Effective Technique

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Keikai-Tsutsumi, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Nice post Keikai.

Nice description of what happens most of the time IME.

What I would question is why do you say only striking techniques work? There are plenty of grappling techniques that will work from this position such as the valley drop, single leg takedown, double leg takedown, and the guillotine choke.

The key to these are once posture is broken at the hips so that the butt is back, the rest of the technique is used to continue to break that posture until the person is unbalanced in the direction the majority of the mass is in.

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

POINTS ON ATEMI

While atemi can be a strike to a vital point it is also used to engage the other hand so that he may not continue to attack. In the photo the atemi could have gotten through but since Derek is trained in atemi he manages to cover it this means I can execute a technique on the defending arm such as ikkyo. The atemi has broken his timing and rythm leaving him vulnerable to a number of techniques.

regards koyo
    The photo clearly shows atemi used to unbalance backwards to the side.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Good points.
    In this instance we used a large single bladed rubber knife with the blade end coming out at the thumb. The alternative to this is to hold it blade end coming out at the little finger. You can vary as to whether it is single or double bladed and I tend to assume that every knife has two blades until proven otherwise.
    This particular form of grab was chosen because it makes no difference which way the blade is. The form we actually drilled is the most logical method to threaten with the blade but it could have gone either way without any significantly increased threat of getting cut.

Naturally if you are shorter than average you should look for targets that are more accesible to you.

4. John Titchen

Excellent point. I'm usually looking to finish by shoving the guy sideways onto the ground (as you can see in the first video where I drop the knife by mistake and buy myself time by stepping on it and pushing the other guy away) or by hitting the base of their skull, so bent over is a position I'm comfortable with.

5. John Titchen

A Good Point. I'd describe this as keeping the initiative or regaining the initiative by placing thae attacker's mind on what is happening to them rather than on what they can try to do to you.

6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Yeah, I learned something here. Other movements I tried from the outside often ended up with me cutting myself. The inside worked better.

Yes, I'm five and a half feet tall, most everyone else is a half a foot on average taller than me, some a foot taller.

We drill our stages of combat for this sort of situation. Stage 1 is stand up, stage 2 is crouched, stage 3 is kneeling or on one knee, stage 4 is on the ground. So we work on how to attack and defend against someone through the stages.

In my opinion, unlike what you did koyo, the use of atemi to only get a reaction from the opponent is not very reliable in low light conditions or when unfamiliar with the opponent to know how they are likely to respond. This is because they might not see the attack soon enough to react to it and because some people will respond to thread differently than others.

What I like about your explanation koyo is that the atemi was intending to strike through the opponent, so if they did not defend they would be hit.

Now I think this goes along perfectly with effective technique. Already mentioned was timing, distance, and eluded to was angle of attack, but what is it called that one can change the timing, distance, and angle of attack mid way (half-way) through the technique?

Effective technique is not always the most direct path, a strike that uses a slight crescent path/shape rather than straight in can be effective in shielding the body and engaging the opponent's defending or attacking arm. This shape combined with the changing of speed and angle of attack at the halfway point can make it very tough for the opponent to defend or attack at close range.

I would be so bold to say that I've found this to be one of the "secrets" of good atemi. Of course this is in my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  7. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Changing the timing or the direction of an atemi "half way" to the target is called sen no sen. Sen means intuition. If I see the technique coming and avoid it that will be called sen and is considered the least effective. If I see the attack coming and change my movenent or strike to intercept ot redirect it that is called sen no sen and is considered good. However if I "sense" an attack or see an opening and strike before the attacker can react this is called sen sen no sen and is considered to be the most effective.
    All sen techniques are dependant upon zanshin awareness.
    Hope this makes sense.

regards koyo