Embroidery question

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Llamageddon, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Stanislovas

Stanislovas Valued Member

It reads (literally) as "Ga-ri-e Ni-e-do-mu", so I couldn't really guess your last name too well.

That one reads as "Ma-tto Don-hi". I don't know how to pronounce your last name, but I know that that's usually how "Matt" is translated.

2. flo0d

flo0d Dingo

Where I train (not a truley traditional school), we have the 'Dans' on the left as well as the persons name, the name of the school and then the city and country together.

ie.

Matt Donoghue
    Shotokan Academy
    Perth, Australia

On the right hand side we have the Japanese Kanji.

peace

3. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Phonetically my surname (Needham) is pronounced Needom so its pretty close. And at least it doesn't read Nob Head.

Gary

4. metalfury

metalfury Valued Member

Take a look at the order form on this site. It has guidelines on where to place your embroidery and suggestions for Kanji/Katakana for names and styles.

Tokaido Belts

The more expensive belts are embroidered during construction so that no embroidery appears on the reverse. The cheaper ones (eg blitz) do some kind of black overstiching on the reverse to hide the stiching on the back.

The guidelines for name and style placement are by no means set in stone, if it balances better the other way round then go for it. (unless your association is heavy on that side of things?)

For length I read as a recomendation your waist measurement in cm x 2 +125cm. I found when ordering mine that the manufacturers recomended much longer belts, but the above calculation leaves me with around 10-12 inches of loose belt. The longer belts would just hit me in the face!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  5. Stanislovas

Stanislovas Valued Member

Actually, "Nob head" is the alterate translation, heh.

6. Zen Warrior

Zen Warrior Red Dragon System

Be careful with it, in our style 2nd Dan onwards get the honor of having there belts embroided. A straight black belt or Shodan doesn't get the honor.

On one side you should have the style in Chinese Kanji, which for us is 剛柔会 which translates in to "Open Hand Way" or [Goju Kai] on the other side you should have your name in Katakana phonetically, but not English phonetics, Japanese phonetics i.e. the way a Japanese person would say an English name. Your best having the translation done by a Japanese person or else you can create a lot of laughter with mispronunciations. I don't have to worry to much about my name as there's already a translation of it which being a Greek name is unusual but it seems quite popular in Japan and is translated as オレステス if I romanise that it comes out something like Oresutesu

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  7. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

I'm going to get a new belt too after my nidan grading, as my one isn't very good, the original belt I was given had a white stripe running the length of it to signify I was a junior (under 18). Probably gonna get a Shureido, since they embroider it for you and that's just what we tend to go for, and probably silk/satin. I think they're hard to tie at first but get easier, and just have a nicer feel. I dunno, not many luxuries to be had in karate, not what it's about anyway :)

8. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Time to resurrect the thread!

I have finally got myself my embroidered black belt. And it is beautiful:

[​IMG]

If you're thinking about getting one done I'd strongly recommend kuroobiya. Straight from the factories in Japan

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

red embroidery on black belt = win

what'd you end up putting on it?

10. Llamageddon

It says 'Matt Donoghue' or the closest transliteration thereof.

It looks awesome - can't wait to bust it out in training!

I will have to start tying it slightly off though so it hangs nicely :p

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

What material is it Llama?

12. Llamageddon

Cotton. Didn't fancy silk or satin

13. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Good man - and an Hirota... look at you!!!

14. Llamageddon

I will be the belle of the dojo! Just got to save up for the gi next!

15. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

Been away a bit, but since everyone was sharing...

My belt that I got november last year

Attached Files:

16. Llamageddon

very nice!

17. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

Necroposting: My way of life. lol

not right to make a new one when mine comes in but when it does i'll res this post again.

maybe we could have a thread of pictures of people's Embroidered belts? who wants to show there's off?

18. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Yaayyy! Someone finally made a needlepoint thread on MAP!!

19. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

OK - I know this is a bit juvenile, but it was back when I was in high school... Here's a prank you can play on the slightly squeamish or prudish folks...

This requires two guys, for reasons that will soon be obvious...

You start arguing, each of you saying that "yours" is longer. Make sure you develop a bit of a ruckus... then you both agree, saying something to the effect of "Fine. Whip it out and check!"

You both undo your belts like you're going to drop your trousers, and then hold up the belts and compare the lengths.

(We used to do this to the girls in band.)

That just came to mind since everyone was comparing belts. :)

20. dlloyd

dlloyd Valued Member

マット is "Matto"... you hardly hear the "o", it's that short. That's as close to Matt as you're going to get.

ドノヒ is "Donohi", and the i at the end is very short... to the extent that you only hear the "h"

ドノヒュー is "Donohyu", with a long vowel sound at the end... the closest you'll get to your name.

Edit: Just noticed the date of the first post... doh!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011