elliptical and running.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bwhite55, Oct 20, 2007.

1. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

how accurate is the elliptical as far as being able to tell your speed if you were running? i know its similar to running in many aspects, but its also similar to a bike and has different mechanics.

the reason i ask is cuz i busted out a 6.5 min mile and a 2 mile in 15 mins. i don't know if that is good or not, but i feel if i was running, and my knees did'nt act up i'd be able to do a 7-7.5 min, which i'm happy cuz the last time i timed a mile was a 9 min mile in highschool. i do elliptical alot cuz i can't run every day, i run 2-3 times a week as a theraputic run and when i try to run hard, both my knees hurt and i have shin splints. i've been off my gluco/condroitin lately cuz of money, so i'm doing all i can to reduce any joint issues.

2. Suhosthe

Suhosthe A dwarf! A dwarf!

I'm skeptical about the elliptical. ;)

I hate XTs, so this obviously leads to an inherent mistrust. :p

Frankly, I don't like to take the values these machines attribute to anything without a healthy dose of disbelief. Last week, a treadmill told my friend that while she was jogging at a moderate pace, her heartrate was 63 bpm.

Not bloomin' likely! :D

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  3. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

awww, i was feelin good about myself too :(

oh well, i guess i'll have to do a timed run on the track soon to see where i'm at.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I only use the numbers on machines (of any sort) to track progress on THAT machine.
    Even treadmills don't really replicate running. So a 10k on a mill is not the same as 10k on the road and vice versa.
    For example on the squat machine at the gym I do 240. I'm under no illusions that I could actually squat that much for real. It just means on that particular machine I'm squating more than the setting that says 220. :)