Dwarves and martial arts?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by LeaFirebender, Oct 28, 2011.

1. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

Haha so the question randomly popped into my head a couple days ago: I wonder if many dwarves do martial arts?

I mean, for the motions and techniques and stuff, I don't think being a dwarf would make any difference. But who would they have them spar against? I mean, there would probably be kids around their size, but the kid probably wouldn't be as strong cause they're younger ...

Anyone know anything about dwarves in martial arts?

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

there are a few videos of dwarf on dwarf muay thai matches, i think

3. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

They don't like grappling.

No-one tosses a dwarf.

4. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

I hear they've got a mean shin kick. But if I was to mention anything about Ninjutsu or BJJ, I'd probably be struck down from above. :Angel:

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Should women just fight other women in training? Or should they also fight men because a man is just as likely to attack them? If you agree with the latter, a little person should train against folks of average height as it's more likely to be an average-sized person who attacks them than another little person.

6. I agree with Kuma, the first law of mugging is to find someone smaller, weaker, at a disadvantage vs you! :)

Osu!

7. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

I don't know. Seems like you might also be increasing your chances of being shot in the jewels. :eek:

8. Or biten! :woo:

Osu!

9. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Agh! :eek:

Make that Double Agh! :eek:

10. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Not a Pratchett fan, I take it? :hat:

11. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Call me boring, but I think I could skip being bitten or chewed upon by an angry dwarf. :hat:

12. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

The man who developed Ziranmen kungfu was a dwarf. Apparently he had some mean skills.

13. LeaFirebender

Epic! I'll have to look it up!

Yeah i'd imagine they'd have a good shin kick :kick: . Maybe I'm just oblivious but I'm not getting the grappling thing ...

Definitely see your point, and agree, but usually people spar others (reasonably) within the same size range. Like I'm not gonna spar some huge ripped guy (cause I'd get killed), so I guess I was thinking off of that concept.

That is AMAZING :D

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

When you get attacked in real life, is it going to be someone who's going to be the same height and weight as you all the time? It's very valuable training to spar all different body types.

15. LeaFirebender

Yeah, like I said, I see that as valuable :) but I mean, I wouldn't want to spar someone that much bigger than me all the time. That's what I meant :)

16. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

My favorite sparring partner is about 8 inches taller than me and weighs about 100 pounds more than I do (but despite being so big, he has a mean Brazilian kick, a special kind of high roundhouse kick). I like fighting him as to me it's the worst case scenario idea. If I can give him a beating, someone half his size will be a lot easier. Train for bigger more often in my opinion, as bigger is more likely to be your attacker than smaller. But don't skip same size or smaller either.

17. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

I can imagine a lot would? I know if I was small I would be even more inclined to learn than I am now (I'm 6ft 5 and 16 stone) - But I know size doesn't always matter especially against multiple attackers, weapons, other fighters etc so I still intend to always study martial arts regardless

A lot of people who get "Small man syndrome" tend to study the arts don't they?

18. Fish Of Doom

*whistles innocently*

19. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Suppose you fall into that catagory then :p

20. Fish Of Doom

*jump-punches you in the knee*