EJU cancel European Championships over BJA/UFC partnership

Discussion in 'Judo' started by holyheadjch, Feb 14, 2015.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

from http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/news/...uropean-judo-union-of-cancelled-european-judo

"The upcoming European Judo Championships in Glasgow have been withdrawn by the European Judo Union (EJU) following a disagreement over a partnership between British Judo and Ultimate Fighting Championship to promote and support the event.

British Judo still hopes to have the decision reversed but released the following statement to explain the current position.

British Judo, working in partnership with Glasgow Life, UK Sport, Event Scotland and Judo Scotland, had successfully bid to host the championships in June 2013, but the EJU stated in communications on Friday 13th February to pull the event following the announcement of a partnership between British Judo and UFC who planned to support and help promote the Championships.

Andrew Scoular, British Judo Chief Executive, said: “It is with deep regret that we have to confirm this news. We have done everything we can to make the European Judo Championships a success, working tirelessly with our partners at UK Sport, Event Scotland, Glasgow Life and the EJU since being awarded the games nearly two years ago. We were excited to be in the final planning stages to deliver what would have been a fantastic celebration of judo for thousands of spectators and hundreds of athletes as well as another major sporting event for the United Kingdom and the city of Glasgow.

Following discussions with the EJU we had cancelled the agreement with UFC to ensure we could still host the Championships. We are extremely disappointed to have had the European Judo Championships taken away from us in this way and for this reason and so following the communication with the EJU on Friday evening we have asked to meet in the hope the decision can be reversed to allow us to still deliver the event as planned.”

British Judo are in discussion with legal advisors and continue to seek direct communication with the EJU and until further notice will not be making any more statements on this matter."

What utter douchbags.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

What's the laymans way of saying that?

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

What an unbelievably stupid ruling.

4. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

i am so disillusioned with judo on an organisational level. I still love the art/sport but I totaly don't get how it's run over here.

5. holyheadjch

I'm just shocked that a judo organisation can leave me more frustrated and angry than the BJA normally does. The EJU have set a whole new standard for short-sighted asshattery.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The european judo guys hate the ufc and will issue a burn notice on an entire country's org just for taking their free money.

7. holyheadjch

The irony being that Ronda Rousey is the best free advertising Judo has probably ever had. Nobody knows who Riner or Iliadis or Zantaraia is, but everyone with any MA connection at all knows who Rousey is.

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Do they hate it for making a partnership with an outside non-judo group, or as a problem with mma?

9. holyheadjch

It's MMA. They (the French especially) are scared that they'll lose the next generation of Teddys to MMA. Somehow they think that kicking the BJA in the nuts and turning down a load of outside money is going to stop that from happening.

10. FunnyBadger

In the whole history of great plans ...

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Because the BJJ Mundials are so under supported and Jitz is in such decline because of it's relationship with MMA.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Is it still the whole cage fighting/rooster fighting stigma still attached to it? Or is there an underlying reason?

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The worst plan since Abraham Lincoln said " I'm sick of hanging round the house, lets go take in a show...."

14. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Professional fighting is in direct opposition to the ethics of the Kodokan, which are constructed around a 19th Century muscular Christianity amateurism.

15. holyheadjch

The EJU aren't the Kodokan and I don't think they would tank their flagship event over an objection to players being paid. The head of the French association (which is the biggest in Europe) has said that he considers MMA to be beneath human dignity. This is really just a follow up from the IJF's no competing in BJJ memo from a few months ago.

16. FunnyBadger

The politics in European judo are just plain mental. I think using a magic 8 ball to make decisions would produce more sensible and popular outcomes.

I suggest we scrap the bja, eju and ijf and replace them with a magic 8 ball :)

Edit - why stop there though? I'm voting for the magic 8 ball party in the next election :)

17. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Ironically all their crap to desperately preserve whatever fantasy land of judo they have is doing harm. Holy pointed out how Rousey is huge advertising for them, but just generally all these stories have got to put people off. I know they've made me hesitant to get involved with clubs under them in the future and that was off the rule changes alone. These kind of stories are icing on an already unpleasant cake

18. holyheadjch

Don't confuse the association with the clubs. No one hates the associations more than the clubs that operate under them.

For me, the rule changes aren't a huge deal and they've made Judo a much better spectator sport (I've spent all of today watching the Oberwart Open on youtube). If anything they just widen the gap between Judo and BJJ slightly, which makes it more worthwhile to train both. Want leg grab takedowns - BJJ is for you. Want air-mile worthy hip throws - Judo. Lots of slow tactical grinding groundwork? - BJJ.

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Kimura did it so bang goes another theory.....

20. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I know relatively resently my son was being taught many things now disallowed in competition judo. The instructors just told them what couldn't be used in competition