Dual wielding

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by friendly virus, Feb 25, 2013.

1. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

2. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Is that an official form of KSW or freestyle?

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

are those really Katana?

4. KSWCreg

KSWCreg New Member

I am probably the wrong person to ask about that as I have not yet learned this form, although I know from training with master sungwoo alex suh that he always gives us a reason for everything we do, so there is bound to be one :)

5. KSWCreg

KSWCreg New Member

Yes Ma'am :)

6. ScottUK

Really?

7. KSWCreg

KSWCreg New Member

Official sir, although the "Jumping roll" that was done near the start was just to make it look cool for demo I believe.

8. KSWCreg

KSWCreg New Member

Yes Sir, I believe so :)

9. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

It's all very well and good flashing dual wielding in a demo, but what's the practicality of it all in live testing compared to using different length blades in each hand?

The whole point of a shorter offhand blade is to deal with an attacker that has cut inside the range of your primary blade (easier to stab with the blade, and generally manoeuvre it, due to the shorter length). How does using two blades of the same length compensate?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  10. ScottUK

Those are like no 'katana' I have ever seen. Do you have a better picture of a KSW sword? The kissaki length/shape and width of the blade suggest otherwise.

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I've seen dual rapiers used very effectively. Long and short are definitely simpler and have their advantages, but when used properly the length doesn't cause a problem - remembering you can always punch with the pommel or hand guard if the sword has one.

Of course that's European style rather than Eastern so I can't speak to the effectiveness of the above.

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Doubt it very much.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

As far as I can see KSW swords are straighter and heavier than a katana.
    Much like KSW I think they are a modern recreation of what people think korean martial arts and weapons used to be like. :)

14. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

15. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

16. KSWCreg

KSWCreg New Member

This looks very much like it sir. And as to the katana question that was being used as a generic term as in are they real blades which they obviously are. And obviously I can only comment and make a proper judgement about the style I have trained in, but I am very open to learning all about different ones, thats why I am here on this forum :)

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Both your arms are the same length. It's still convenient to use both hands in a fight.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah but it's recognised that weapons work best at certain ranges innit?
    So you can maximise your versatility by having a weapon for each range?
    Sword/dagger. Rifle/pistol/knife.
    That kind of thing?

Plus your arms can bend. :)

19. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Kali has doble baston and espada y daga, I've not noticed one being "superior" to the other , indeed in some ways the doble baston contains threats that aren't present with espada y daga.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

There are "ideal" ranges for various weapons, sure. But a fight (particularly one involving weapons) can resolve itself pretty quickly at one range.

On paper, I think that's logical, yeah. But watch some Dog Brother fights for instance. They're crashing ranges all the time. But still finding plenty of utility in two equal-length weapons. One sweeps the opponent's defense out of the way and the other comes in behind it for the hit. One parries the opponent's attack while the other simultaneously counters. Etc.

Many FMA styles (as an example) use 'kurbada witik' (curved flicking motions) to hit an opponent in the back whilst standing nose to nose with them. Just as an example of "bending" a stick to work at shorter range. One of my kidneys well remembers being dropped by my teacher during a sparring match that way.