments) As a young man, he had been given the opportunity to train / teach in the USA, where every session included sparring against huge Americans when, as he put it, he was "not allowed to lose." This naturally helped him formulate his own ideas of how to handle large and aggressive opponents.

When Kancho Ashihara left Kyokushin, Kancho Ninomiya left with him. For a time he was the US chief instructor for Ashihara karate. He moved to Denver, and literally started from scratch, in time building his own world-wide following. On leaving Ashihara later for personal reasons, he then included his own refinements to change and develop into his own style, Enshin. As to differences, Kancho Ninomiya's judo experience helped formulate a revision of the rule system whereby take downs and throws became an integral part of the fighting. Some Ashihara stylists of course claim Kancho Ninomiya merely took Ashihara and re-branded it. I disagree for two main reasons. First, the extra throwing techniques mentioned above, but secondly I feel that Kancho Ninomiya also deserves some credit for the original ideas included in the Ashihara style. He was already Kancho Ashihara's most successful competitor, so it was perhaps natural that Ashihara karate incorporated some of the techniques that Kancho Ninomiya was already using effectively against larger opponents.

The historians on the site will know that traditional (whatever the hell that is) karate incorporated throws, so in reality the wheel has turned a full circle rather than being re-invented. Enshin has gone back to a more inclusive system, not the 'touch' and 'no throwing' fighting found in many styles. The kata also developed, with flowing combinations and takedowns being the main theme. These can be trained alone or in pairs. There are no hidden mysteries, just focused repetition until things start to flow smoothly and instinctively.

The irony of course is obvious. Many styles claim to be 'traditional', but in reality they are now so stylised they no longer represent the inclusive system intended by their founders. In this sense, although only twenty years old Enshin is far more traditional than 'touch' styles claiming direct lineage to a brawler in a fishing village 150 years ago.

Gary C

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  9. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Wow, great post Gary.
    Looking at videos of the Sabaki Challenge, alot of the takedowns seem to be grabbing the sleeve and sweeping the opponent. Do you focus on sweeps in Enshin more than the other throws of Judo, and does any of the groundwork of Judo feature?

10. Gary - Enshin

Thanks boards,

The throws sweeps and takedowns are more to put the opponent in a safe position on the floor for a follow up strike, rather than the classic Judo throws where the aim might be to throw ones opponent flat on their back.

If you manage to take the opponent down cleanly without a follow up one point is awarded. With a controlled follow up, three.

Groundwork doesn't feature in the tournaments, but individual dojo often include that in the spectrum of what they teach. I don't personally.

Gary

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

We use "Osu" in Shidokan (quite a lot) and it has multiple meanings (IMHO).
    When used in class I take it for a shorthand phrase that means "I may not fully understand what is being asked of me but I will try my best nonetheless!". :)

12. Gary - Enshin

Thanks PASmith

We're not alone then! I think I only fully understood the meaning after really hard fighting. You knock lumps off each other and make friends with the floor a few times, then on "Yame!" You shake hands and bow politely with a strong "Osu!"

No butt slapping or smugness there, just respect and appreciation. When I trained in Japan I was amazed how much it was used, and to be honest thought it lost a bit of value when endlessly repeated. As in all things there's a balance to maintain.

Gary

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I use "osu" to mean "all your base are belong to us", but that might just be me.

14. Gary - Enshin

LOL

That's right over my head. Please elaborate.

Gary

15. Mitch

A reference to old video games I think :)

Thanks for the history/description Gary, it'll be useful to have it here so anyone interested in the style in future can search for Enshin and find out something about it.

Mitch

16. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Thanks, that was what I thought due to the points awarded but nice to be told for sure.

17. Gary - Enshin

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  18. Gary - Enshin

Any damage from last night Mitch?

19. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Glad to have you here Gary.

20. Gary - Enshin

Thanks Kuma. Mitch came back so credit to him.

Gary

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010