EDC (Every day carry)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Smitfire, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Ever since about 15 years old, I've always had a chain with my keys at the end. For me its so I dont forget my keys, but if there are other uses for them, so be it.
    Otherwise, phone n wallet and nothing else.

Altho I always have a bag with me, backpack etc.... just in case I end up spontaniously grocery shop. So in there, phone charger and portable battery for phones.

I keep thinking of buying a RFID card tho

2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Sorry..... I forgot... I carry a phone, sometimes 2...work makes me carry one 5 days a week...my wife makes me carry the other one 7 days a week

3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

For the love of all that is holy, do not do this. You can seriously damage tissues using tourniquets that are too narrow. If you want/need to have a tourniquet, get a proper one like a CAT or a SOFTT (and the training to use them).

4. SWC Sifu Ben

My personal EDC is:

Pockets:
    • Folding knife
    • Wallet
    • Keys
    • Phone
    • Pen
    • Flashlight
    • Second knife/mini multi tool (uses a box cutter blade)
    • Peanut lighter
    Backpack:
    • Boo boo kit (bandages, liquid bandage, antacids, pain relievers)
    • Rain poncho
    • Long sleeve wool shirt (in cold weather)
    • Water bottle
    • Battery bank and multiple power cables.
    • A couple of plastic bags (multiple uses)
    • A few Clif bars

5. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I feel even more inadequate than usual..... all I was carrying today, not including phones, was this

[​IMG]

Shmook likes this.
  6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Relax. I carry a SAM XT in my car's first aid kit, so the paracord certainly isn't my first choice (hence why I wrote "makeshift"). If absolutely nothing else is available and the patient is gushing blood out of a hole in the leg, wrapping the cord around a layer of clothing cut off above the wound will stop it cutting into the skin. As for training I've taken TCCC and FREC 3 & 4.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

But can you use a biro for a tracheostomy?! Or subdue an attacker with a rusty spoon?

Van Zandt likes this.
  8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I prefer a McDonald's straw for the former and a plastic credit card for the latter.

axelb likes this.
  9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Not those new cardboard ones. They go soggy in a milkshake before you've finished it so they'd have no chance in a neck cavity.

10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I have a couple of metal straws in the glove box for the rare occasion I need sustenance and I'm nowhere near a supermarket. Less than a fiver for six and a cleaning brush and probably handy for other uses that I'm yet to try.

11. SWC Sifu Ben

Oh I've just seen far too many people who think their t-shirt/belt/shoelace is "just as good" and also have zero training

12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Wow, you must have strong teeth!

13. Shmook

Shmook Valued Member

On my last first aid course it was suggested that stemming the bleed with whatever you have outweighs any future damage caused by a tourniquet, no matter what you use. Tissue damage/toxic shock were secondary to keeping the patient alive.

This was a couple of years ago though and I'm no doctor so could be incorrect. It seems reasonable to me though

14. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Fun anecdote, a few years ago I was pulled out of work as the first aider because a lad had been knocked off his motorbike and essentially had his foot ripped off , luckily a trauma doctor based in the military wing of the QE was passing and had already taken charge , so I was able to step back and just help as asked. He eventually decided the lad was losing too much blood and used one of the bystanders belt as a tourniquet , the lad lost his leg , but lived.

Shmook likes this.
  15. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

You only bite down on one once, that's for sure.

David Harrison likes this.
  16. SWC Sifu Ben

Sure....but we're talking about active planning versus improvisation here. If you were someone who didn't plan the things you carry, which the very existence of this thread contraindicates. It's the equivalent of saying you can build a water filter out of dirt, rocks, and charcoal, when you have the option to choose to carry a filter ahead of time. Making your fallback your first line is, to put it kindly, less than ideal.

17. Shmook

Shmook Valued Member

Less than ideal, yes. However it's surely better than nothing. I carried a CAT Tourniquet on duty from when I joined up. I saw it as something that may help me. My force didn't issue them or advocate their use. Before I left the training team realised stabbings were on the increase and wanted training for this, but big bosses said no. Training team said basically anything is better than nothing. They couldn't issue them, nor train us for them but they wanted us to be aware that blood loss is a real thing that can ruin ones day.

18. SWC Sifu Ben

You shouldn't be planning on tools of last resort being your tools of first resort though, unless you're specifically prohibited from using better/proper equipment by departmental policy, local laws, extreme poverty, or unless you're simply not planning at all. The idea of "better than nothing" or "but it works well as an improvised tool" has no place in actively selecting gear.

If I told you that we were going back-country camping and you could either pack toilet paper or wipe with a pine cone you found (better than nothing), any sensible person is going to choose to bring the TP and you'd think anyone who wanted to wipe with the pine cone instead, was daft.

19. Shmook

Shmook Valued Member

We weren't issued the kit. I bought my own for use on me mainly, or a colleague.

Not everyone was willing to buy them. I was -planning ahead - so was prepared.

Not everyone had that mindset. I'm not condoning not carrying the right kit, but improvising is better than nothing.