Dull groin pain?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by flaming, Mar 7, 2012.

1. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I have a dull groin pain on my right side and I don't know whats causing it?

2. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

Wow....I can't believe you just posted that on the internet. How old are you?

3. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

First thought, make sure its not appendicitis.

After that, you can try a tennis ball or preferably something smaller and harder, place it on a wall and roll it firmly around hip joint making sure to press deep in to the muscle tissue, then try the same above the groin, though this may be easier with your fingers.

I've had something like this before and it was caused by trigger points in the above mentioned areas. Might also be worth picking this up:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1572243759/ref=asc_df_15722437596881918?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=1572243759"]The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment for Pain Relief Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief: Amazon.co.uk: Clair Davies, Amber Davies: Books[/ame]

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

If I was to hazard a guess I'd say 24.

Also, see a Doctor dude.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Could be many things. Hernia, strain, DOMS, keys in your pocket....

6. Plenty of tendons attachments there too, and plenty of easy to strain muscles, nerves to pinch, etc...

You'll have to be more specific. :evil:

(No matter what, DO NOT use heat cream in that area... you have been warned! :D)

Osu!

7. Instructor_Jon

Might be as simple as switching from boxers to briefs too.

8. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I think its the psoas, illacius the upper part of the adductors. My right foot tends to point outwards when i'm standing if I dont think about it.

Thanks for all the replies so quick.

I don't see whats wrong with posting something about a groin strain on the internet. :confused:

9. Instructor_Jon

Nothing really man, sorry to raz you.

10. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Hey dude, try these:

The blue and orange coloured points in the pic from this link:

http://www.aidyourhamstring.com/hamstring-anatomy/hamstring-trigger-points.php

And the top two in this link:

http://www.tptherapy.com.au/groin-chart/

The trigger points most responsible will radiate pain out to your groin, you'll know when you find them. Also, a lot of these points are really deep set so you have to use quite a bit of preaasure.

11. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

actually..

You know OK has once again said it correctly.. where on the right side..
    and have you had an injury? There are a ton of possible nasties although more likely it is something simple. TBH best to go see someone trained to diagnose your problem before asking about treating a possible medical condition...

FWIW

LFD

12. Thank you LFD, you have to give this one to PASmith, I was just elaborating on his post... :)
    Except for the heat cream maybe :D

Osu!

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Often pains in that area can be hard to identify... because it's a junction point for many of the muscles. Both for insertion and origin points. And it's not just a single layer of muscle either... there are several layers. Much of what happens here is connected to your lumbar region (eg. lower back)...

Recently having pulled my rectus femoris I can agree that pinpointing the source of it can be aggravating.

You try to self assess... though obviously it should go without saying that if the pain increases or last longer than two or three days with rest - see a physio right away. They have the experience with subtle movements for assessment to narrow down what muscle it might be and how to go about getting back up to speed once you've let it heal.

A few questions:

1) Does it hurt to raise your leg... like you would... stepping up onto a high ledge with your knee coming towards your chest?
    (eg. concentric acceleration of hip flexion)

2) Does it hurt to be sitting down and extending the leg out from the knee?
    (eg. concentric acceleration of knee extension)

3) Does it hurt to externally rotate your foot? (eg. your foot rotation out away from your other foot)

All of the muscles in this area are completely integrated with damn near any movement. Almost any compound movement while standing hits these muscles in this area in some shape or form.

Also worth trying to pinpoint is whether or not the pain on in your frontal flexor chain or your posterior chain. Muscles from both groups originate and insert in this area... narrowing it down as much as possible will be good info to have.

And as funny as it sounds... pains in the groin area can also come from:

A) freeballing (eg. no underwear or boxers) no support for your scrotum can add up actually. If you're commando... give the boys a rest and get on the Beckham briefs. :p

B) girlfriend out of town for a while... no internet connection... saving up your chi... gone monastic... I think you get the point. :p

Hope that helps. Let us know how you get on. Unless of course it's under the A or B category. :confused:

14. flaming

flaming Valued Member

It doesn't hurt so much as I am exercising more afterwards. I used climb the stairs in my house 3 steps at a time so many times it would ache in the same area after doing that. My form probably wasn't good as I was going up and down the stairs my chest dropped.

At the moment i'm trying to learn to front squat and romanian deadlift properley, would adding split squats be a good idea?

I do glute bridges as well. Inverted rows, pushups, overhead presses and dumbell rows for the upper body.

15. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Jeez everyones a doctor arnt they ;)
    Go see your gp is the best answer you will EVER get

16. slipthejab

I think your missing the point here. I don't think anyone is saying they are a doctor or trying to be one.

The OP is asking a question and people are taking as stab at answering... and thus leads to conjecture etc. No one has tried to sell it like their answer is the be-all end-all... in fact if you read the posts I think you'd find many people clearly stated that he should seek professional help.

That being said there's nothing wrong with chiming in. That's what the forums are for obviously. If you're in a profession where you deal with enough of the aches and pains of not only your own body and with those of clients training similar regimens... you will end up having to do assessments - it comes with the territory. As the saying goes... if you don't assess you guess.

It's the internet so it's always going to be wise to take it with a grain of salt. But your mileage may very depending on your agenda.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  17. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Hasn't been so painfull last few days, my tfl had some painfull trigger points.

18. Instructor_Jon

Did you ever see a doc?

I had a similer problem last year. I was working aboard a ship at sea and going up and down a LOT of ladders. The doc told me to switch to briefs and the problem went away completely.

Permission to Raz me now :)

19. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Nah the doc would just perscribe ibuprofen.

20. slipthejab

Which in many cases is why I don't always jump to go see a GM or a general medicine doctor. Many times they just don't have the experience assessing sports type injuries. This is why if you are training hard and come up injured I'll generally suggest going to see a physio. In short order - if they're worth they're salt - they can give you a pretty quick assessment and see the imbalance, impingement, pull, strain or weakness.

However if you had an ingrown hair the size of a softball that was full of puss and about to blow out the sidewall of your scrotum... then no physio is going to treat that... they'll say it's a medical issue... not an issue for physio to deal with and send you right off to a gm or general medical doctor.

FWIW - don't knock Ibuprofen... it's very effective at taking down pain and taking down swelling to an extent (something Panadol won't do)... I keep a bit of it handy most days just in case. The key to it is... not overdoing it and not using it to mask the symptoms of a real injury and the continuing to train. Use it to be comfortable... but don't then just keep training when you know there is a problem that will aggravate your injury and make it worse.