Dummy Work and Chi Sao

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by KaliKuntaw, Jun 5, 2013.

1. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Hello folks.
    Just starting a thread as i was putting together today's lesson plan.
    Ill be teaching Jun Fan Dummy Set one and maybe 2 if it is well received. I know for me Chi Sao and dummy sets werent part of the concepts work but ive dropped a lot of FMA from my JKD lessons on purpose. I was taught Hubad and other energy drills instead. I decided to go back to Jun Fan Gung Fu as the base. I love FMA but i teach the little that i know separately. Each art progression is taught the way i learned it in order to let my people mix and match it how they see fit.

Do any of you do a similar thing?

2. MSNS

MSNS New Member

I am not an instructor, but I think what you are doing sounds great. I went to a JKD school a while ago, and I was really disappointed in how it was taught. Each class would be a blend of Kali, Kickboxing, Wing chun, and maybe more, and it just led to a low quality of teaching because attention to detail was small. I think each art should be taught separately, and the way it was meant to be taught. From there, its up to the students to interpret and express it the way they wish.

3. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Just FYI: In the organization I'm under, Jun Fan dummy sets 3 and 4 are taught before 1 and 2 because most students find 3 and 4 easier to learn.

4. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Interesting about 3 and 4, however since the Ip Man dummy set starts with one and 3 i keep it like that. 2 is kind of redundant but i figure repetition is a good thing.

5. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

When I practice on my own, I used to just go 1, 2, 3 ...10, then start that progression over again; however, since I would often got interrupted and not have time to finish my practice, I found I was getting a lot more reps of the early sets than the later sets. So I started going 1, 2,3 ...10 immediately followed by 10, 9, 8... 1. It evened out the reps quite a bit.

6. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I do the sets and then mix it up and free flow Vunak style.

7. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Also a good thing to do.