English Title Fight Video

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Unreal Combat, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Official video of my fight at Battleborn 3 for the WRSA English Light Heavyweight Full Contact Kickboxing Title.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGchNzovBYI"]Battleborn 3 - Lei Bridges vs Arran Kendrick - YouTube[/ame]

The bout was 5 x 1.30 minute rounds under Pro-Am rules. I'm fighting out of the red corner.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I enjoyed watching this very much. Your opponent came out quite aggressive and that would've taken many aback - which is probably what he was counting on. You rolled his shots like a pro boxer, man! Even some of the kicks. but you were quick about moving away so as not to eat a knee! Nice uppercut at 3:04 - I think he felt that as he stopped advancing a bit and stood in place shuffling a bit so as to not seem hurt. Did you pick up on that?

Brilliant work, Lei!

You might want to mention you're the one in the blue corner for those who don't know.

3. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Congratulations!

I did also go read your blog about this fight. Nice to be able to see the fight video, and to read your thoughts, feelings, etc.

Keep up the great work!

4. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Congrats, and great video!

Thanks for posting it.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'll watch this later when I get a chance.

6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Great vid UC, great performance and a well deserved win :).

7. Unreal Combat

I was the short one in the red corner. :D

8. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Good performance UC! Well done.

Cheers

Dan

9. nimpy

nimpy Valued Member

Great vid, great performance.

Well done!

10. belltoller

LOL!! Ha - I've seen enough of your vids to know which one you are - I must be going colour-blind.

Next time, please come out o' the blue corner, alreet?

11. Unreal Combat

12. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

I think you must've gotten confused because his opponent was the one wearing red clown shoes :).

13. belltoller

Why, oh why...didn't I take the blue pill?

14. Unreal Combat

Because you are colour blind? :D

15. belltoller

No...'cause I'm ace :cool:

16. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

You would have knocked that guy out, but you didnt use the upper cut, your hands were better than his, I think he was too woried about your right, it was your left he should have been worried about lols, good hay maker btw. Thing I liked the most was foot speed, yours is actually much better than average and good breathing I could you all the way from where it was shot, keep up the good work and youll dance with the big cats my man, oh dont forget that uppercut bud.

17. Unreal Combat

18. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Watched this fight again, something told me to take another look. I dont withdraw my compliments in the least but upon viewing the second time I gotta suggest working the foot work if you know what I mean. My impression is your a bit of a slugger in your heart anyway, meaning you like to double up your fists and go to town, thats a good thing Im same way in my spirit too, but it seems like somebody has made you drill kicks and drill kicks and drill kicks and then drill kicks some more, maybe your a natural but I doubt it cause thats rare.

You have some thunder in your kicks and there fast, if you land a rib shot its gonna do things, same with the thigh, I wouldnt wanna get kicked by you. But the kick is not all there is, you mix it up good though I thought you threw more punches during the fight than kicks my advice is you start banging with the feet a little more, if you do that the man will start to drop his hands which I believe is a good thing for you cause you tend to have a bomb in that left glove.
    Check out some savate footage, there kicking style might give you some ideas it might not IDK, and you gotta start useing the pivot a little more, you had pretty happy feet there, pivoting and sitting down on your strikes is gonna help you knock that guy out, Im sure your trainer is on his game so dont mind me, im just talking here.

19. Unreal Combat

Just so you know I went into this fight suffering from a pretty bad case of flu. The paramedics almost didn't allow me to fight. After round one I could barely throw anything. By round five I was pretty much dying inside.

I only had a couple of months to get ready for this fight, having switched fight camp a couple of months before the fight and being offered a title shot, and I came from a predominantly K1 Rules Kickboxing and Muay Thai fighting background (did K1 style for 2 years and then Muay Thai for around a year). This was also my first ever Full Contact Kickboxing bout and my second decision fight, the first being a Muay Thai fight in which I was much calmer and more focused due to being in better shape (in that I scored two knockdowns, via knee and body punch).

I am a natural kicker, I prefer to kick than punch that's why I don't do Boxing instead. In Kickboxing you need to throw a minimum amount of kicks per round otherwise you lose points. The main plan for this fight however was to sit on his chest and throw body shots due to his height and hard right ranged overhand that he likes to throw. High kicks were a big no due to his height (he was half a foot taller than me), though I still threw a cheeky one for fun, lol.

Regarding pivoting, when you're tired or when you get that adrenaline dump (which I also got, the odds were stacked against me, lol) you just throw whatever. It's easy to look back and say what I should have done, I do it alot myself as I'm my own biggest critic, but once that fatigue from illness kicks in you just throw whatever you can I guess, lol. It was more about landing the kick so I didn't lose points from the judges at one point, I was that tired out. :D

And yes, I do like to go for it with my hands sometimes too. :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  20. belltoller

Corr..lei, you think some's stand in front of a bag that don't move, don't kick, don't feint, don't punch doing combo 8's all out for 15 minutes dern't be knackered none at all? lol

Some's ner had adrenaline dump in a wee 3 min sparring match, neither. ;)

I do envy them so.

----

I thought it an unbelievably frenetic pace.