Elon Musk's kid escape submarine.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

2. Dead_pool

chatter box likes this.
  3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Its a shame one of the rescuers lost his life saving them.

SWC Sifu Ben, axelb and chatter box like this.
  4. Dead_pool

I don't think they're saved yet, but yes, a massive shame, it seems like their was some confusion about oxygen levels.

It would be appropriate for a gofundme etc for his surviving family.

chatter box likes this.
  5. Dead_pool

chatter box and Pretty In Pink like this.
  6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Musk genuinely helped in Puerto Rico, installing solar and battery systems that allowed a children's hospital to function, among other things.

NPR Choice page

I'm sure that part of the reason he does this is positive publicity, but that's not his sole or primary motivation. He also genuinely thinks that he can solve traditional problems with non-traditional solutions and is excited to do so. I'm not saying that as a Tesla fanboy--I think his rejection of the traditional can be excessive, especially in the automotive scene where "traditional" includes everything from quality control issues to the bizarre ergonomics of the Model 3--but I think he's coming from a good place.

Dead_pool likes this.
  7. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm genuinely surprised that they could get any kids out of there. I've done maybe 200 dives and I know I am absolutely unqualified to do anything like this. The divers have my admiration.

Dead_pool and chatter box like this.
  8. chatter box

chatter box Member

Its' been too long.please get the others out.they are are only children.
    so sad for the parents.
    i remember the chilean miners cave rescue,2010?
    that made me cry when i saw them coming out of the cave.

Simon likes this.
  9. Dead_pool

10. philosoraptor

FOUR MORE OUT WOOOOO

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Dead_pool

Mitch likes this.
  12. chatter box

chatter box Member

All 12 boys and coach successfully rescued.

13. philosoraptor

I am seriously amazed that this was the result. I was kind of in a funk imagining these kids dying down there and figured that's what we'd be hearing about.

chatter box likes this.
  14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

How did they get trapped there anyhow? I haven't been following the story but I saw today Elon Musk did actually build and take a submarine and has left it in Thailand for potentially similar situations.

15. Dead_pool

Re Elon musk

Why was Elon Musk at the Thai cave rescue?

16. philosoraptor

I think they were caving and didn't realize that it was monsooning outside. By the time they did, their exit had been cut off. The water kept rising and they were forced to move deeper and deeper into the cave.

17. Dead_pool

Yep, thats the same as on here:

Who are the Thai boys who were trapped in a cave?

18. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

How did anybody know where they were? (Did they have cell phones that worked from the caves?)

19. Dead_pool

The story of Thailand's cave rescue

"On Saturday 23 June, 12 members of the Wild Boar soccer team, aged 11-16, entered the Tham Luang cave system in Thailand's Chiang Rai Province along with their 25-year-old football coach after a team practice.

The cave system, which is 10km (6 miles) deep, is known locally for its deep recesses and narrow passages. The team has reportedly visited the cave before - but this time heavy rains cause flooding, impeding their exit.

After the children fail to return home, they are reported missing and search efforts begin.

Initial rescuers at the site reportedly find the team's bicycles, football boots and other belongings close to the cave's entrance.
    Three days in, divers from the Royal Thai Navy arrive to assist in local search efforts.

Fresh hand and footprints are spotted inside the vast cave complex, raising hopes for the group's safety.

Government officials visit the site, and Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon says the government is still optimistic the team can be found alive.

Rescuers consider other routes in - teams of soldiers search for alternative entrance points and the authorities consider drilling into the mountain to get access.

On Monday 2 July there is dramatic news - divers have found all of the boys and their coach safe nine days after they went missing.

The team are found on a rock shelf about 4km (2.5 miles) from the cave mouth."

chatter box and aikiMac like this.
  20. Dead_pool