Dumog

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by stump, Aug 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stump

stump Supersub

I was wondering if many people around here had experience of Filipino grappling (Dumog) and could give their impressions of it in comparison to other grappling styles such as JJ, BJJ, Judo etc?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi

Dumog is not an art as such - it is a generic term for the grappling methods found within many Filipino arts.

I once asked my instructor (A native Filipino) about these "other arts" like Dumog (grappling), Panantukan (Filipino boxing) etc. He roared with laughter, then, after he'd calmed down, he said that asking a Filipino to teach you a grappling art called Dumog was like asking a Thai Boxing instructor to teach you an art called "Elbows". It's a part of the art - not AN art.

As a part fo the art it does not stand on it's own as say BJJ does. BUT - the dumog methods within FMA are very good though - they tend to focus on takedowns & manipulations to offset balance so that other elements like strikes etc can be used more effectively.

3. stump

stump Supersub

Thanks for the info Yoda

4. YODA

Here's some more info....

A review of a book called "Haribon Dumog Volume I - The Source Of Dumog Techniques - By Daniel G Rutano"

===============

I have seen some recent posts about Mr. Rutano's book, "Haribon Dumog, The
    Grappling and Wrestling Art of Central Philippines, Volume 1, Source of
    Dumog Techniques". I was able to get a copy of the book and will give a
    quick overview now and hopefully will submit a full book review in a couple
    of weeks time, if work and family commitments permit.
    Let's quickly list the chapters and their topics to give an idea of what the
    book offers:
    Chapter 1 - Overview of the Filipino Martial Art
    Chapter 2 - The Art of Dumog
    Chapter 3 - Origin of Dumog Techniques
    Chapter 4 - Seizing Techniques
    Chapter 5 - Single Stick/Sword
    Chapter 6 - Double Sticks or Sinawali
    Chapter 7 - Sword & Dagger (Spada y Daga)
    Chapter 8 - Knife/Dagger Techniques
    Chapter 9 - Dos Manos (Two Hands or Fists)
    Chapter 10 - Disarming Techniques
    Chapter 11 - Weapons Retention Techniques
    Chapter 12 - Panuntukan/Sinumbagay (Fist Fighting)

I quickly realized somebody reading the chapter summaries will wonder what
    they have to do with Dumog. To answer this I will use exerpts from Chapter
    3 of the book:
    "Dumog is not a separate art . . . . All the techniques in dumog, were all
    taken from weapons techniques, movements, and handling. To have a good
    understanding as to where dumog techniques actually came from, we need to
    breakdown the many principles and concepts found in various sub-systems
    within the Filipino martial art."
    Later in that chapter, Mr. Rutano writes,
    "In succeeding chapters, we will look at some of the principles, concepts
    and techniques common in most styles of Filipino martial art, and look at
    them in terms of grappling and wrestling mentality. Each of the sub-systems
    (single stick, double stick, stick and dagger, dos manos, panuntukan,
    sikaran, tanikalang kamay, staff, spear, kadena, etc.), will be covered, to
    show that dumog techniques is built-in in the system."

============================

5. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

Great posts Dave.

I've seen a few Dumog techniques (Paul Vunak video, Bob Breen and Rick Young seminars etc) and have added bits in to my sparring. There's some very interesting stuff in there.

6. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Dumo/Buno is Wrestling in the Filipines.
    It is A sport in Which send
    your apponent flat on his Back
    Control & Pin.

7. Stickgrappler

Stickgrappler Valued Member

8. YODA

Hi bud - long time no see / read :D

Good article on choke points etc. That stuff works well - whatever it's geographical & historical origins LOL!

9. Stickgrappler

Last edited: Dec 2, 2002
  10. YODA

........ for those that don't know my old buddy Stickgrappler. He has what is perhaps the biggest archive of martial arts related material on the web. Go take a peek but be warned - you may be there some time :D

11. Stickgrappler

LOL - thanks for the plug, lately with my co being taken over, and post 9/11, life is different for me.

i have to start working on my site again. i have many good informative threads saved, just not as much time working on the site.

i sent email care of your docepares site's email us link.

12. Stickgrappler

13. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

I've been doing Escrima(Doce Pares/Blind Princess) for a few months now, and am thoroughly enjoying it. Any good sites (uk) which have complete info on FMA.
    I will ask my instructor aswell.

Also one question. Does what has been said already mean that there is actually groundfighting in FMA?

14. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Absolutely. Of course, each system will have more or less groundfighting emphasis than another. But there is most definitely groundfighting in FMA in general.

Mike

15. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Hi Paul,

Yep the FMA have groundfighting, but its generally not emphasised due to the weapons aspect of the arts. If you go to the ground with a knife weildign opponent you _WILL_ get stabbed!

I believe one of the Gracies trained with Eric Knaus briefly in ground fighting with knives, and came to the conclusion that it was an area he needed to work on!!!!

Also, GF with a stick adds a whole new dimension to groundwork ;-)

Bill

16. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Wielding, I meant wielding...:-0

Bill

17. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Yup. As I've heard Dan Inosanto point out at seminars: any time you change the elements, you change the game completely. Groundfighting with a stick is a whole different world than without a stick. With a gi is different than with a sarong. With a knife is different than with stick.

Add some Jell-o and you got a party (Guro Dan didn't say that ... I just added it because I'm in a strange mood right now). :p

Mike

18. YODA

Howdy

It was John Machado that Eric Knause trained with and I think it's fair to say they both learned a thing or two. Add a stick to good grappling skills & you get to have some fun :D Go on the ground with a stick but without a good level of grappling skill to work it from and you will struggle.

Being on the ground against a knife is not good.

Heck - being on the ground is not good!

Being against a knife is not good.

However - if it occurs then we must deal with it. Getting cut or stabbed when a knife is involved is always a high possibility. "WILL" get stabbed is too much of a defeatist attitude for me (But still more likely than not). What is more important I feel is what we do about it if & when it happens.

The answer I feel is a "Three Pronged" approach to the problem...

1. A good level of skill on the ground - a combative and workable delivery system - BJJ is in my view the best delivery system for groundfighting. It gives a strong base from which to add other tools.

2. A good level of skill with a knife - "Know thine enemy" and all that. Then developing that into a level of skill AGAINST a knife - based on realistic training. I find the Doce Pares unarmed knife defences (as long as hey are trained combatively i.e. against resistance) to be just the ticket - based on simple principles i.e. Get control of the attacking limb, prfereably with both hands, do some damage, then disarm the knife.

3. Then, and only then, combine the above, train it, train it more, train it again - and then pray that you never have chance to try it for real!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2002
  19. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Cheers Bill,

See ya on Sat.

20. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Cheers guys,

Makes sence to avoid the ground when dealing with Knives, was more for the empty hand side. But I see they do.Any one know any sites concerning the gf of FMA.

Purely for empty hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.