Effective striking the Russian way

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Paul Genge, Aug 4, 2005.

1. TheAngle

TheAngle Valued Member

Hey, if you train in slow motion,
    may be your eyes can see everything in slow motion.
    Just saying, not snapping on the Systema or the Systema opponents.

2. Ressla

Ressla Valued Member

Not yet.

3. vcamp

vcamp New Member

Hi Ressla
    This is for real and no strings attached, would you fancy training with one of the best instructors in the Bujinkan in the UK and myself (Bujinkan and systema). Have a mixed training session explore any questions in a fun and relaxed manner, with an opportunity to spar (friendly) in a relaxed manner. Would welcome your input and views on martial arts. Let me know if interested. Bring along whoever you like.
    Vinny Campbell

4. snow_tiger

snow_tiger New Member

Not to dump on Systema, by any stretch. I have viewed the video series and printed materials and respect the concepts, etc...

However, could any of the systema guys here elaborate on some things I found of interest in the knife attack sequences above?

Most notably that the "defender" seemed a bit laxidazical in his additude toward the knife itself. In my years of knife defense training, I have been drilled in two hard and fast rules: Most importantly, get out of the way of it; secondly, secure it. The defender above seemed to not care about securing the knife, nor controlling the aggressor once he was down.

I saw many opportunities for the aggressor to slice or stab the defender while going down or while down. And, even if not, the defender then backed off many times, leaving the knife-wielding aggressor there to come again.

I know there are many subtleties that I am probably not seeing, but am I to believe the systema's form of training is to trust that the strikes and takedowns will be guaranteed effective to the point that we can just leave the weapon with the devistated assailant?

Thanks!

5. Faminedynasty

Faminedynasty Valued Member

I didn't watch the video, but I've seen systema practitioners sparring in person. Many of their techniques are wonderfully brutal and I have complete respect for their martial art, and I most certainly do not doubt its effectiveness for an instant.

6. Blunt Blade

Blunt Blade Valued Member

Knives as we know are not dangerous when in the cupboard, they are when people choose to pick them up and wave them around though. I believe that in Systema we are more concerned with the person wielding the knife than totally focussing on the blade, working for a securing manouvre as Snow Tiger says.

If we spend to much time and energy chasing the knife hand, we are forgetting to move continually which is one of the cornerstones of our art.

Clips generally don't do the business for me, better to get yourself down to a session or two to get a much greater understanding and feeling for what is going on. Then all of your questions will be answered.

I hope...

Paul

7. snow_tiger

snow_tiger New Member

Thanks for the reply Paul. I'll asume that you are the "Paul" on the video and compliment you on the level of expertise you show in the video clips. Well done and good show, mate.

I agree with you that one should not be single-minded in any confrontation. I also agree that video isn't where it's at and can't convey subtleties and/or the bluntness of an action. I respect what you guys do, and won't press the issue.

Again, thanks.

8. vcamp

vcamp New Member

Systema

Very refreshing to hear sensible arguments about knife defence and the system. All I can say is travel to Canada or Russia and train with Vlad or Michael. You will not be disappointed.

Vinny Campbell

9. Blunt Blade

Blunt Blade Valued Member

Sorry Snow Tiger but I am not that Paul, the fella on the clip is Paul Genge, an instructor in Manchester. I am a much lower level kind of Systema man, but am sure he would appreciate your comments.

Open minds and hearts are the future of honest debate and exchange.

Keep it up.

Paul

10. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

It never stops to amaze me with Systema how you can take a group of people, show them the same piece of work and get such a variety of reactions. In proffesional work we are taught to work in a manner where it is often impossible for the untrained observer to work out what happened. Sometimes even the person on the receiving end is left stumped as to what caused their demise.

From experience I can even tell you that when you work in a relaxed and instinctual manner it is often difficult to recall exactly what has happened. Even when it was you who did the work.

Some people will only think a person or a style is strong if you pull an aggressive face or use a strong looking technique. The reality is there are people out there that can remove all of us from this earth with a smile on their face and so little effort you can not see what happened. If as martial artists we aspire to this level of mastery, we have to train with real masters. In systema I have had that opportunity.

What ever style you do look for the people who get the work done with less effort. These are the people who really have power and understanding, study from them.

Paul Genge

11. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

I have recently redone the cip on the last page. The person taking the strikes is a doorman with a competitive history in MMA. Previous to training with us he fought MT and BJJ.

Whilst watching the clip notice how he goes from using tension (that fails him) to relaxed movement to disipate the strike and eventually return them.

Paul Genge