drunk gets more than he bargained for in Thailand

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by fire cobra, Dec 5, 2011.

1. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7oYZpX91VM&feature=player_embedded"]crazy thai boxing - YouTube[/ame]

2. Kid Moe

Kid Moe Peace that don't belong

They didn't beat him enough... They should have stomped his head...

3. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

thought it was gonna be about some drunk who had a bad run in with kick-boxing ladyboys but this will suffice as entertainment.

4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

He's going to be hurting in the morning.... :' P

LFD

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Sigh. One more dumb farang who just has no clue. He's frankly lucky that's all that happened... you could easily fill this thread with vids of westerners getting filled in in Thailand. It can be cringable in Thailand to see the way many westerners act. Not that the Thai's are perfect... but the Thai's don't go to western countries and act like complete idiots. Embarrassing for the west.

6. TaekwonPRO

TaekwonPRO Valued Member

It's partially because Thailand is marketed as such a party location....

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

let me get this straight. some guy gets into a thai boxing match, kicks the little guy's ass, as they go to the ropes he gets attacked by a bunch of other boxers, they jump over the ropes into the ring and this is a good thing? what did this guy do to deserve that?

8. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Swinging like crazy on a smaller guy who is humoring him even though he's got no business in any ring in the first place, continuing to punch a downed opponent, trying to sling the guy out of the ring and continuing to attack halfway out of the ring, ignoring the ref's commands to stop, etc.

9. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Actually the guy attacked him while he was down, refused to back off when the ref tried to seperate them and then tried to throw him over the top rope. He asked for it plenty.

10. daggers

daggers Valued Member

could have gone either way, depends where the bets were heading and if the thais coach wanted a nice wager.

11. slipthejab

That is primarily something westerners do. You don't see any of that in the Thai tourism campaigns. But you can go online and find any number of fat slovenly ill mannered Westerners yammering on about which go-go bars are the best - which full moon parties are easiest to score drugs at and yadda yadda yadda.

Not that there aren't areas to party in Thailand... of course there are. But again my fact stands... it's Westerners who go their get ****ed/pilled up and then get into all sorts of trouble acting like idiots. You don't see loads of Thai's heading to the US or the UK to do the same. And there is a very sizable middle class in the Thai world with the means and the money to do so. But they don't.

12. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

I'm all in favor of stupid people getting hurt.

13. Giovanni

the ref decided to try to separate them after they hit the ropes and the other fighters started hitting the white boy. until that point, he was on the other side of the ring. yeah, he (the white boy) probably should have gotten himself out of the situation when that happened, instead of escalating. but it was poor refereeing and the other fighters that started it. in my opinion.

14. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

So a bunch of people stomp all over a single person and we're meant to celebrate this?

15. Giovanni

thank you! glad i'm not the only one horrified by this.

16. slipthejab

Not so sure it's a celebration per se. Perhaps an observation put in video form. There is a certain decorum that is observed in the ring and if you step outside that and can't handle what comes... then you have yourself to blame for that. Most ring sports have this phenomena and it's generally carefully adhered to. When it's not - generally speaking - all hell breaks loose. As per this vid.

17. slipthejab

Are you even watching the same video/fight?!

Have you ever watched a Muay Thai bout and understood it and the rules that it entails?

Is it ok to keep pounding your opponent when he's already down and the ref has waved you off? (@ 00:17) Have you confused MMA with Muay Thai for some reason? The foreigner here then runs to his corner and waves his hands to the crowd... clearly trying to give it the big I AM... not realizing it's an absolute fail.

@ 00:40 he then agains ingores the refs and starts swinging on a downed opponent. Again a massive fail in sportsmanship. The ref has clearly stepped in between him and his opponent. The ref hasn't done that because it makes his butt look smaller in those pants... he's done it because it's what happens when an opponent is knocked down under Muay Thai rules. He is then kept in his corner and clearly warned by the ref repeatedly.

Is it then ok to bend your opponent over the ropes and continue to punch after the ref is clearly on you to stop? @ 01:07 he bends his opponent over the ropes and continues to punch him. If you take a look before the ref can even get there everyone at ringside is trying to reach up and push them back. If you'd been to any Muay Thai bouts live you'd know this is a common occurrence. Needless to say for a fighter to topple over the ropes onto the concrete floor is very dangerous. Which is exactly why you're not allowed to continue swinging once your opponent is bent backwards over the ropes. Then.... the ref presses them... it's classic Muay Thai ref work... the press means both fighters are to stop and separate. But the big white fella continues to punch at which point all hell breaks loose. It's not unexpected. How many transgressions of a very clear ruleset do you expect him to be allowed to violate before tempers flare?

You really should go back and take a clear look at the vid... consider the rules and the regulations of Muay Thai and then come back and comment because your comments are out in left field. :bang:

But you're not horrified by someone that agrees to a certain ruleset and then goes on to violate those rules not once but twice?! What did you expect was going to happen!?

When the ref presses in on your and you're against the ropes - it's upon you to stop swinging at your opponent. Not continue with melee... bending your opponent over the ropes and continuing to swing isn't allowed under Muay Thai rules and is poorly looked upon. It's very poor sportsmanship on the farangs part that resulted in the foreigner taking a pounding.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  18. Giovanni

at 1:06, they hit the ropes. the ref is nowhere near enough to do anything. that's when the other guys start hitting whitey from outside. as a i mentioned, yes, the white boy should have de-escalated at that point. but obviously poor refereeing and the other guys hit him from out side the ring. that would **** anyone off. there's plenty of blame to go all around. and since when does 4-5 guys jumping into the ring to gang up on one person seem right, in any situation?

19. slipthejab

Go back and read the rest of my post (that I was adding to as you were typing). Your playing apologetics for an idiot foreigner in Thailand who agreed to the rules of the bout.. then broke them not 1 but 3 times. What planet are you living on that you think tempers won't flare?!

He made his bed and now he's got to lay in it ... boo hoo. If you can't show respect to the ref, the sport and the tradition in a country that places giving face high on the list then you deserve any resulting beating you get. Fact.

20. Giovanni

with all due respect, i'm really not. i think all are in the wrong and am frankly horrified by whitey, the ref and the thai fighters.

note to self....when in thailand don't get into ring!