Effective striking the Russian way

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Paul Genge, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

The following is a link to an article on the basics of learning to strike. It includes both punching and open hand strikes. There is also a video that accompanies the article that illustrates the drills described and shows using strikes against full speed knife attacks.

I hope you enjoy it.

Paul Genge
    Russian Martial Arts Northwest

2. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

Ahhh systema...

As silly as the systema crowd looks, I believe there is some decent stuff there.

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I think so. Focusing on breathing and posture, and doing techniques that come naturally to the body. Kind of sounds like CMA. I really like the looks of it personally. I think it would be a neat art for anyone to look into.

4. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Silly? In what way? What they're wearing or what they're doing?

5. Anomandaris

Anomandaris New Member

I'd love to see some of that in full force and speed, it really pretty cool from a self defence side of things.

I especially like the head rolling in those pistol defences...just seems so obvious and yet I havent seen other styles that do it.

6. Unisonus

Unisonus Bloody Rare, Please

Martial arts rip off.

7. Anomandaris

Anomandaris New Member

errr?

it is a martial art...

thats like saying Karate it a Wushu rip off.

8. oldman

oldman Banned Banned

We used to train something like that in laugar many years ago in the eighties
    I thought all systems had a principle of that. Riding and absorbing punches with breathing and posture?

9. CosmicFish

Here we go again . . . I wonder, is there any martial art that isn't put down by anybody? Somehow I doubt it.

10. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

OK I'll bite!!

Explain why you consider it a rip off??

I take it that you have studied Systema and have an understanding of the principles within it and the history of it’s evolution?

I mean surely you haven’t just dismissed it out of hand without any real knowledge or experience?

Have you?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  11. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

Systema is awesome.

12. CosmicFish

LOL! Rooting for the other side are you firecoins? ;)

13. firecoins

I have watched Systema classes at fighthouse www.fighthouse.com. Its good stuff. I don't have the time or money to take classes suring the week there so I don't.

14. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Something about the Russian Special Forces style of kickin ass in the morning and takin names in the evening... looks like pain.
    I'd take it if I wasn't already studying elsewhere :)

15. Ressla

Ressla Valued Member

Having watched the clips , I find myself in agreement with the Bullshido crew.

16. Lord Spooky

Well of course watching "clips" gives you a complete understanding of an art! :rolleyes:

Again it's nice to see someone make an informed judgement :bang:

17. Ressla

Ressla Valued Member

I dont give a monkeys whether a clip gives me a "complete understanding" of the art or not. What I do expect , however, is for the clip to demonstrate the efficacy of the techniques in question, particularly when the practitioner emphasises the real world practicality of them.

Having somebody lunge at you half heartedly with a knife ( even at ahem "full speed") and putting up zero resistance to a disarm doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Even if a few of the clips were at the attackers "full speed" they certainly werent at full intent.

18. Lord Spooky

As you're going to comment regardless of if you know what you are talking about or not???

hmm techniques :rolleyes: er where? I didn't see any techniques being shown just training drills.

19. firecoins

I do not study systema but I have witnessed classes. It is the real deal. Clips look "silly" but so does wearing Japanese underwear.

20. Ressla

Ressla Valued Member

If you bother to check the rest of the site there are videos of defences against "full speed knife attacks" which Paul Genge alludes to in his first post.

Allowing for the fact that skills are often poorly communicated over the medium of video, the techniques shown are IMHO not very impressive or realistic.

If all the videos on the site were "drills" this may be forgivable, but the implication is clear that he expects us to accept that many are "full speed" defences.