Edit button disappeared?

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Morik, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I just posted to my training log and noticed there was no edit link.

2. Morik

Confirmed here--no edit button for this post either.

3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I just edited a post in another thread no problem.

It wouldn't match up with times you've posted here, but could it be a problem, that the edit-timer ran out?

EDIT: Personally I can still edit; including here.

4. Morik

The button wasn't present immediately after posting, both in my log & here.

5. Morik

Screenshot:

NoEdit.png

6. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Not sure why you have lost your ability to edit Morik, but the edit function does not seem to be a universal function available to all MAPpers. I personally have never (not since the site update) had the ability to edit my posts, nor I believe has Nachi (though I could misrembering that), so it may be just that something has changed behind the scenes, that is limited to random profiles.

Travess

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I can't see a reason why you can't edit, but given a couple of other reported issues I will take a further look.

It's early morning in the UK and I'm teaching tonight, so it may be tomorrow before I can give it the time it needs.

I'll update once done.

I'd like others to post here if they are having the same issues.

Travess likes this.
  8. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Travess is right, I've never even seen this mysterious edit button! :D

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Testing, testing.

Edit: edit button is visible and functionable.

Simon likes this.
  10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i can't say i've seen an edit button since the migration. where is this button supposed to be located?

11. Simon

This should be a simple fix when I can get a free 30 minutes.

Within the software there are user groups, so supporting member, member, registered user and so on.

Each user group has a group of permissions ranging from what you can access, to whether you can edit, how long for, up to things like linking images and videos and what sort of avatar you can have.

I thought I has set them all correctly, but alas it seems not.

I will get it done soon, promise.

Giovanni likes this.
  12. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

no hurries on my end. it's nice to know that it's just a permission issue. thank you simon!

13. Simon

I have made some changes, so can those that didn't have the edit function let me know if my fix worked?

Travess likes this.
  14. Travess

Didn't work!

*Edit: Yes it did ;)

Travess

aaradia, axelb and Simon like this.
  15. Simon

Good, it seemed that the supporters had lost the ability to edit.

I've set the ability to edit to 10 minutes, so after that you'll not be able to edit your posts.

The reason that is done is so a member has to stand by what they said. They can't go back a week later and edit something they shouldn't have said.

axelb and Travess like this.
  16. Travess

Just for typos in my case, but I can certainly see why a time restriction is in place.

Travess

axelb and Simon like this.
  17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I use it for two reasons: When I forgot something and therefore want to add a sentence or two.

And secondly for something similar as you point, just that I like to call it "raping the language" ;)

But I'm very glad, that posts can't be edited so long.
    In another forum I'm a member was a person, that would edit his posts all the time, when someone would disagree or critizise something, so a discussion became impossible.
    Since then I am totally for a reasonable time restraint!

Simon, Travess and axelb like this.
  18. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Is there any way that I can get the ability to have access to the edit button for a longer period of time, specifically just for the workout/activity log I'm starting? I like to keep events of one day in one post for easier reference. Prior to the changes I did that with my boxing journey log a lot, and updated the day's activities with the edit button. So for example if I wake up and do a fasted 3 mile walk, I could post it right after as I'm eating breakfast, come back and edit in the workout after I finish in the evening, and then update another 3 mile walk in at night and incorporate the final step count and other general information for the day.

"Sod off, learn to write on soggy paper as you sweat all over it trying to log things" is a perfectly acceptable answer for me. It just makes it easier for me because I can usually log specific events after I finish them due to drying off and getting a bite to eat to re-nourish. No worries if it's too much trouble or if it's a "we can't extend such a privilege to one person" type of deal, just thought I would ask : P

19. Morik

I also wouldn't mind longer edit access in the training logs section.

20. Simon

Trust the American to want more time to talk about himself. :p

Over the next few days I'm moving house, so as soon as I get some time I'll investigate the possibilities of increasing the edit time across this forum.

Not sure if it's possible, but I'll check.

aikiMac, Ero-Sennin and Van Zandt like this.