Effects of Practice

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Light123, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

What kind of healing does practicing martial arts have on people in different styles/forms?

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

The short story is that no martial arts "heal" you. Martial arts have health benefits, and the practice of some martial arts (Taiji, Xingyi, Pakua, and Liu He Ba Fa, even many of the northern arts) are very oriented around the health benefits.

3. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Can you be a wee bit more specific as to what you deam as 'healing'?
    I know it's pretty obvious, but given it's an odd question, maybe you want to elaborate?

4. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I find that I need to heal for most of the next morning after my BJJ training. Sometimes, if I'm particularly bruised, I'll want to heal for a bit longer.

5. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

If you are talking about rate of healing, martial arts training (or any repetitive athletics) does condition your body over time to be less damaged by what you are doing (within reason of course, repetitive strain can happen too) and to heal from injury faster (again within reason).

Anecdotally, I think martial arts sees more of these positive effects and less repetitive strain issues than other athletic endeavors because it tends to have less singularly repetitive motion (unless of course you do one punch all day long, which I know wears my joints out more than I like).

6. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

stress reducer

7. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

Adrenaline high.

"Blasting pads/bags high" IMO is a lot quicker to get than "runner's high."

I swear it's like a drug.

8. Light123

Well, I guess I'll define myself.

What I meant was, for example, if you have some walking/balance problem and need walking support (i.e. walker, crutches, cane) can martial arts fix you?

9. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Depends on many factors...

Mainly the reasons for needing support.

If its a balance/alignment problem then TaijiQuan has been proven to greatly assist balance in elderly people who have never done MA before. So for younger people who practice it, the benefits are much more profound.

One of the most common misalignments, imo, is the pelvis. One side dropped or raised causes the person to, over time, compensate for it by adopting a different way of holding their body. By correcting the pelvic 'tilt'...(repeatedly at first)...combined with standing excercises with a teacher to correct the body posture..it is possible to fix a lot of such problems

The IMA's generally put correct body alignment as paramount in the training. It takes time, but you become aware if your body is out of line and can correct it. Took me about 6 years to self diagnose. :Angel:

10. Light123

If I try to balance myself on my knees without sitting on my feet.....BOOM! What was that?...I fall on my face.