End to light bulbs forever?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 2E0WHN, Sep 1, 2009.

1. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

So the light bulb will be no more. We will all be having to use these energy light bulbs which when you think about it, are dangerous.

I do not think for a moment that a light bulb can be that much of a danger. The new energy efficient bulbs are a serious health risk. These contain mercury. If these explode in your house better put on the teapot for the emergency services. After all, mercury vapour is a potential killer and as it is a chemical emergency you will not get some fireman turning up about smoke alarms.

So now when you film indoors on your phone everyone is going to be strobing in a sickly yellow on new phones until some bright spark figures out the setting for indoors on it. Your lampshade will no longer fit and you have to buy more or think “Sod it. I will leave it to hang and make my pleasant room look like I can not afford anything to put up there except a cheap 29p bulb. How sad am I?”

We should keep our bulbs and have a choice of what we should use. Even though I am for the energy saving ones I am not wanting them in my house like a ticking time bomb that when activated can cause something like a life threatening dilemma such as death from mercury poisoning. If it carries on it would see a rise in coroners certificates akin to the 19th century.

I think I will not bother with the bulbs. I hear candles are safer next to a pile of clothes on a wobbly table.:rolleyes:

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I can't tell if you are joking or not. Please clarify.

We've been replacing our old bulbs with energy efficient bulbs for years now. We've had no problems with them whatsoever (other than the lamp shade dilemma(it was ugly as hell anyway, so no loss)).

Also the amount of mercury is minute, IIRC, less than 1% of the amount found in a standard mercury based thermometer and that whilst it isn't good for you, there isn't enough to do you any real harm.

3. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Few weeks ago there was a light bulb exploding and they used Hazmat. It is not the mercury that is the problem but the vapour produced.

These low energy bulbs are a danger if they explode and the vapour produced is classed as a chemical alert. And Europe wants us to have this?

4. garth

garth Valued Member

I can see a conspiracy theory on its way.

Garth

5. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

quite possibly- he's out of the sinbin tomorrow.

6. holyheadjch

7. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Guess Snopes did not see this part on the BBC news page.

Maybe a cause for concern over this subject.

8. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

Fluorescent lights have been in use for decades, in the form of those long tube bulbs. Why the worry all of a sudden?

9. holyheadjch

Did you even read your own source before posting it?

If you are that paranoid,you should immediately take steps to have your refrigerator professionally removed, because they pose a far greater risk to health. A leaking fridge put my Dad and one of his colleagues in hospital just a couple of months ago, I doubt a CFL bulb would have managed that.

10. garth

garth Valued Member

Knight Errant posted
    Ha Ha, he probably thinks that the Mods are all members of the Illuminati now for banning him.

Garth

11. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

Singularely, maybe not. But where I am, they need to be taken to the Hazardous Waste Depot for disposal. A lot of them in a landfill are cause for concern.

Also the energy saving is a double edge argument. Sure they use less electricity, and emit less heat. Which is great in warm climes. Up north however, for every watt of heat saved, it needs to be replaced by your furnace working harder.

Plus in places where a dimmer is wanted, the incadescent will be replaced by halogen, which emit far greater heat.

12. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

You jest of course, but I bet he does- or something very much like it :D

13. Topher

Topher allo!

Shhhhhhhhhhhh!