Edged & Impact Concepts with Kuya Doug Marcaida

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by MadMonk108, Jun 11, 2013.

1. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Just finished up a two day gathering at TryUmph Martial Arts in Millersville, Maryland with Kuya Doug Marcaida & the Brotherhood of the Blade. The topic centered around core themes of motion found in Brotherhood Kali, as expressed across a variety of modalities; starting from doble baston to empty hands.

One of the things that distinguishes Brotherhood Kali and the training this weekend is the starting point of doble baston, rather than solo baston. For Kuya Doug, everything is sinawali. Sinawali isn't just a bunch of heaven and earth patterns for clicking sticks together with a partner. It's all sinawali. Solo baston? Sinawali. Empty hand hubud? It's sinawali. So Brotherhood Kali training this weekend started with doble baston to develop coordination for both hands that would lead into the other methodologies.

The majority of the doble baston work on the first day focused on basic shielding & striking patterns. This then moved into solo baston & live hand work. This section focused on utilizing the same sinawali concepts from doble baston to apply takedowns and locks. Some of that is featured in the video below.

We then transitioned to using the scarf against knife and empty hand. It's always fun choking people with ladies' neck wear. What was unique about the scarf was that it was not based off of sarong techniques, but grew out of the previous methodologies of sinawali and solo baston.

The real treat of the seminar was the Bam Bam, a free gift from Kuya Doug to the attendees. Many FMA instructors talk about how the functionality of FMA extends to every day objects, but how many of us have actually picked up say...a corded teleophone set and drilled with it against an opponent? Kuya Doug Marcaida actually walks that talk and the Bam Bam is the result of being inspired by a recent visit to the hardware store. A small hand hammer, the Bam Bam provided a wealth of training opportunities with various striking surfaces, and wells as hooking and fistload use similar to a karambit. I personally liked the fistload uses, though I have to say that getting hooked in the trachea was not too pleasant.

Here is some footage from the first day of the seminar.

More second day material to follow.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4zs57mwYOw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4zs57mwYOw[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Kuya Doug consistently blows my mind - incredible movement and flow!

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Yeah - He's awesome. IIRC, he's in Euroland this year. Wouldn't mind going to the seminar.

Thanks for the post and vid. I look forward to seeing some more.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

He looks very smooth, effortless in his movement. Looking forward to more :)

Mitch

5. MadMonk108

Yeah, I think he's doing something Fred Mastro of Silat Defense System in Europe next year.

6. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Thanks!

and... slightly unrelated, the soundtrack was rad! What was it?

paul

7. MadMonk108

No clue.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

MadMonk,

Is Doug Marcaida local then? Or just in town for a seminar?

You're right. He's got a brilliant sense of flow about him. Watching him reminds me of watching Guro Dan at that event in DC a couple of years back.

9. MadMonk108

He's out of Rochester, New York, but is down here about four times a year. He's a very giving individual. Flow, or agos, is what he considers primary in Kali and what he looks for in his students. I've changed a lot of my training and teaching methodologies due to his influence.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Re-emphasizing sinawali? I really appreciated what you said about sinawali as more than just two-man clicking drills. I haven't emphasized sinawali for some time, for that same reason. But I'm beginning to reevaluate that again.

11. MadMonk108

Not just re-emphasizing it, but completely changing the way I teach it and train it. The way I was taught and had practiced all the myriad Heaven and Earth type drills, and the way you see it done largely across the board in FMA just isn't functional, at all. It may be called a fighting technique, but in reality all you're doing is just a time and reaction drill. The way Kuya Doug breaks it down, teaches, and applies it is completely different. I've been doing Kali for 10 years, drilling sinawali for 10 years, but after my first seminar with Kuya Doug, that was really the first time I "did" sinawali.

12. MadMonk108

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMHZLeO0NTA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMHZLeO0NTA[/ame]

Here's the video for the second part of the seminar.

13. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

14. Hannibal

AWESOME!!!!!!

15. MadMonk108

If the Bujinkan trained functionally instead of playing around in imaginary samurai armor, perhaps.

16. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

That's a sig there. :D

17. Hannibal

When do we get the footage of you drinking Doug into oblivion? (at leats i know I am in good company in the "Wrecked by Auslander" club)

18. MadMonk108

You are perhaps referring to the infamous picture that made its rounds on Facebook?

Not to worry, Kuya Doug was standing at the end of the night. That picture was staged.

I still drank you under the table though.

19. Hannibal

If you want to get pedantic you drank me out of the tent too.....one day i will have my revenge!!!

20. MadMonk108

Your presence will be expected at a Brotherhood of the Blade gathering in the near future then.