Ebay

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by tom pain, Oct 8, 2004.

1. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

For anyone who has ever used ebay - how reliable is it? I'm thinking of buying a mobile phone on there but I've never used it before?

Does it come recommended and what is the procedure when buying?

2. Tika

Tika New Member

Id recomment ebay as your first source for almost anything you want to buy besides clothing. A lot of people use it to make money by buying things in bulk and selling them off for less than retail price. You can get good deals using ebay, and if you look at the sellers rating, you can easily weed out those that you dont want to buy something from. There are lots of people on there that have sold hundreds of items, and you can read buyer reviews. Its not hard to use either, you just gotta sign up and search for what you want.

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Be sure to thoroughly check the seller's feedback and really read the description with a fine tooth comb. As this thread shows, things on Ebay are not always what they seem. If you follow this advice, Ebay is a really great place to find bargains - I recently purchased 32 issues of Stormwatch (a great comic series) for £4!

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Why not clothing? I've bought loads of clothing for my kids on eBay.

Punky Fish, Emily Strange, Ruby Gloom - even some Kangaroo Poo & O'Neil for me :D

5. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

My 'big buy' was the PlayStation2 just about 2-years ago. Got 2 or 3 PS2 games from different suppliers since then.

I also got a 3-section hanging bag that can be filled with sand. Strung up in a doorway to give me something REAL to hit.

I take a lot of care checking the feedback - and had no problems at all so far. :)

Procedure when buying??? First get past the bidding stage. :D :D :D Lots of people hanging around for the last minute to put a slightly higher offer in - and a facility to bid 'up-to' a set amount makes it even more interesting.

If you do win, then e-mail messages go in both directions, and instructions for payment are given. I have always used cheque. The supplier verifies he has been paid, and ships the product. Any problems get back to the supplier (in case of unforseen circumstances), and then on to eBay if you're not satisfied. :woo:

Hope this helps.

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I'm wondering if you have more protection if you buy with a VISA card.

i.e. The card company will refund if the goods don't turn up or are faulty.

Especially if it's your parents card. :D

7. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

I buy all kinds of stuff off ebay and never had any problems other than slow shipping once. I recommend not buying fro anybody with less than 90% positive feedback and check their terms make sure your ok with them cause Ive seen some people try and trick you. For example they sale a brand new video game for $3 and charge $47.99 for shipping. So just read through make sure they dont try and rip you off.

8. Tika

Tika New Member

I guess thats just a personal opinion for me. I wont buy something if I cant try it on. Sizes vary too much.

9. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

the only advice I have...
    check the feedback on sellers
    -TkdWarrior-

10. tl Eric

tl Eric I think I'll have a Tab

And dont be hesitant to email the seller if you have any more questions, most will be more than happy to answer questions about the product. I bought a mobile off ebay 2 years a ago and couldnt be happier, it was my very purchase oh so many dollars ago!

11. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

I got ten kali/ eskrima/ arnis sticks off eBay for what two sticks would cost me locally. :D I was pretty happy about it.

12. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

i got an xbox and some games from ebay, as well as a few smaller items since. I would agree with everyone here, check the feedback. As a rule i don't buy from anyone with less than 100% positive feedback and at least 40 or so sales (otherwise the feedback loses a lot of its value). Make sure you check that the seller can deliver to you and accepts your payment methods before bidding as well :)

13. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

Since all above posts say what I was going to let me add that I have purchased numerous items from E-bay without incident...

14. tom pain

Ok here's the situation:

I want the phone, and I found this sale and I want to buy it on the off for the £150 - saving me £30 (it would be £180 with my Argos staff discount). However, my parents say it's a risk paying that much for something where there is no guarantee or place to return it if its faulty. And seeing as how it's their card I'll be using I have to convince them. Tough situation.

15. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Something that expensive from a person with so low a feedback rating, I'd be very careful. Have you sent them an email asking ???s? Find out their return policy. So far, I have had nothing but good things happen on eBay. When I need something, I go there first.

16. tom pain

You consider 92% to be a low rating?

I just e-mailed the guy asking for information regarding returns and such.

Any other opinions on this?

17. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Is it the case that if the item is faulty or duff, you can claim your money back from Ebay? Anyone know?

18. tom pain

I'll post his e-mail reply when I get it.

If anyone has experienced this sort of thing please post it - £150 is a lot for me and I don't want to risk losing it!

EDIT:And I just noticed Kgirl is from Wales. Whoo!

19. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Not so much the 92% as the fact they have only an 11. Means they haven't been selling vey long. Could be legit, most are, but raises flags with high $$$ items. That's why I asked if you had asked questions of them.

20. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I've only had one bad experience on ebay and luckily it didn't cost me much. I buy a lot of small stuff, nothing big though. Listen to Kurohana.