elbows to the neck

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ikken Hisatsu, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

elbowing the back of someones neck is often used as a method of defending against a shoot. but in this clip- the guy doesn't go down from one. in fact he hardly seems phased by the first one. and that was delivered by a professional fighter who wasn't being tackled over at the time.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CPOL15K2

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I don't understand why they allow elbows to the back of the neck yet they cover their hands with boxing gloves. :confused:

If you are wondering about the effectiveness of the elbows, who really knows, for instance, I've seen guys take good shots to the chin yet not be phased by it. Some people have strong necks and aren't as phased by attacks as easily.

My guess would be that the angle of the elbows was not ideal for the strike. Strikes to the back of the neck are dangerous, they can take away three senses and knockout, and they can do permanant damage to the central nervous system, however, at the same time, the human body is able to take downward strikes very well to some places. Strikes that hit at a 90 degree angle to the back of the neck and stretch the brain stem to the side can be very effective.

The strikes in the video hit more at a 45 degree angle. A better target might have been the top of the skull (90 degree angle hit) or a point just behind the shoulder between the shoulder blade and spine (also could have been hit at a 90 degree angle).

Well just some thoughts.

3. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

I'd like to see it but it says it's exceeded its limit. If you want to put it on yousendit and pm me with the location, I'll download it and share it via some spare web space I've got that doesn't have any bandwidth restrictions.

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  5. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

6. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

I don't know whether Ikken was making a point about elbows, but the reality is that whether or not the technique was perfect this man was taking the kind of beating that would put most people in hospital, and he was still standing and fighting back at the end of it. Tough little *********

7. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i would love to put out that us MMA fighters are all supermen....but to tell you the truth...the body is more resiliant than the "one shot one kill" culture would have you believe

ikken. i wanted to de post after post of dismissing the "ultamate shot"...are you trying to steel my thunder??

8. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I've seen people walk away from worse, but that isn't the point. I've also seen much less knock someone out.

My point is that a hit to the central nervous system has immediate effect on the target, at most a few seconds delay. If it does not have effect it means that the hit did not strike the target on the mark and in the right way.

IMHO, instead of debating whether a hit to the back of the neck along the spine at the base of the skull is or isn't effective... rather I think it should be pointed out how difficult it is to actually hit that point at a 90 degree angle AND stretch the spine/brain stem with good technique.

It is not an easy target to hit on a moving target, but if the spine is hit dead on with enough force to an unarmored target, it will have an effect.

It is recommended to stop the opponents momentum, grapple them, or somehow immobolize them before going for an elbow shot to the back of neck. I many cases it is recommended to do something such as a knee to the face, an elbow to the back of the shoulder between the spine and shoulder blade, or grabbing their throat, etc... before the shot to the back of the neck to temporarily immobilize the target. Go for bigger targets to set up the smaller targets.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006