Easing into Wing Chun Again...maybe

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Xue Sheng, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Since the knee surgery I cannot do any Xingyiquan and it is likely I will not be able to do it again. I also cannot do Yang style Taijiquan or the Cheng Manching style. I am working on the Sun Short form, but that was it.

All things Xingyquan hurt my hips and knees for 1 to 2 days after I train it, and it is not a good hurt. Decided to give Siu Nim Tau a try and much to my surprise, the wing chun stance, appears to be helping my knees. Throw in Chair yoga and I am feeling better than I have in a while.

If Wing Chun Continues I will contact my second Wing Chun teacher and see if he will meet with me, tell me how horrible my Siu Nim Tau has gotten, correct it, and go from there.

I'm actually excited about this

axelb and Mitch like this.
  2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

A new challenge is a great thing! Onwards and upwards!

Xue Sheng likes this.
  3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Good luck! Go slow! (I would know lol)

Xue Sheng likes this.
  4. Xue Sheng

I've been Taijiquan for over 25 year..... I know slow :)

axelb, Mitch and Mushroom like this.
  5. Xue Sheng

Contacted the teacher, anytime I'm ready

axelb and Mitch like this.
  6. Best of luck!

Xue Sheng likes this.
  7. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Wow,cuz.Really sorry to hear that.Having struggled for about 10 years when younger with deteriorating cartilage in the knees I have sincere empathy. Hopefully you can continue the Sun,and might try higher posture/short steps and perhaps follow-stepping with the two Yang systems. Don't forget to coil the leg flesh!

Really too bad about the Hsing I.

As a side note,it's interesting that the Tung's now refer to their TC as Tung style,due to the inclusion of influence from the old Wu(Wu/Li/Hao) system,while most people look and see Yang system.

When someone can point out what is in Cheng's line that is not in Cheng-fu's or Shao-hou's line I'll buy it as a different system than a Yang.

Anyway,all the best,man.

Doc

Xue Sheng likes this.
  8. Xue Sheng

Than you

It depends on who you learned from, generation. I believe Tung style started with Dong Zeng Chen, younger grandson of Tung Ying Chieh. Dong Zeng Chen trained with his father, never with his grandfather. Tung Ying Chieh and all those who learned directly from him called it Yang style. My teacher was a student of Tung Ying CHieh so he call it Yang style. Tung Hu Ling, son of Tung Ying Cheih, father of Dong Zeng Chen, also called it Yang style. I also believe Tung Kai Ying was calling it Yang stlye as well, he to learned from his Grandfather. However I do not now if Tung Kai Ying now refers to it as Tung Style or not.And of course Alex Dong, son of Dong Zeng Chen, calls it Tung style. Actually, I don't think Jasmine Tung, daughter of Tung Ying Chieh, called it Dong style either. She was still teaching in Hong Kong until she passed away in 2009.

But the Yang family has made the statement that Tung Ying Chieh taught Yang style to his student, and his students learned Yang style, but they cannot teach Yang style. Basically I believe it is all a money thing as far as the Yang family is concerned.

Interesting thing about Yang Shaohou. A while back the current Yang family, to be more precise Yang Zhenduo, said that there was no line at all from Yang Shaohou, they were all gone. This my sifu found interesting because he knew they were in Hong Kong. Later, apparently someone called Yang Zhenduo on this and he then said he was happy to find, after much investigation, that there was a Yang line, still alive, from Yang Shaohou. Again my sifu was surprised, because they weren't hiding. However, per my sifu, none of those left in the Yang Shoahou line of the Yang family new any taijiquan.

9. Xue Sheng

@El Medico

Again thank you, I tried a higher stance last night and I was able to get to repulse monkey before my knee told me to stop

10. I am pretty lucky I don't have injuries so I feel pretty blessed. I did have a knee problem when I was a kid but that was due to growing. My problem is that due to the virus have no partner to train with so I am going it alone. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery.

11. Xue Sheng

Well, it appears that Wing Chun did the same thing as Xingyiquan as far as the knees are concerned, it just took longer. It felt great for awhile and then the knees started to hurt. They stopped hurting when I stopped Wing Chun.....

12. I do Wing Chun. I guess I am pretty lucky.

13. Xue Sheng

It's the stance in Siu Lim Tao, I have not given up, I am just not doing it until the knee stops hurting me on a regular basis.

14. I am pretty ignorant when it comes to knee problems. I learned Siu Lim Tao on my own and try and do it everyday.

15. Xue Sheng

Sadly I m rather experienced when it comes to knee problems and arthritis.

16. I hope you work through it.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  17. It sounds like you have done Wing Chun for awhile. Once the pandemic calms down how does one find a training partner? Have any ideas?

18. Xue Sheng

I started training Wing Chun twice, with to different teachers and all I got was Siu Lim Tao and Chi Sau.

I also did a lot of Push Hands vs Chi Sau with some Wing Chun guys. I am more Taijiquan than anything else and more Xingyiquan than Wing Chun. But I liked Wing Chun and I can't do Xingyiquan because of the knees so I got drawn back to Wing Chun. HAve not given up yet, just listening to the knee at the moment. MD appointment the end of this month, followup on the knee, will see where it goes from there

19. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

For me it's weird to read that people get problem from practising a certain art.

I think its really important that it's the art that suits the practitioner rather than the other way around. I had a guy that had knee problems, as in he had a new knee, and we adjusted our system around him and his limitations rather than him needed to adjust himself to the system and be in pain during training.

I know some systems has traditions and all that but this is our take on such matter.

20. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

No kiddin'. Too bad for them it's Yang,as is Cheng's.

A lot of political garbage was perpetrated against Shao-hou's disciples who refused to become inscribed as Cheng-fu's disciples after Shao-hou's death.Hence all these stories about how he was too rough and hardly anyone studied with him and his stuff doesn't survive.Which is jive,he just didn't get into the popularization thing and only taught disciples such as Chiang,Ch'ing-ling, or those sent to him by others,like Wu,Tu-nan who was sent by his master, Wu,C-c, to study with Shao-hou.

It's all about control and standardization which began in the 1st half of the last century. The Wus wanted the same thing,but the followers of Chuan Yuck remained independent.
    True for some function,but some training methods are so integral to the system that without them one cannot truly learn the system.Pa Kua for example is NOT a method for folks w/sketchy knees,period.But you could still take some things from it and teach someone how to hit somebody upside the head. But they ain't gonna have much real Pa Kua.Ever.