Dumbell training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by incubus, Jan 4, 2006.

1. incubus

incubus Valued Member

Just bought a pair of dumbells and have been training with them for a few days. Am interested in building more strength in arms & shoulders.
    I have been training MA for over 10years, and always went to the GYM to complement my training at the club.
    At the GYM, I normally focused on cardiovascular training.
    I need some tips on which type exercises I should do with these dumbells.

Thanks for your help.
    :Angel:

2. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

dumbell cleans, dumbell snatches, dumbell presses and the one handed variations of these exercises are all useful tools for training. if you have access to a bench you can also to dumbell bench presses.

good luck,

3. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

Are they the adjustable kind with seperate weights and collars? If they are my personal recommendation would be to put all the weights on one end and collar it up there - then grip the other end to do your exercises. Ta da! Clubbells!

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

5. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

though most of those exercises are isolationary and for bodybuilders or at least aesthetics rather than performance. for incubus to improve his MA training i would suggest a different kind of exercise

6. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I had a feeling someone would say that.

Concentrate more on the ones Iamraisen mentioned, the ones on the site dont do too often..

7. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

lol i wasnt being critical as the exercises on that site are legitimate. IMO there are better ones out there though. here some links

a brill article for funky DB lifting

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=822808

a tip of the week from the old school trainers

http://brookskubik.com/tip18.html

another one from t-nation. not quite as good bu the presence of the clean and press appeases me

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=315one2

an article on one armed training

http://www.naturalstrength.com/features/detail2.asp?AuthorID=33&ArticleID=545

hope tha helps a bit. dumbells can be used very effectively to train but tend to get a bad rep cus of bicep curls and the like.

8. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Iamraisen, no worries man, you were correct to say that.

Incubus, if you like the results you get from dumbbells, specifically from compound exercises such as the ones posted by Iamraisen, consider getting a Kettlebell in the future.

There are some more exercises here, their shown with a Kettlebell, but you can do most of them with a dumbbell. Also try Snatch to Press and Clean to Press, basically combining snatches and cleans with military press.

http://www.mikemahler.com/exercises_page.html

9. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

there is some good stuff on that website (even though, just like pavel, the emphasis is converting people to kettlebells ;) )

10. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

LOL .. have you been converted yet? I have, all you need is £60 :D

Seriously though, I quite like the things, there’s just something special about a big iron ball with a handle on it..

11. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i'd love to give them a proper run through however i have more pressing things on my H&F wishlist such as a powerrack for squatting!

on a side note i went on a walk on boxing day with my family and had the most intense workout of my life so far. i found a pile of freshly cut logs.i had a field day pressing them, carrying them, throwing them, sqatting with them. by the end my entire body was wrecked. it may not have been 5x5 but it sure as hell worked me hard :D

12. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

A cool thing I came across is a link from an anchor chain, it was around 30kg, and its shape is very dynamic. The only problem is getting one that is separate and intact, its a hell of a mission trying to separate them from the rest of the chain. There’s quite a lot of other cool stuff you can find at a shipyard.

Attached Files:

13. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

there are heavy things all around us :D

when i used to work in a DIY shop i used to use big bags of compost, gravel, sledgehammers, worktops and the like when things were quiet.

someone mentioned car engine part on the home gym thread yesterday, i know blessed samuri does tyre flipping and sled pulling. access to a gym is really never an excuse :p

14. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Kettlebells have turned me into a spetnaz warrior just as promised! ;) :p

Not quite, but they are damn good. And just like itspirit said, anyone who is into weights just can't help but find the lumps of iron amazing.

15. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i once saw a spetznaz display. each one of them were a carbon copy of john rambo!

they were somersaulting threw flaming hoops and throwing knives into a target at the same time.

16. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

17. incubus

incubus Valued Member

All links are very useful. Exactly what I was looking for.
    Just for curiostity, is there any advantages in using Kettlebells than dumbells ?
    Or is it just the latest craze ?

18. Combatant

In some exercies yes, they are. Are they essential?; absolutly not. They are just a nice tool that happen to be very versatile.

19. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

there is, but its not worth selling your dumbells just yet! get a good grounding with your existing dumbells and think about advancing to kettlebells at a later date. if you didnt already have dumbells i may say differently, but since kettlebells are so expensive i would stick with what you have for the moment.

20. Combatant

Yep, there only drawback is there price.