DVD Storage...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Chimpcheng, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Hey all, got a question for you guys, how do you store your DVDs? And by DVDs I also mean other media such as Blu-Ray and video games...

I currently have about 600ish DVDs piled on the floor in one of my spare rooms and another 300+ in boxes in the garage. Now, I've searched the interweb and, of course, there's a whole bunch of shelving units and what not, but I wonder if anyone can recommend a particular unit?

Some of these things cost upwards of £300+ (yup, for shelves) and I don't fancy dropping that sort of wedge only to find that the shelves bow under weight.

Thanks all. :Angel:

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

For £300+ you could build bomb proof shelves of your own that don't sag. Ever. You can decide how flash you want to make them. Everything from angle iron and 3/4" marine ply to ornately scrolled Toledo iron brackets and mahogany... lol ok well that might get a bit pricey. But seriously if you're not a complete butter fingers with a drill and wood screws and a few masonry screws... you can easily bodge together some swell shelves.

On a more serious note... jeebus who actually has DVD's in this day and age!?! :p

4. Chimpcheng

Yeah, I did think about those things or putting everything onto a "movie server", but I think I want to put the discs (in their cases) on display as it were, i.e., shelving units. Of course this doesn't help me with my limited editions that come in briefcases (Bladerunner, Inception), Cigar Boxes (Scarface) or squishy Necronomicons (Evil Dead)...

5. Chimpcheng

What can I say? I don't like paying for digital downloads, for my money I got to have a disc, a case, inserts, covers, blah, blah, blah... I can't even fully embrace digital comic books, there's nothing quite like thumbing through the latest "Spider-Man" and then putting it back into its protective sleeve and backing board... :)

6. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

http://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

you youngsters will never understand. some days i still miss having a pc with a b:\ drive.

8. Chimpcheng

Maybe something that doesn't mean getting rid of anything, but, it's nice to know I have options... :D

9. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

lol yea but I bet if you went through all six hundred discs and were honest with yourself you would find plenty of stuff your never going to use again, could help streamline the collection and give you some money for those shelves :p

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Just get an Ikea "Billy" bookcase with extra shelves. Cheap, sturdy, easy to put together.

11. Chimpcheng

NO!!! I need them all, they're my babies!!!

Seriously though, I reckon I could perhaps lose maybe 400+ as you're right, it's stuff I'm probably never going to watch or play again. Actually, failing finding adequate storage/shelving, maybe it is time to cut some loose...

The same applies to my comic book collection which numbers (conservative estimate) 4000+...

Yeah, I'm one of THOSE people... :)

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

My DVDs are in a box in my spare room. I rip them to my PC when I buy them and then put the DVDs away.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  13. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

Lol i prefer having a DVD to be honest. I prefer to be able to physically touch the case and disc! While if its online i feel like its just floating around somewhere in the interwebz.

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I still got VHS

I would say start building an extensive shelving wall and then start cataloguing either by alphabetical/genre/biographical/linear.

You can then start storing secrets by placing an out of place DVD that when touched is actually a switch that opens a secret door to a Batcave whereas Viki Vale will be awaiting you with food and a fully stocked Xbox360 entertainment system.

15. Chimpcheng

16. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I just have a couple of the DVD albums. It makes it easier to sort for us as now we know this one is all kid movies, this one's my wife's show, this one's all my martial arts instructional DVDs, and so on.

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

18. Chimpcheng

I'm the one who does cleaning... :(

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Not that you let everyone know about it. :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  20. Chimpcheng

Erm, when I said cleaning I meant fighting! Street fighting to be more specific...