Embattled boxing Judge CJ Ross steps down

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by OwlMAtt, Sep 18, 2013.

1. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Looks like Boxing fans are getting their wish.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ed-leave-in-wake-of-mayweather-canelo-debacle

The judge who scored a tie in Mayweather's dominating performance over Alvarez and gave a win to Bradley over Pacquiao last year has stepped down. The Nevada Athletic Commission seemed to waver between bashing her and backing her in the wake of the most recent fight, but now that she's gone they're not pretending not to be happy about it. The Commission says they're changing their judge selection process, effective immediately for the Marquez/Bradley fight in October.

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Whoever made CJ's last deposit is now having a hole dug somewhere out in the Nevada desert...

3. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I saw this article on ESPN boxing as well. I was so happy to see her leave but unfortunately the damage has already been done.

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Been a great time for boxing this last year. Larry Merchant retires, horrible judge gets fired . . . . . makes a guy happy.

5. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Dude, Larry Merchant was/is awesome. Sure, he talks real slow (very, very slow), but his insight was phenomenal. Personally, I like all the commentators from HBO Boxing over Showtime's any day of the week.

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Um, I don't think you're thinking of the same Larry Merchant that the rest of us are thinking of. :eek: ;) Maybe 25 years ago he was insightful, but in recent years ... no.

7. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Haha unfortunately I wasn't into boxing when I was 4 years old. Maybe I'm just the odd one out for liking him as a commentator the past few years.

8. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Can't agree there... Jim Gray gives these guys the tough questions that people want the answers to. IMO of course.

9. Saved_in_Blood

Yeah, Larry sucks... and how about Jim Lampley's glasses? They suck too.

10. Ero-Sennin

You're dead to me.

11. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I suppose. I mean I'm all for new ideas and I'm glad Showtime has stepped it up so much, but I can't help but miss the old HBO crew.

:cry:

12. Ero-Sennin

I scowl at your tears of sorrow. Go lay your head in the lap of Larry Merchant for comfort, while he makes comments about boxing that make no sense and are irrelevant to the match that is going on.

/me spits

13. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Hahaha. I thought his post-fight analyses were always very interesting. Meh, to each their own huh.

14. puma

puma Valued Member

Why hasn't CJ Ross been shot yet?

15. Saved_in_Blood

Probably protected by bob arum. The word was that when manny "lost" to Bradley that manny's contract was almost up with arum and he was considering going elsewhere.

Floyd a while back had gotten copies of manny's pay and how much he actually was making. It wasn't near what was reported that he was getting because arum was taking quite a chunk of it. Floyd offered manny 40 million with no PPV, right out of the gate. No bob arum or anyone else to take any from it. Manny declined obviously, but after getting flattened by Marquez i'll bet he wished he would have taken it now.