Eating for strength not size/weight?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Apotheosis, May 14, 2007.

1. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I want to preclude this by apologizing if this has been discussed over and over. I've been having trouble with my nutrition, I don't think I am eating enough protein and I think I am eating to much carbs....

I have been working out 5 days a week since January 1st(with some breaks due to emergency travel) using a routine based on Never Gymless and I have noticed very little results(I'm guessing it is my nutrition).

I currently weigh about 190 and I'm not sure how I should go about with my nutrition...is there any specific "method" that you should follow if you are going for performance over size/weight?

Thanks in advance guys

2. Garrett

Garrett Valued Member

You won't need more than 2g/kg/day protein. Even bodybuilders don't need that much. For you, 200grams of protein a day would be more than enough.
    If you're after performance, carbs are you best friend. Carbs get stored as glycogen in your muscles. Glycogen is the primary source of energy when you exercise at high intensities. If you are training 5 times a week, you need to load up on carbs to keep refilling your glycogen stores after every workout.
    I'd recommend at least 7-8g/kg/day of carbohydrates.
    After a workout is the most important time to get the carbs into you. It is when the enzyme glycogen synthase (the one that makes glycogen) is most active. Try to have 1g/kg/hr for the first 2 hours after a workout, especially if you plan on doing another hard workout the next day. This is most easily accomplished in liquid form. Quite often you won't feel like eating after a workout. I know i don't.

The other main thing is make sure you are eating enough in total. Your energy intake needs to be slightly more than your expenditure. If you're under your energy expenditure, it makes it harder to improve.

3. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Do you mean you don't mind size change or you want to avoid size change?

4. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I don't mind size change, but I would also prefer to be "strong for my size" if that makes any sense as opposed to simply gaining size....

5. cxw

cxw Valued Member

Do you think you currently have too much fat? It's quite hard to make something meaningful from stating you're 190 pounds. If you're 6% body fat you're actually reasonably big, but if you're 25% body fat you're not big.

Also, are you a competitive MAer? If so, what weight division do you fight in, and do you want to stay in that weight division, or do you want to go up or down?

In terms of overall size, the total calories are of most importance. If you eat 10,000 calories a day, you will get much bigger. If you eat 1,000 calories a day, you will get much smaller.

I'm not saying that either of the above will result in optimal composition changes (they're too extreme) but hopefully you get the idea.

In terms of fat loss, excercise does help, but your diet should be your main tool.

6. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I'm not a 6% of bodyfat, best guess would be maybe 14-16%(rough guess as I'm not that concerned about exact fat percentage).

Not atm(hopefully in the future) but ideally I would stay somewhere around 190 so I could cut to 185(if I fight competitively) but I also figure 190-195 is a good "size/weight" for me and my specific frame....Ideally I'd lose some of the fat I have and gain muscle but mostly I'm concerned about performance.

If I want to get stronger but don't want to gain 10 lbs, how should I eat?

I want to eat for performance as opposed to size and I'm not sure how to do so

7. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Like it or not you are going to gain some muscle mass. Now to do that you need protein. Proteins build muscles therefore without protein you can't get stronger. This does not mean that you do not need carbs. Think of carbs as energy, and proteins as building blocks. Don't limit yourself too strictly about the whole idea of eating to for energy but not eating for size. Just make sure most of your calories come from carbs and proteins, the least should be fat, but don't eliminate it completely because the body needs fat too.

8. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

agreed. if you want to gain the maximum amount of strength with less gains in muscle size, you need to be lifting heavy weights, which would be in the 1-6 reps max range. you will gain weight, but with every pound of muscle you put on, you'll get a big increase in strength. do you currently weight train? how many reps/sets do u do?

9. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I just want to clarify that I do understand that I will gain some muscle mass, I'm just wondering how to "maximize" strength for size, if that makes sense.

I'm currently following a routine based on Ross Enamait's books which for me mostly consists of low reps/heavy "weight" on the first day and on the next HIIT(followed by a day off and then repeat).

10. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

i know exactly where you're getting at. you want to have the maximum strength gains per pound of added muscle, and that's where i'm getting at too.

if you're doing low reps, high intensity, you should be fine. also it depends on your genetic make-up. some people gain more strength per pound of muscle when weight training than others, regardless of the intensity/program. but low reps-high intensity is the way to go. ross enamait is a very well known trainer/athlete, so his programs should be good to go.

11. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Thanks for the help, I have just one more question...

Should I eat any differently on the day that I do HIIT as opposed to strength workouts? (As well as on my off day?) Or should I eat the "same" everyday?

12. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

Keep protein levels constant regardless of training days or rest days, only tweak your carb intake if your not training that day.

no need for a pre-workout meal and post workout carbs if your not training.

just get some protein down your neck instead.

i.e.

keep the meal timings, just change what you eat

13. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Alright, thanks for all the help guys!!

14. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Just eat enough so that you don't feel hungry. After a certain point, your body won't increase in size unless you deliberately manipulate the amount of calories you're eating (and probably force down food in the process).